Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by omk298
I'm fairly sure you won't be able to check your bag back to the airport you're departing from, and BA won't check through on separate tickets.

I think you're staying in London between SOF and ORD you can just check in your bag when you go for the LHR-ORD flight.
SOF used to be possible for returning on the same plane, but I don't know if Covid has stopped that being possible - I'll be trying to find that out in June.

​​
Thats really helpful. Thanks! Actually on the outbound to US I had the overnight in Chicago as it had me taking an afternoon flight from LHR. But I think I should be able to force the overnight in London. That probably opens up more opportunities as I’ll be able to get on morning flights. Thanks again.

I think I’ll just go ahead and book it and assume I’ll be able to get to SOF and back in the same day. Covid’ll be over by then anyway, right??? 😬
Old Jan 12, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by RB211
The core AA Transcon routes are JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, where you're all but guaranteed to get the A321T three class plane. (IROPS with the unavailability of a backup would be the only reason not to - all flights are scheduled as Transcons with the A321T.)

From time to time other official Transcons on A321T planes are marketed, like JFK-SNA, LAX-BOS and MIA-LAX. But these will have non-Transcon two class planes doing some (the majority?) of the flights.

In addition, other non-Transcon service widebody (777) flights are scheduled, MIA-LAX being one of those, which may have three class service, although the lines can be blurred here, with the word Transcon sometimes being used.

Hopefully that muddies the waters sufficiently!

rb211.
Thanks. Got it but I can't seem to book the route I want (LHR-JFK-SFO/LAX-JFK-LHR) on BA flight numbers even though they show on ITA matrix. Not available online or by phone. What am I missing?
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Newly Wed
Thanks. Got it but I can't seem to book the route I want (LHR-JFK-SFO/LAX-JFK-LHR) on BA flight numbers even though they show on ITA matrix. Not available online or by phone. What am I missing?
I wish I knew. Certainly seems a bit strange and a divergence from is shown in ITA matrix and available from BA. If I get a chance I'll have a little dig into this in the next day or so - but no promises!

rb211.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Thats really helpful. Thanks! Actually on the outbound to US I had the overnight in Chicago as it had me taking an afternoon flight from LHR. But I think I should be able to force the overnight in London. That probably opens up more opportunities as I’ll be able to get on morning flights. Thanks again.

I think I’ll just go ahead and book it and assume I’ll be able to get to SOF and back in the same day. Covid’ll be over by then anyway, right??? 😬
SOF B2B isn’t currently possible due to the need to go through health form checks.
Prior to covid they’d also changed the way flights from the U.K. are processed, so they were taking everyone through passport control before you could reboard. From what I gather SOF doesn’t really do connections as they are used to being an end-point rather than a hub
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by jonam
SOF B2B isn’t currently possible due to the need to go through health form checks.
Prior to covid they’d also changed the way flights from the U.K. are processed, so they were taking everyone through passport control before you could reboard. From what I gather SOF doesn’t really do connections as they are used to being an end-point rather than a hub
This doesn’t correlate with a recent report in the B2B thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33800166-post752.html
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by jonam
I did a B2B at Sofia recently. Decanted straight into departures. Had all the time in the world, especially with the 1.10 hour turnaround there.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by Bluekjp
I did a B2B at Sofia recently. Decanted straight into departures. Had all the time in the world, especially with the 1.10 hour turnaround there.
How recently Bluekjp?
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:00 am

The last week in November.
A couple of months before this others were saying that arrivals were separated.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:18 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by AlphaXray
How recently Bluekjp?
I did the same - and this was November and mid December. We could have got straight back on the flight - no problem. However from memory, CWS warned that we could go onto a stand and be bussed in and that would be that. However, we went through the E gates on our EU passports and went past health control and all she wanted to see were our negative tests. It was so easy in practice. I would never count on being able to B2B as I am a believer that too much could go wrong. A long queue for instance could put pay to one's plans
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I did the same - and this was November and mid December. We could have got straight back on the flight - no problem. However from memory, CWS warned that we could go onto a stand and be bussed in and that would be that. However, we went through the E gates on our EU passports and went past health control and all she wanted to see were our negative tests. It was so easy in practice. I would never count on being able to B2B as I am a believer that too much could go wrong. A long queue for instance could put pay to one's plans
With there being only the one BA flight to Sofia and with needing to be at work the next morning I put a £4.76 FR and a £12 EZY boarding pass in my pocket as a backup. Was all unnecessary and overkill in the event though.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie
Care to share?
Just booked LHR-MAD-SVQ for £230 return in February netting 120TP (still don't understand why IB domestic is 20 TP in business)

Even better the LHR-MAD leg is being operated by an A330 so long haul business class seat.
Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 1:07 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Bluekjp
With there being only the one BA flight to Sofia and with needing to be at work the next morning I put a £4.76 FR and a £12 EZY boarding pass in my pocket as a backup. Was all unnecessary and overkill in the event though.
I would say that was most sensible - for practically nothing you had a Plan B and C - just in case. Most prudent IMHO
NickB, EDIwanderer and m8_rotate like this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
The core AA Transcon routes are JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO, where you're all but guaranteed to get the A321T three class plane. (IROPS with the unavailability of a backup would be the only reason not to - all flights are scheduled as Transcons with the A321T.)

From time to time other official Transcons on A321T planes are marketed, like JFK-SNA, LAX-BOS and MIA-LAX. But these will have non-Transcon two class planes doing some (the majority?) of the flights.

In addition, other non-Transcon service widebody (777) flights are scheduled, MIA-LAX being one of those, which may have three class service, although the lines can be blurred here, with the word Transcon sometimes being used.
Let's just cut the chase and put the record straight.

American Airlines (hereafter AA) operates Flagship First/Business with a three class service regularly on the following routes: JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, BOS-LAX, MIA-LAX and JFK-SNA. BOS-LAX is the latest addition and it has been resumed. Four of the routes are exclusively three class Flagship services at the time of writing (and so it's slated to be until the GDS EOS), while MIA-LAX is a mixture, which was already the case prepandemic, since MIA doesn't have an Airbus A321 fleet for the route and the Flagship Transcontinental flights are thus operated with the Boeing 777-300ER fleet. Especially drop out that obscure "from time to time", which is incorrect/misleading. There's a clear service availability that's communicated by AA openly.

Anyway, AA has the service classes pretty well presented on their website, if one wants to check them out (AA: Flagship First - Flagship Business).
Old Jan 13, 2022, 4:00 pm

I wish I knew. Certainly seems a bit strange and a divergence from is shown in ITA matrix and available from BA. If I get a chance I'll have a little dig into this in the next day or so - but no promises!

rb211.
Many thanks.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 1:36 am

Not sure if its of interest, but I noticed you could go Business with Finnair from St Petersburg to Lisbon return for just under £600. That's 360 Tier points - not the best, but not bad within Europe. Could also do it from Oulu if Visa is an issue but that an extra £60. Finnair positioning flights in business would be another £600 - but then that's also an extra 240 TP's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.