BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 5, 21, 11:19 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 17, 22, 2:39 pm

Programs: BAEC
So I've just booked this mess SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO-LAX-LHR-SOF. Quite proud of my first point run. Managed to tick almost all the boxes I was looking for. Got AA business on the way to JFK. Got 2 nice long layovers in LAX to test the lounges. And was even able to get booked on AA1 JFK-LAX; weirdly I can't replicate this on Matrix now and I forgot to screenshot the output. Also got the late LAX-LHR flight to maximise sleep. I had to create the itinerary as a multi-city in Matrix. Below is what I input as well as the closest approximation I could get now. Might even try to upgrade one or both of the JFK-LAX and LAX-LHR legs. Only minor gripe is I couldn't get it to work a couple of weeks earlier to catch White Sox v As, so had to settle for Mets v As. I think the very helpful guy I got on the phone was new: once we reached the end he was pretty tight lipped about what price turned up and put me on hold to check with the fare team. I think he was surprised by £1024!! And it actually came out £10 cheaper than the quote in Matrix. With £500 and change in pandemic cancellation vouchers, it only cost me another £500.

One other thing: I ended up with 5 days in SFO. Only hit me at the end of the call after 1hr on hold and going through flights one by one. But I could qualify for double TPs if I book a hotel. Usually adding the hotel seems to be a good price. But he told me that it is not possible with more than 6 flight segments. Has anyone had experience with this? Is there a way around it?

Edit with actual itinerary.
EDIT: Sorry for confusion. I never got the screenshot in Matrix of the itinerary I booked and can't recreate it. Here is the actual itinerary. No insane layovers, unless you count 2x5hrs in LAX to luxuriate in various lounges.
RB211 likes this.

Last edited by RichieMc; Jan 18, 22 at 7:35 am
Old Jan 17, 22, 2:46 pm
ec1

Is it not time for a 2022 thread yet?
Old Jan 17, 22, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
Originally Posted by RichieMc View Post

One other thing: I ended up with 5 days in SFO. Only hit me at the end of the call after 1hr on hold and going through flights one by one. But I could qualify for double TPs if I book a hotel. Usually adding the hotel seems to be a good price. But he told me that it is not possible with more than 6 flight segments. Has anyone had experience with this? Is there a way around it?

Double TP's are for holidays booked from London /exUK only.

Last edited by E14 26C; Jan 17, 22 at 4:02 pm
Old Jan 17, 22, 4:00 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by E14 26C View Post
Double TP's are for holidays booked from London only.
I believe itís technically exUK, my friend. Although, for some people, London is the UK
IAN-UK, E14 26C, skiaplg and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 22, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ec1 View Post
Is it not time for a 2022 thread yet?
Yes.

rb211.
Old Jan 18, 22, 2:13 am

I love seeing what people come up with here and Iím really keen to do one to hit gold whilst the threshold is low. But Iím based in Jordan, is there any known option or thread with QR for example heading east?
Old Jan 18, 22, 4:23 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Might even try to upgrade one or both of the JFK-LAX and LAX-LHR legs.
Looks like a great and fun trip!

Don't think you'll be able to upgrade those flights (certainly with Avios - if you mean cash, there might be options though doubt at reasonable cost) given the AA and AY codes and non-BA metal.
Old Jan 18, 22, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, LH, QR, SV, TK

But I could qualify for double TPs if I book a hotel?

You certainly can't do that, but for an extra 60 quid or so (and considerable measure of discomfort) you could add Phoenix and Helsinki to the return for an extra 120TP.
(SFO PHX JFK HEL LHR SOF)

In calculating the travel costs, It's sensible to include overnight accommodation in New York on your way out, and London on the way back.
Old Jan 18, 22, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by chris1979 View Post
Looks like a great and fun trip!

Don't think you'll be able to upgrade those flights (certainly with Avios - if you mean cash, there might be options though doubt at reasonable cost) given the AA and AY codes and non-BA metal.
I actually forgot to screenshot the Matrix output for the itinerary I booked and can't replicate it any more. What I posted was the closest I can currently get. As it happens both the AA flights have BA codes. Can't see upgrade options on website or app for any flights and it tells me I need to call. As far as I can tell, there are mileage seats on both flights in F, and currently all seats are free on both as well. I'll try my luck tonight.
Old Jan 18, 22, 6:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)
I actually forgot to screenshot the Matrix output for the itinerary I booked and can't replicate it any more. What I posted was the closest I can currently get. As it happens both the AA flights have BA codes. Can't see upgrade options on website or app for any flights and it tells me I need to call. As far as I can tell, there are mileage seats on both flights in F, and currently all seats are free on both as well. I'll try my luck tonight.
Good luck with calling, however to level set I think you need the Transcons to be booked into the AA code not the BA codeshare and also into J,C,D fare buckets before you can UUA
RichieMc likes this.
Old Jan 18, 22, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
So I've just booked this mess SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO-LAX-LHR-SOF. Quite proud of my first point run. Managed to tick almost all the boxes I was looking for. Got AA business on the way to JFK. Got 2 nice long layovers in LAX to test the lounges. And was even able to get booked on AA1 JFK-LAX; weirdly I can't replicate this on Matrix now and I forgot to screenshot the output. Also got the late LAX-LHR flight to maximise sleep. I had to create the itinerary as a multi-city in Matrix. Below is what I input as well as the closest approximation I could get now. Might even try to upgrade one or both of the JFK-LAX and LAX-LHR legs. Only minor gripe is I couldn't get it to work a couple of weeks earlier to catch White Sox v As, so had to settle for Mets v As. I think the very helpful guy I got on the phone was new: once we reached the end he was pretty tight lipped about what price turned up and put me on hold to check with the fare team. I think he was surprised by £1024!! And it actually came out £10 cheaper than the quote in Matrix. With £500 and change in pandemic cancellation vouchers, it only cost me another £500.

36 min connection at SFO on outbound on the 21st! You are very brave!
Old Jan 18, 22, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by m8_rotate View Post
The other thing is the flight from SOF to LHR is on British Airways (lands Terminal 5) and the LHR to JFK is operated by American. At the moment American are operating LHR/JFK flights from T5 - but this could be a tight connection if American move the route back to T3 before September? I've only ever made the connection non-airside between T5 and T3 - but it took forever!
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Jan 18, 22, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
If the flight arrives on time, or early, it should be too hard to get to the gate. Might depend on if you're being bussed, or if you have a decent walk along the passageways.
Most of my LAX-SFO flights have required a bus over to the Eagle's Nest, but I've had a couple of remote ones and T5 as well. Have had one from the TBIT (that was LAS though).

Last edited by xenole; Jan 18, 22 at 6:59 am
Old Jan 18, 22, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis

The 36 min layover is at LAX. not SFO on the outbound

Regards

TBS
m8_rotate likes this.
Old Jan 18, 22, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
The 36 min layover is at LAX. not SFO on the outbound

Regards

TBS
I stand corrected, an oversight, but still brave.

Search this Thread