Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by Komodromou
Can anyone help me find a run EX NY to ORD please? Best I can come up with in feb is EWR-CLT-ORD RT. £325 I'm sure I can add in another leg giving me that golden 240 tier points any help that would be great

This is what itamatrix is great for www.matrix.itasoftware.com

Start NYC
End ORD
Routing AA AA AA
Business Class

Then use the calendar view

There's a £490 return there for 240 tier points so you are more in the premium fares area, than tier point running
Nephoi likes this.

Last edited by E14 26C; Jan 22, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
Tempted by this for sure

But can I check with the users of JFK whether a 1 15min connection is feasible at JFK, T8? It’s immigration I’m thinking of on a U.K. passport with no GE. And also is it doable only with HBO?
No, the airline will re-ticket it as MCT is 2hrs. So keep that in mind. Doesn't necessarily stop you booking it, though, but I've had a 1h59m automatically rebooked before (annoying as it took a mere 35mins).
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
Thank you for sharing. Just booked it as well. ))). For £1,069.60
Damn, it's over 2K now
Old Jan 22, 2022, 1:49 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Komodromou
Can anyone help me find a run EX NY to ORD please? Best I can come up with in feb is EWR-CLT-ORD RT. £325 I'm sure I can add in another leg giving me that golden 240 tier points any help that would be great
Originally Posted by E14 26C
This is what itamatrix is great for www.matrix.itasoftware.com
Start NYC
End ORD
Routing AA AA AA
Business Class
Then use the calendar view
There's a £490 return there for 240 tier points so you are more in the premium fares area, than tier point running
Actually the correct is https://matrix.itasoftware.com/ or maybe the new version suits better https://newmatrix.itasoftware.com/search
It does not open when www is written.
E14 26C likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
1. Yes, Sharklets denotes the three class Airbus A321T at American Airlines. I also believe all flights JFK-LAX on AA use that aircraft pretty much exclusively, so you're good to go there.

2. Yes, should be plenty of time to connect.

I'll leave the remaining answers to others, but the B2B thread will have the info on your MAD B2B question
I did MAD B2B today. Really easy. Get off the plane. Follow the signs for Flight Connections, go through a security check and your straight back at the departure gates. It can be a long walk though if you park up at the far end of T4S. It’s a huge terminal building.
Pilot37 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 6:06 pm

Hey guys. Just some advice if possible.

I booked the CMN to Miami via MAD and LHR - all looks ok schedule wise on the outbound. This is for mid may.

on the return my connection MIA JFK LHR at jfk is 50 mins, still showing as booked. Is there any advice what to do here. I added JFK for max tier points on the way back.

thanks in advance.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 1:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Egbg100

I booked the CMN to Miami via MAD and LHR - all looks ok schedule wise on the outbound. This is for mid may.

on the return my connection MIA JFK LHR at jfk is 50 mins, still showing as booked. Is there any advice what to do here. I added JFK for max tier points on the way back.

thanks in advance.
That is a tight connection, it is just about doable with an on time arrival, but it won’t be much fun and you may still misconnect if there is a delay in the sky train, long security etc.

Personally I would see if there is a later flight that I can’t connect onto and ask for it to be changed assuming that this connection is due to a shift in time of one of your flights- this would be free to change.

if it’s not due to a shift in flight times and you booked with this connection, provided it is on one ticket you are protected- but be armed with alternative connections- if you’ll be late departing, you can ask AA at MIA to either put you on a direct flight or to connect to an AA flight which will be easier as you don’t need to repass security.

Good luck.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:19 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
As above but presumably depends on which airline the JFK - LHR leg is with.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR

thanks in advance.
if on BA, I wouldnt try it - not enough time for me. I always try at least 90 mins. That is going to be very tight, especially if BA need to do a passport check.

If AA, easy really but could be a 10 min walk if the gates on other side.

As an aside the MCT is 1 hr 15 min JFK LHR if connecting to BA from AA.
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
It's probably an AA-AA connection based on the connection time, in addition AA has not yet updated their US domestic schedule for flights after 5 April 2022 so the OP would have at least one round of schedule change coming up for the MIA-JFK flight.
gcuk likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
It's probably an AA-AA connection based on the connection time, in addition AA has not yet updated their US domestic schedule for flights after 5 April 2022 so the OP would have at least one round of schedule change coming up for the MIA-JFK flight.
correct it’s AA/AA. When do they usually update. Thanks everyone else so far.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
correct it’s AA/AA. When do they usually update. Thanks everyone else so far.
Sunday 0000 DFW time. that's 6am in the morning in the UK on a Sunday. the schedules are usually updates for a month 6 to 8 weeks before. but even after that there are frequent changes on Sundays. like route improvements, route cancellations et cetera.
Flying Yazata and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Figured this is borderline an OK place for this query, and ought to feature most of the experts on the topic...

I booked a Paris to Hawaii flight in the flash sale last summer, and AA have finally made changes to flights/timings significant enough that I think I can ask for a new routing. Can't do that online, so will need to ring, and want to get my ducks in a row first.

The previous routing was CDG-LHR-LAX-HNL and return, as adding anything on the US east coast massively bumped the price when booking. Going out, retimings mean we now miss the connection in LA.

Can I try asking AA to rebook me as CDG-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL? If not, might they go for CDG-JFK-LAX-HNL? (The other half will likely kill me if I suggest routing via Helsinki too...)

Would like to try to get an extra 140 tier points each way if possible! I assume I should have all the flight numbers and timings for my preferred routing ready when I ring, anything else?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Figured this is borderline an OK place for this query, and ought to feature most of the experts on the topic...

I booked a Paris to Hawaii flight in the flash sale last summer, and AA have finally made changes to flights/timings significant enough that I think I can ask for a new routing. Can't do that online, so will need to ring, and want to get my ducks in a row first.

The previous routing was CDG-LHR-LAX-HNL and return, as adding anything on the US east coast massively bumped the price when booking. Going out, retimings mean we now miss the connection in LA.

Can I try asking AA to rebook me as CDG-LHR-JFK-LAX-HNL? If not, might they go for CDG-JFK-LAX-HNL? (The other half will likely kill me if I suggest routing via Helsinki too...)

Would like to try to get an extra 140 tier points each way if possible! I assume I should have all the flight numbers and timings for my preferred routing ready when I ring, anything else?
Which airline did issue the ticket? That would matter in this case.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Which airline did issue the ticket? That would matter in this case.
Ticket bought from AA, 001- ticket number

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.