Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 5:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by dougzz
I looked on the BA site directly for this, and sort of agree with navylad - the problem is the LAX-JFK leg on the return. BA are showing 11 flights that day, all with only economy available, that seems really odd, and AA have business available on their site. I’d try again across the next couple of days, seems like a BA glitch.
I emailed BA about this earlier in the week them completely forgot about it. Complete shocker at 6pm last night to get a call from the GGL team saying they were calling to help me book the flights and had a back office workaround i.e. booking into Y and the upgrading to J. Tremendous service from BA and that is another reason why renewing GGL makes going the long way to California a worthwhile thing to do.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by xenole
I've been trying a SOF-SFO as a holiday, but keep getting told there are no flights.

Also been trying to doing something like SOF-LHR-JFK-(SFO or LAX)-(LAX-SFO), buy only getting JFK-LAX or JFK-SFO direct.

Little over £1k for 720TP, but would be nice to add a bit more without too much chance of issues.
Could blow 152600k Avios to save around €898 (£750), so around £275 to pay.
About 75k for those flights and two more this month, so a net loss of around 77k Avios to save £750.

​​
Yeah. Was looking at similar. Came up with this which is actually only 620 TPs. Can't manage to add another leg either in Europe or US and I've tried everything I can think of. Deosn^t matter if I try LAX or SFO as final destination. Still can't add a leg. In the end it doesn't matter too much for me as I have another trip I have to take in November that I've squeezed out 700 odd TP from, so with other normal flying that gets me to Gold and there's no point to me trying to get another 40 points here and there as I'm never going to get the 2500 needed for a voucher never mind the 5000 for GGL. Still, weird that we can't seem to get another leg in there...

Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It's so long since I've looked at this thread so sorry if this has already been answered. I'm sure there used to be a list in the wiki of cheapish US domestic TP runs, am I looking in the wrong place (is it somewhere else) or has the list stop being maintained due to fewer people travelling due to covid?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by RichieMc
Yeah. Was looking at similar. Came up with this which is actually only 620 TPs. Can't manage to add another leg either in Europe or US and I've tried everything I can think of. Deosn^t matter if I try LAX or SFO as final destination. Still can't add a leg. In the end it doesn't matter too much for me as I have another trip I have to take in November that I've squeezed out 700 odd TP from, so with other normal flying that gets me to Gold and there's no point to me trying to get another 40 points here and there as I'm never going to get the 2500 needed for a voucher never mind the 5000 for GGL. Still, weird that we can't seem to get another leg in there...
I've found SFO to have slightly more I class availability on the transcon for business than LAX.

At the end of the day, something simpler and less prone to potential issues might work better for some.
A few of these runs probably cost a lot more once you factor in overnight stays, positioning etc.

My last run through JFK had me arriving at 10-11pm and then heading back to JFK at 4:30am-5am. When it's something like £167 for the 5-6hr stay, it's not great value (suppose blowing 30k or so points, or just sleeping at the airport might be better. Have done both!).

Last flight I had from JFK-SFO was at 11am and AA changed that to 7am so it messed up my long lie in.

I sometimes find it simpler to just add a day trip say within the US or wherever. If you get get something like SFO-LAX-PHX return for £250-£300 or so, an easy 160TP is achievable.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:25 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

You got a good fare for those dates - I could not get close using the same dates in Matrix - the nearest which gave the same was 26th Sep
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:43 am

Yeah. Pretty happy with it. Will have a few bucks left over for Giants tickets! I would kind of have preferred to get the JFK to LAX at 7am (coolness factor of flight AA1 and maybe some celebrity spotting) and then another 40 TP for LAX to SFO but just can't get it to work; not sure why and I don't think I'm bumping up against any mileage limits (if anyone has any ideas let me know). And could have done SFO-JFK on the return and squeezed out an extra 100 TP, but I can't be bothered with the short night flight and like the long layover at LAX to check out the Qantas and Flagship lounges.
RB211 and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
You got a good fare for those dates - I could not get close using the same dates in Matrix - the nearest which gave the same was 26th Sep

I just went through the BA website and looked at flights, in August, from say SOF-SFO, that had 2 connections, and had outbound prices of say 641 euros (compared to others that were over 2000 euros). Then looked at what the connections were, and discounted anything other than JFK ie. DFW, PHL, ORD.
Keeps things simple and saves trying to ring BA to book, and hoping you get an agent who knows what they're doing.
Haagen Daz likes this.

Last edited by xenole; Jan 17, 2022 at 8:03 am
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
I would kind of have preferred to get the JFK to LAX at 7am (coolness factor of flight AA1 and maybe some celebrity spotting) and then another 40 TP for LAX to SFO but just can't get it to work; not sure why and I don't think I'm bumping up against any mileage limits (if anyone has any ideas let me know).
Not sure if this is why, but I was originally on the BA codeshare that is AA1 for a flight in a week or so time. A couple of months ago I got a schedule change and I was moved to the AA171 at 6am instead. I was baffled, because AA1 is operating according to AA. However, I've since checked by booking a dummy one way for my flights and there is no BA codeshare on AA1 for my dates. Every other flight is available except AA1. I was like you, looking forward to taking flight 1, but it was not to be. Not sure why the codeshare has been removed, but that might be why you can't do it, just a random data point.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Not sure if this is why, but I was originally on the BA codeshare that is AA1 for a flight in a week or so time. A couple of months ago I got a schedule change and I was moved to the AA171 at 6am instead. I was baffled, because AA1 is operating according to AA. However, I've since checked by booking a dummy one way for my flights and there is no BA codeshare on AA1 for my dates. Every other flight is available except AA1. I was like you, looking forward to taking flight 1, but it was not to be. Not sure why the codeshare has been removed, but that might be why you can't do it, just a random data point.
Solid detective work! That makes sense. I was actually able to find itineraries with JFK-LAX on AA1 (not sure if they would actually be bookable on BA), but was never able to go JFK-SFO via LAX (or indeed JFK-SFO via LAX) on any flight whatsoever.

Anyway, the more I think about it, celebs will still be in bed at 7am but maybe that makes it easier to get an upgrade
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:16 am

Is it me or is the TP runs very dry at the moment

We don't see anymore the sub £1000 deals
Even the sof-sfo is very limited in dates and I class etc.
We need some solid deals like the pre covid days
Gone are the days ? I sincerely hope not.....
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by Palty
Is it me or is the TP runs very dry at the moment

We don't see anymore the sub £1000 deals
Even the sof-sfo is very limited in dates and I class etc.
We need some solid deals like the pre covid days
Gone are the days ? I sincerely hope not.....
sub £1k were rare ish even then. the MAD - LAX is well and healthy and has been around for a while and at £1.1k ish for Westcoast is pretty good. works a treat O/W with DUB as well.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:08 am

Programs: ba
TP run March 22

hi guys, FYI I bought the following for £1560 (680 TPS I think). I needed to go to Vegas for the weekend of 11 march so thought I would make it into a tier point run and have a day in NYC. Do you think this is a good deal?

ARN - HEL - JFK / LGA - DCA - LAS - JFK - LHR - VCE
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:42 am

Apologies, I caused offence with this post and that wasn’t my intention so have removed it.

Last edited by Confus; Jan 17, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Been looking for sth like that but cannot get anything ex-NYC.

Last edited by Chiller3333; Jan 17, 2022 at 12:01 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Confus
For anyone in (or heading to) the US, I’m finding some great DIFs loaded for March for a few AA transcon itineraries. I’m about to book 2 x 220 TP itineraries for £240 each with no need to suffer FAI at -30.

Won’t name the routes as I might want to buy a couple more and don’t want them to disappear with hordes piling in, but it’s pretty obvious if you think of west and east coast cities where they have to be particularly competitive and join them with one of the oft-forgotten transcon (note not Transcon!) trunks. Hopefully some of those who’ve helped me here over the years can benefit in return
I don't really think that "I know a good TP run but I'm not telling you" is in the spirit of this very helpful and generous thread. If you don't want to share then just say nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.