Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by eugegall
Team can you guys help me with booking my first TP run?

I'm hitting a brick wall with a multi sector TP run please. I've not done one before.

Looking to do Europe to LAX or LAS via a few obvious routes such as ARN and JFK but with a few days in California.

Issue is, ITA Matrix won't let me add 3 stops such as LHR, ARN and JFK.

I literally cant price it anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Cheers
ARN isn't a oneworld hub, try via HEL if you really want to push TPs. California is best started in DUB at the moment, I doubt you'll get a HEL shuffle in there, but the prices are unbeatable.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:30 am

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by alex67500
ARN isn't a oneworld hub, try via HEL if you really want to push TPs. California is best started in DUB at the moment, I doubt you'll get a HEL shuffle in there, but the prices are unbeatable.
What rates are you seeing to CA ex-DUB? I'm only seeing $1600 whereas ex-SOF is pricing in at $1400 and allows for a HEL shuffle.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:21 am

Booked SFO from DUB in June with AA/BA yesterday:
LHR - DUB (positioning flight)
DUB - PHL
PHL - SFO
SFO - LHR
LHR - DUB
DUB - LHR (positioning flight - unless I skip last leg from LHR…)

All business (D) but full TPs.. Could have gone SFO-JFK-DUB return also for same price.

£1145 via Amex
Old Feb 21, 2022, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonGlobalist
LHR - DUB (positioning flight)
DUB - PHL
PHL - SFO
SFO - LHR
LHR - DUB
DUB - LHR (positioning flight - unless I skip last leg from LHR…)

All business (D) but full TPs.. Could have gone SFO-JFK-DUB return also for same price.

£1145 via Amex
Out of interest would adding a LAS or PHX into that route worked? Guessing it's Aer Lingus to the PHL?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Neil Scrivener
Out of interest would adding a LAS or PHX into that route worked? Guessing it's Aer Lingus to the PHL?
No - LAX bumped the price right up for some reason.
DUB - PHL is the AA 787-9…
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
That would be a bit more lucrative TP-wise - 140+140 vs 140+40.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I booked the same for Christmas earlier today. I had to call them because it was pricing on screen but throwing me out after the credit card payment saying it was invalid. Apparently the DUB-PHL on the day I wanted to travel was the cause.

Anyway, I ended up with DUB-LHR-JFK-SFO-JFK-LHR-DUB for €1,365 which is £1,136. Very nice over Christmas!

It also gets me the rest of the TPs I needed before 31 December to renew Gold at the lower rate, so happy days.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Example of what's available a few months out - I find that you sometimes get a good price if you want to start at DUB, but are combining with a SOF trip at the back end (or want to chance your arm and cancel the final leg for an FTV once you get to LHR?):

£1115 for DUB-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO-LAX-JFK-HEL-LHR-SOF (840TPs before you factor in any positioning flights)

Old Feb 21, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
What rates are you seeing to CA ex-DUB? I'm only seeing $1600 whereas ex-SOF is pricing in at $1400 and allows for a HEL shuffle.
Look at the fares above this post. The one great thing about the ex-DUB flights, even without the HEL shuffle, is that you can have them at short notice. I think people saw them as close as a week or two out. Sure, you're giving up on 160 TPs, but 640TPs (720 if you manage California hops) for ~£1,300 isn't bad last-minute.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by vintagepilot
I'm not a matrix expert by any stretch of the imagination but I think you probably need to split it into multi-city segments. You can find the basic fare, and likely start and finish dates, from GF or a basic matrix return but when you start to add intermediate points you need to split it up - using the dates you found earlier - and then trial and error.

Have a look at itineraries earlier in this thread to see how they have been split up - eg post #2261 or 2227 etc.
Originally Posted by efincomputer
If you're looking to do a few days in California, then I'd suggest looking to make that your final destination, and maybe just tack on a cheap domestic from either LA or SFO to LAS (or vice-versa, if you're looking to spend mores of the time in LAS). Also keep in mind that you can use Avios for cheap bookings for domestic flights in the US - an LAX to LAS leg is pricing out at 7500 Avios + £4.10 each way in economy, or 15000 Avios + £4.10 in Domestic First. Bearing in mind it's a little over an hour, I'd be inclined to go with the cheaper Avios option.

Can you give an idea of WHEN you are ideally looking at, as this has a bearing on pricing and schedule options, and how many days you're looking to stay at the other end?
Originally Posted by PxC
I had the same problem above, split it up more with multi city (ie. EU - LON, LON - destination for the outbound).
Try DUB-SFO for £1150 ish
I think the Spain - LAX fare has gone

My own question. Does anyone know why I can't split the current £1k DUB-CUN sale into more sectors? Does it have to be DUB-LON-Mexico?
Also, it won't let me do an open jaw DUB-CUN / SFO-DUB with the sale fares, any idea why? Usually it lets me mix sales/
Originally Posted by alex67500
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Forgive me. I have no idea how to split a booking. Can someone help please? If you could post an example itinerary that would be even better

We are looking to fly anytime after 8th October but before 30th November. Ideally earlier the better for me.

- I'd love to land in NYC at lunchtime and not fly out to west coast until next day mid morning to give us one night there
- We'd like to stay in LAX/LAS for 4 nights
- Routing wise, pretty flexible.

Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Forgive me. I have no idea how to split a booking. Can someone help please? If you could post an example itinerary that would be even better

We are looking to fly anytime after 8th October but before 30th November. Ideally earlier the better for me.

- I'd love to land in NYC at lunchtime and not fly out to west coast until next day mid morning to give us one night there
- We'd like to stay in LAX/LAS for 4 nights
- Routing wise, pretty flexible.

Can someone help please?

Thanks in advance.
To book an itinerary at a more complicated routing, you could use an external tool such as ITA Matrix to force an itinerary and then call BA, use bookwithmatrix.com if you wish to book on AA stock or use a travel agency to book those routings.

It might be a challenge to find an itinerary but as you're flexible in terms of date, you would be able to find something that would fit your needs.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
To book an itinerary at a more complicated routing, you could use an external tool such as ITA Matrix to force an itinerary and then call BA, use bookwithmatrix.com if you wish to book on AA stock or use a travel agency to book those routings.

It might be a challenge to find an itinerary but as you're flexible in terms of date, you would be able to find something that would fit your needs.
Thanks for your post.

I have been using ITA but not really getting anywhere.

-I'm struggling because It looks like I need 6 segments but google flights and Expedia will only allow 5 segments.
-Looks like the cheap prices for DUB to west coast have gone overnight, annoyingly.
-Nothing allows me to choose specific flights.

Any tips for the above would be greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Thanks for your post.

I have been using ITA but not really getting anywhere.

-I'm struggling because It looks like I need 6 segments but google flights and Expedia will only allow 5 segments.
-Looks like the cheap prices for DUB to west coast have gone overnight, annoyingly.
-Nothing allows me to choose specific flights.

Any tips for the above would be greatly appreciated.
That's one reason why it's sometimes best to jump when you see something. There isn't always time to optimise it, and I would expect lurkers here, at the very least, to be jumping on these fares.

ITA never works that well for me either. Some people get great results, I generally can't find anything, or I get a simpler routing.
Used to be better, but probably out of practice as I haven't utilised it quite the same since the Halcyon days of 16 sector LAX-SJU etc. runs for £250-£800 (i.e. something like LAX-LAS-PHX-PHL-CLT-RDU-MCO-MIA-SJU and back)
Old Feb 21, 2022, 3:25 pm

For those who don't seem to be able to make this work, try this. I had trouble trying to do a multi-city version of same which suggests that something I don't profess to understand e.g. married segments? may be in play. It's unusual to find that the straightforward search works a treat. Note book by 28Feb22 and Sat night stay are the only major restrictions.

Very straightforward and tons of availability as long as you are happy with SFO. I found that by substituting BOS for JFK in the example, either one or both ways, gave more time-friendly options in DUB. MIA worked last week, not now.

If you find something that works, go to e.g. bookwithmatrix.com which will then direct you to the US aa.com website where you can book, as long as you don't try logging in (if you're UK based), just enter your address when asked as e.g. Europe 99999
stephenjc likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Spongthrush
For those who don't seem to be able to make this work, try this. I had trouble trying to do a multi-city version of same which suggests that something I don't profess to understand e.g. married segments? may be in play. It's unusual to find that the straightforward search works a treat. Note book by 28Feb22 and Sat night stay are the only major restrictions.

Very straightforward and tons of availability as long as you are happy with SFO. I found that by substituting BOS for JFK in the example, either one or both ways, gave more time-friendly options in DUB. MIA worked last week, not now.

If you find something that works, go to e.g. bookwithmatrix.com which will then direct you to the US aa.com website where you can book, as long as you don't try logging in (if you're UK based), just enter your address when asked as e.g. Europe 99999
The issue about married segments on ITA Matrix is that both in version 4 and version 5 ( old and new matrix at this time ), the system fails to search double married segment availability thus would sometimes offer flights with ghost availability that has availability at an individual fare bucket but not married segment availability thus Bookwithmatrix.com -> AA.com might fail. Some people also call ghost availability phantom availability as well.

Also believe me or not, point of sale matters if booking through Bookwithmatrix.com -> AA.com. As you would be directed to the AA.com USA website, you would need to choose a sales city in the USA ( New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc... ) so that you are seeing availability for the United States point of sale rather than the Irish point of sale in this case. Different point of sales might have different availability so unless you are using an Irish TA or the Irish number for BA.com, don't forget to change that when looking for a solid itinerary.
snabbu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.