Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, A3*G
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Most likely the Priceline ticket would indeed be issued as a BA ticket, but it depends on the governing carrier of the ticket, which is determined by the Transatlantic sectors. However, it would be smarter to avoid using an OTA as your middleman, if possible. Some options would be to book directly by calling BA, with AA online, by calling AA or by using a reputable TA (any service charge would be as per their pricelist), which can ticket you as AA, BA, IB or AY, depending on your choice. It all depends on who you want to act as your agent and point of contact for any issues related to the itinerary, prior to travel commencing. There's no single correct answer, but if anything, I did just list all the more reliable options worth considering.
Thank you! I can book it on AA.com; I phoned BA but they could not re-create the itinerary at this price; and one of the TAs often mentioned on here charge a fee on the top (as per their pricelist as your suggest)....so in the absence of the 'book with confidence' it seems that aa.com (since it works) is the easiest; however if there is a schedule change / misconnect etc. and to avoid a more direct alternative (which I suspect AA would put me on), I should go with the reputable TA or would AA"s customer service be open to less direct routings? A dilemma!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
Most likely the Priceline ticket would indeed be issued as a BA ticket, but it depends on the governing carrier of the ticket, which is determined by the Transatlantic sectors. However, it would be smarter to avoid using an OTA as your middleman, if possible. Some options would be to book directly by calling BA, with AA online, by calling AA or by using a reputable TA (any service charge would be as per their pricelist), which can ticket you as AA, BA, IB or AY, depending on your choice. It all depends on who you want to act as your agent and point of contact for any issues related to the itinerary, prior to travel commencing. There's no single correct answer, but if anything, I did just list all the more reliable options worth considering.
As a reminder, AJB TATL tickets issued on Priceline would mostly be booked on the ticketing stock of the marketing carrier of the first transatlantic flight rather than the marketing carrier of the first flight.

If it's issued on AA stock, AA would be helping on reissuing the tickets for a $50 service fee on the phone, if issued on BA, IB, or AY stock, airline call centers would not budge touching the ticket and would ask you to contact your agency ( in this case Priceline ) for rebooking.
ozon78 and snabbu like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:48 am
formerly JackDann

I'm waiting for TP's to post to my account from a trip I completed a couple of weeks ago - I reckon it'll get me around 800TP's from my calculation, and it should leave me maybe 250 away from gold. My TP Year ends on 8th March - Will BA potentially allow any slight extension to this on the basis that my TP's have taken so long to post from my previous trip? I know previously they used to allow an extra week or so. I don't really want to start planning a trip to get me up to gold until I know exactly how many points I require!
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by JackDann
I'm waiting for TP's to post to my account from a trip I completed a couple of weeks ago - I reckon it'll get me around 800TP's from my calculation, and it should leave me maybe 250 away from gold. My TP Year ends on 8th March - Will BA potentially allow any slight extension to this on the basis that my TP's have taken so long to post from my previous trip? I know previously they used to allow an extra week or so. I don't really want to start planning a trip to get me up to gold until I know exactly how many points I require!
Are you waiting miles from the double TP promo for BA Holidays?
If not, you could always fill out the retro claim form on the BA website 3 days after departure for BA flights and 14 days after departure for partner flights.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:02 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Are you waiting miles from the double TP promo for BA Holidays?
If not, you could always fill out the retro claim form on the BA website 3 days after departure for BA flights and 14 days after departure for partner flights.
It was a holiday booking but don't think it was eligible for double TP's. Unfortunately the form on the BA Site doesn't work for me, didn't work for a recent trip from BHD>LBA either. I just get an error "Please check you have entered the correct ticket number."
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JackDann
It was a holiday booking but don't think it was eligible for double TP's. Unfortunately the form on the BA Site doesn't work for me, didn't work for a recent trip from BHD>LBA either. I just get an error "Please check you have entered the correct ticket number."
Maybe reach out to BA so that they could file a claim for you and investigate the situation. If your flights are a BA flight, it shouldn't take more than a week for the original flight segment to be credited.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:15 am
formerly JackDann

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Maybe reach out to BA so that they could file a claim for you and investigate the situation. If your flights are a BA flight, it shouldn't take more than a week for the original flight segment to be credited.
E-mailed them at the start of last week after PM'ing an account on here, but no acknowledgement yet - I think by the time they get credited i'll be near the year end and might be too late to bother with the hassle in all honesty.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozon78
Thank you! I can book it on AA.com; I phoned BA but they could not re-create the itinerary at this price; and one of the TAs often mentioned on here charge a fee on the top (as per their pricelist as your suggest)....so in the absence of the 'book with confidence' it seems that aa.com (since it works) is the easiest; however if there is a schedule change / misconnect etc. and to avoid a more direct alternative (which I suspect AA would put me on), I should go with the reputable TA or would AA"s customer service be open to less direct routings? A dilemma!
Also another reminder for your case would be that Book with Confidence also applies for TA bookings if the ticket is issued on 125- stock.
Although, AA seems to be more flexible during indirect routings as BA would likely ask you to have the same exact routing during schedule changes but you might need multiple HUACA's ( hang up and call again ) when trying to exchange a ticket after schedule changes.
ozon78 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hello everyone,

looking for a TP run before my year end on 8th September. I keep looking for suitabltle runs at some point in August. I have tried Tried DUB-SFO, AGP-LAX and SOF-LAX but struggling to find anything which has seats on transcon route. Would this be due to lack of availability?

Also, am I right U.K. thinking I’m getting close to 180 advance requirement?

any advice or alternatives would be really appreciated. I am Dublin based but willing to position anywhere in Europe.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Hello everyone,

looking for a TP run before my year end on 8th September. I keep looking for suitabltle runs at some point in August. I have tried Tried DUB-SFO, AGP-LAX and SOF-LAX but struggling to find anything which has seats on transcon route. Would this be due to lack of availability?

any advice or alternatives would be really appreciated. I am Dublin based but willing to position anywhere in Europe.
There are availability issues on JFK-LAX & JFK-SNA especially for the summer peak season, I would suggest you to try BOS-LAX, MIA-LAX or JFK-SFO instead which are all premium transcons. BOS-LAX is the newest transcontinental flight added thus most availability is on that specific transcontinental flight.

Btw, AGP-LAX has a MPM requirement and you would need to adhere on that really carefully as AGP-HEL-LHR-JFK-SFO-LAX wouldn't be permitted by the MPM. That fare has a 180 day APEX and a slightly higher fare associated to the same route for 120 day APEX.

ex-DUB doesn't have a far advance APEX and could be bookable for the near future but that wouldn't allow a HEL detour due to MPM, although, you could try DUB-LHR-MAD-BOS-LAX-SFO.
snabbu, MrPrice16 and Rim1 like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, GfL
Many thanks to those of you who advised me on my TP run to the West Coast, which is now booked. I have posted the itinerary below in case you are interested. Total came to £1,636 and I make it 1,000 TPs. There were cheaper options, but only with long layovers in at least one location. This is only my second TP run. My first was in 2015, when BA ended the 2 x consecutive years @ 3,000 TPs to get GGL and they gave anyone who was on track for 3,000 TPs in the second year (including me) a few months to get to the threshold. The only way I was able to do that was by an ex-DUB trip to HNL, using the LCY flight to JFK (which then gave 210 TPs) and flying via PHX (when those domestic flights also yielded First Class TPs). Those were the days! :-)

It was not easy to get BA to book this ticket, and the first agent I had wasn't interested in figuring out why her price was £400 higher than mine. The problem was with the LHR-JFK-LAX and LAX-JFK-LHR segments, which she said only had availability in R class. On my second attempt, I got someone much more helpful who figured out that those segments needed to be put in as a married sector, and then I class was available. I'm sure many of you are very familiar with this, but it was new to me so I'm sharing it in case it helps anyone else. As I understand it, it effectively means that those two flights (LHR-JFK and JFK-LAX) are linked together. I believe it means that I can't change one of those "married" flights without also changing the other.

Having read some more recent posts, my palms are slightly sweaty about the 44 minute connection in JFK on the way back, but I figure there are enough JFK-LHR flights for it not to be a problem.

Markie and dougzz like this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spock77
Many thanks to those of you who advised me on my TP run to the West Coast, which is now booked. I have posted the itinerary below in case you are interested. Total came to £1,636 and I make it 1,000 TPs. There were cheaper options, but only with long layovers in at least one location. This is only my second TP run. My first was in 2015, when BA ended the 2 x consecutive years @ 3,000 TPs to get GGL and they gave anyone who was on track for 3,000 TPs in the second year (including me) a few months to get to the threshold. The only way I was able to do that was by an ex-DUB trip to HNL, using the LCY flight to JFK (which then gave 210 TPs) and flying via PHX (when those domestic flights also yielded First Class TPs). Those were the days! :-)

It was not easy to get BA to book this ticket, and the first agent I had wasn't interested in figuring out why her price was £400 higher than mine. The problem was with the LHR-JFK-LAX and LAX-JFK-LHR segments, which she said only had availability in R class. On my second attempt, I got someone much more helpful who figured out that those segments needed to be put in as a married sector, and then I class was available. I'm sure many of you are very familiar with this, but it was new to me so I'm sharing it in case it helps anyone else. As I understand it, it effectively means that those two flights (LHR-JFK and JFK-LAX) are linked together. I believe it means that I can't change one of those "married" flights without also changing the other.

Having read some more recent posts, my palms are slightly sweaty about the 44 minute connection in JFK on the way back, but I figure there are enough JFK-LHR flights for it not to be a problem.

Thanks for sharing your experience,
AA still hasn't finalized their July 2022 schedule so there would be schedule changes in your itinerary which would allow you to change flights if there is any cancellation or schedule change over 4 hours is involved.
If there are no schedule changes, you could always go to the airport early at LAX and standby on an earlier LAX-JFK flight while enjoying the Flagship Lounge at Terminal 4.
Spock77 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Hello everyone,

Though not purely a TP run, I am struggling with a similar issue of finding availability in late August. I've posted on the BAH Double TP thread, but perhaps the routing aspect could be discussed here.

Originally Posted by -Heathcliff-
My outbound transcon (BA6730 PHL-SEA) on an eligible BAH booking in late August has just been cancelled. The inbound SEA-PHL-LHR remains intact as of now, as does the outbound LHR-PHL leg. Apparently BAH will be in contact with me to discuss my options, though it's probably best to be prepared.

I don't seem to be able to find any other BA-coded transcon routings around my dates at all. Ideally I'd like to keep an East Coast connection as part of my itinerary, though I'm not particularly wedded to PHL. Not too fussed about layover duration either.

What's my best course of action (Double) TP-wise? Final destination is SEA, and the booking includes a car but no hotel, if that matters (thinking of overnight options).
​​​​​
MMB won't let me make any changes, and BAH haven't been in touch yet, so I'm trying to find an alternative itinerary or two before giving them a ring, bearing in mind the 180 day advance purchase deadline. I'm just not sure whether I can work around the remaining LHR-PHL and SEA-PHL-LHR segments or if I'm going to have to find a whole new itinerary from scratch.

This is the closest I can get to my original itinerary, except for the cancelled same-day BA coded PHL-SEA segment:​

​​​Unfortunately the AA morning flight doesn't seem to work as a codeshare.

I suppose what I'm asking is - what is the most TP-efficient way to get from LON to SEA (or even PDX/YVR) and back around my dates (+/-5) in CW/business, either by working around what's left of my existing booking or else by positioning somewhere (EDI/DUB/AGP/SOF/IST?) for a more convoluted routing and ignoring the ex-UK requirement for the Double TP offer.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by -Heathcliff-
Though not purely a TP run, I am struggling with a similar issue of finding availability in late August. I've posted on the BAH Double TP thread, but perhaps the routing aspect could be discussed here.

I suppose what I'm asking is - what is the most TP-efficient way to get from LON to SEA (or even PDX/YVR) and back around my dates (+/-5) in CW/business, either by working around what's left of my existing booking or else by positioning somewhere (EDI/DUB/AGP/SOF/IST?) for a more convoluted routing and ignoring the ex-UK requirement for the Double TP offer.
DUB-PHL-SEA-CLT-LHR can be had for £1200 on Aug 30 - Sept 13 (560 TPs)

From London the best I can see is LHR-PDX-SEA-PDX-LHR for £1800 on August 23 - Sept 6 (for 720 TPs with BAH double points).
-Heathcliff- likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Spock77
Yes I ran into a very similar issue last night when trying to book this:

Also said she couldn't get the some (or all?) of the segments to book in I instead of R so it ended up being like £1700. Not sure how marrying segments would work here and if the AS flight messes things up. She even went away for quite a while trying to get it to price correctly but couldn't manage it. Wile I was waiting I just reworked the trip without the LAX stop on the return. ba.com still came out at €1700 but I managed it on aa.com for $1600. I don't get the 3x avios for AMEX via BA but whatever. As it happens, I'm only losing a net 20 TPs as I was able to get the last LHR-DUB sector in business. Only shame is I won't be able to visit Qantas F lounge at LAX (if it is even open by then). On the upside, I get a long lie on SUnday morning and seems like it will be much easier to buy cash upgrades on the Trascon...currently offered at $750 but I'll hope for a better offer as the trip gets closer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.