BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 5, 21, 11:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 1, 22, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
That is the current rule, valid until Jan 31. From Feb 1, you only need a vaccination or a PCR or a certificate of recovery.
which was exactly my point, someway up the thread: 1 Feb things change.
Old Feb 1, 22, 5:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Nephoi View Post
AA is way more restricted with their covid rebooking policies.
Note sure this can be ticketed with BA as it appears to be an AA fare structure? AA INX1C1S4
Old Feb 1, 22, 5:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHorizonUK View Post
How many TP is that please?
Anyone interested in putting together a TP run should know how to calculate the number of TPs earned from an itinerary - or, at the very least, know where to look to find the answer - and how to optimise an itinerary for maximum TPs. It's vital knowledge, it really isn't difficult, and it wouldn't take 20 minutes to learn the basics.

Start with the threads in the BA dashboard and if there's anything you don't understand feel free to ask specific questions here. We were all new to it once.
Old Feb 1, 22, 5:35 am

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by rosswill View Post
Note sure this can be ticketed with BA as it appears to be an AA fare structure? AA INX1C1S4
I am sure. I do have BA INX1C1S4 ticket. Must purchase either through BA or competent travel agent.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 6:51 am

The way to make complex booking from Matrix Airfare Search

Hi all, I'm new to the Matrix Airfare Search, sorry if my question has been answered before.

What is the best way to make complex booking from Matrix Airfare search? Do we must call the BA agent and inform them each flight details on the phone?
I know lots of people can't get through BA call centre these days, hours of waiting or cut off....

Many thanks.
Alan
Old Feb 1, 22, 6:55 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
Anyone interested in putting together a TP run should know how to calculate the number of TPs earned from an itinerary - or, at the very least, know where to look to find the answer - and how to optimise an itinerary for maximum TPs. It's vital knowledge, it really isn't difficult, and it wouldn't take 20 minutes to learn the basics.

Start with the threads in the BA dashboard and if there's anything you don't understand feel free to ask specific questions here. We were all new to it once.
or just plug your itinerary into a tool that can do it for you
StanStorby and SavvyTravel like this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AZJH View Post
Hi all, I'm new to the Matrix Airfare Search, sorry if my question has been answered before.

What is the best way to make complex booking from Matrix Airfare search? Do we must call the BA agent and inform them each flight details on the phone?
I know lots of people can't get through BA call centre these days, hours of waiting or cut off....

Many thanks.
Alan
If you would like to book it on AA stock, you could use Powertools or Bookwithmatrix.com to book directly on AA.com without calling anyone but as mentioned a few posts above AA is less flexible compared to BA when it comes to COVID flexibility.

If you would like to book a run on BA stock, you would need to call BA or use a travel agent to book the tickets.
Lefly and AZJH like this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
If you would like to book it on AA stock, you could use Powertools or Bookwithmatrix.com to book directly on AA.com without calling anyone but as mentioned a few posts above AA is less flexible compared to BA when it comes to COVID flexibility.

If you would like to book a run on BA stock, you would need to call BA or use a travel agent to book the tickets.
Thank you.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks View Post
I am sure. I do have BA INX1C1S4 ticket. Must purchase either through BA or competent travel agent.
You are correct. Just spoken to a TA and this is possible to have booked onto a BA issued 125 numbered ticket.
Old Feb 1, 22, 9:33 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post

Yes I've often toyed with the idea of booking online with AA to avoid the long wait time and the even longer call getting the poor agent to make insanely complex bookings. Seems just easier to do it on AA. Aside from Covid rebooking, which I guess (hope!) will be less of a thing, there are a few reasons that hold me back for now:

1.) I get triple Avios with BA amex on BA flights; don't think that would work if bought through AA.
2.) I'd get stung for a 3% FX fee for $ purchases.

Other reasons that might matter to some but don't really to me:

1.) Impossible to upgrade tickets on AA stock with Avios: don't really care as I usually buy cheap business fares for these messy complex TP runs and even on BA stock, I've never once found any F availability that worked. Even if you do everthing right, it's pretty hard to upgrade using on AA metal using Avios. Cash upgrades at airport are the way to go if you get a good offer.
2.) Someone said somewhere that you get fewer miles on AA, not sure of this is true and think it would be small enough not to matter; it's all about the TPs.

Is there anything else I'm missing one way or the other? Is it easier to rebook on AA stock if AA cancels or makes schedule changes, for example?
Nephoi and Radiation Station like this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post
Yes I've often toyed with the idea of booking online with AA to avoid the long wait time and the even longer call getting the poor agent to make insanely complex bookings. Seems just easier to do it on AA. Aside from Covid rebooking, which I guess (hope!) will be less of a thing, there are a few reasons that hold me back for now:

1.) I get triple Avios with BA amex on BA flights; don't think that would work if bought through AA.
2.) I'd get stung for a 3% FX fee for $ purchases.

Other reasons that might matter to some but don't really to me:

1.) Impossible to upgrade tickets on AA stock with Avios: don't really care as I usually buy cheap business fares for these messy complex TP runs and even on BA stock, I've never once found any F availability that worked. Even if you do everthing right, it's pretty hard to upgrade using on AA metal using Avios. Cash upgrades at airport are the way to go if you get a good offer.
2.) Someone said somewhere that you get fewer miles on AA, not sure of this is true and think it would be small enough not to matter; it's all about the TPs.

Is there anything else I'm missing one way or the other? Is it easier to rebook on AA stock if AA cancels or makes schedule changes, for example?
I have found with past bookings that using a TA can be advantageous where sometimes the point of sale, say New York, opens up additional I inventory on some busy routes such as the transcon services that are not available with UK-sold tickets.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
The Avios difference between AA and BA can be quite a bit from time to time.
If I'm pulling in say 800TP+, and my balance is looking good, a few 1000 Avios here and there isnt the main concern.

I quite often find it easier to book a nice Itinerary with AA diectly rather than having to ring up BA.

If I'm flying in business on the transcon, have club suites ex-LHR etc., Im not too fussed about losing the ability to possibly upgrade to F. Itineraries such as this are just for the tier points in my opinion, and having flat beds anyway works for me.

Did 4 AA domestics yesterday for a day out. The first 3 have posted successfully this morning (the 4th would have been taken on the 1stvFeb, UK time, so that should post tomorrow).
Radiation Station likes this.

Last edited by xenole; Feb 1, 22 at 11:12 am
Old Feb 1, 22, 10:54 am

Programs: OWE,*A G, Bonvoy LT TE, HHonors Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by AZJH View Post
Many thanks.
Alan
I do have a personal travel agent and chose to purchase BA stock ticket through her. Therefore I would avoid in the future any contact with BA to deal with them when schedule change occured or may needed from my side. No hold in BA call line just a message to travel agent and she takes care of everything.
Old Feb 1, 22, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Yep, agree with BA covid flexibility - but I much prefer the AA flexibility during IRROPS - all sorts of possibilities open up. My recent experience was to be put on a short hop on Delta and then transcon with Delta - arriving about 4hrs before AA could get me there. (plus TPs and avios eventually came through too) Swings, Roundabouts - as they say.
Old Feb 1, 22, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*G, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Jaenks View Post
I do have a personal travel agent and chose to purchase BA stock ticket through her. Therefore I would avoid in the future any contact with BA to deal with them when schedule change occured or may needed from my side. No hold in BA call line just a message to travel agent and she takes care of everything.
I generally agree with you, having a proper travel agent take care of it is very helpful.
Sometimes there is a benefit of doing everything through BA.
In my experience BA can be quite chill when it comes to changing tickets outside of the official rules.
Travel agencies usually stick to the rules quite strictly since they are on the hook when violating them.
All in all a good travel agent usually is the way to go though

Search this Thread