Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by DocS
Thanks to this and the Premium Fare deals thread have booked a trip to California from Spain via HEL - trying to choose seats initially impossible on some of the flights whether I try BA, AA or AY. Also not all flights appeared on AA. Is it a case of give it 24 hrs or so to allow the systems to update or is it possible I won't be able to select some seats despite being Gold? Been a while since a trip like this so am a bit rusty. Thanks in advance!
If you booked online you probably can see only one PNR (Passenger Name Record), if booked with BA, it will be a BA PNR. However, if you are actually flying on AA, AY or, even IB metal as part of your trip, each one of those sectors should have a linked PNR for each airline. Most of the time when I have logged into BA MMB, and choose to select seats on a sector flown by AA, AY or, IB, the linked PNR is shown. But sometimes it is not shown. In these cases, I have rung up BA and acquired the linked PNR for AA IB or even AY. I then have had to either log into the corresponding airline's web page or app and manually enter the PNR and last name. 9 times out of ten this solves the problem. One other point, even after doing this not all your seats may show in BA, so you have to go back and forth. There may be other explanations, but this is what has happened to me, kindest regards.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:44 pm

Avios from MAN-LHR and return (as part of MAN-LHR-AMM) with RJ have finally posted (flown November). A small number of avios (RJ earning for avios is always poor), but ZERO tier points.
I believe that, aside from some Qatar discount fares, industry discount and award flights, all Oneworld Operated flights earn tier points. This was RJ ticketed, BA Operated flight.

BA Avios calculator showing that the flights indeed do earn zero TPs, this was changed with the big IT reset, as when I purchased the tickets it was 40TPs each way.
How do I go about telling BA that there is a mistake in their system?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 1:57 pm

So, I have been looking for one of the AGP->SFO and return fare posted quite some time ago, and had found some dates that suited me, as well showed up on Matrix - so I called up a very nice and patient agent to try to book it, however I was informed there was no I availability, only R. I am just curious if either she was mistaken, or if Matrix does not update the fare group availability all that often?
The fare I am looking at (which is the same one I gave her on the phone) still shows up on Matrix.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Shamankian
So, I have been looking for one of the AGP->SFO and return fare posted quite some time ago, and had found some dates that suited me, as well showed up on Matrix - so I called up a very nice and patient agent to try to book it, however I was informed there was no I availability, only R. I am just curious if either she was mistaken, or if Matrix does not update the fare group availability all that often?
The fare I am looking at (which is the same one I gave her on the phone) still shows up on Matrix.

Thanks in advance!
Matrix has been lagging lately. Until this week it wasn’t showing updated schedules and equipment changes from 3 -4 weeks ago on ba.com
Those do seem to have caught up now but not sure about how quickly matrix updates fare class movements.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:16 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Originally Posted by DocS
Thanks to this and the Premium Fare deals thread have booked a trip to California from Spain via HEL - trying to choose seats initially impossible on some of the flights whether I try BA, AA or AY. Also not all flights appeared on AA. Is it a case of give it 24 hrs or so to allow the systems to update or is it possible I won't be able to select some seats despite being Gold? Been a while since a trip like this so am a bit rusty. Thanks in advance!
If you booked with BA, all sectors should appear in BA MMB. If you try to select seats on one of the AA sectors, it will confirm that you want to transfer away from the BA site - and on the same page you should see the AA record locator.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by GBOAC
How do I go about telling BA that there is a mistake in their system?
I would state the issue and my grievance in writing to BAEC via the online feedback/complain form, so that's properly on file and all details are correctly presented. Then just wait and see, as well as follow-up with them as needed.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Evening all,

I need to gain 800 tier points by July to keep gold.

I am pretty much flexible on dates and where I go (Restrictions permitting of course). Ideally would like to do it over a long weekend and leave it as late as possible for hopefully more destinations to open up but not essential if a good deal comes up sooner. I have lots of e-vouchers to use so prefer something that can be booked via BA.

I have been playing around with google flights (not that well versed in Matrix sadly) and have found the following:

MAD to CPH to LHR to BOS to DFW to SFO to LAX to BOS to MAD in June (Thursday departure) for £1400. This looks like around 620 TP in club and is bookable via BA.
Anyone have any suggestions for a better/ more cost effective routing or anyways to maybe cram in the extra 180 TP's for a similar price?

Appreciate any tips or suggestions :-)

Best wishes
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:52 pm

deleted.

Last edited by cmnmia; Jan 7, 2022 at 9:00 pm Reason: realised OP was asking about evoucher with ba after submitted reply.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:49 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jay_cee87
Evening all,

I am pretty much flexible on dates and where I go (Restrictions permitting of course). Ideally would like to do it over a long weekend and leave it as late as possible for hopefully more destinations to open up but not essential if a good deal comes up sooner. I have lots of e-vouchers to use so prefer something that can be booked via BA.

I have been playing around with google flights (not that well versed in Matrix sadly) and have found the following:

MAD to CPH to LHR to BOS to DFW to SFO to LAX to BOS to MAD in June (Thursday departure) for £1400. This looks like around 620 TP in club and is bookable via BA.
Anyone have any suggestions for a better/ more cost effective routing or anyways to maybe cram in the extra 180 TP's for a similar price?

Best wishes
BOS-DFW is only 40TP. If you can do a 140TP sector from BOS to the west coast on the outbound, that would increase the total.
Also I only make your total 580tp. Not sure if you flying BOS-MAD direct or via a European airport.

Mad-Cph-Lhr-Bos-Lax-sfo and back would be 800tp.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC
I need inspiration to get just 5TPs! Assuming a trip to St Lucia goes ahead in Feb I’m going to end up on 1120 TP, 5 short of Gold. The St Lucia trip is in theory a BA holiday with double TP, so will actually way exceed that if the double points get credited, and in the right year, but my TP end is 8 March. So, to play it save I’d like to see if I can just push myself over to get enough without needing the double TP.

The problem is that I start from NQY! I can do a same day there and back to Gatwick on Eastern for about 80 quid, but given that not a lot goes from Gatwick at the moment, what would be the cheapest and quickest B2B - I’m guessing I’d have to book BA codeshare on Vueling?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
I’m guessing I’d have to book BA codeshare on Vueling?
My condolences. It sounds we have a destitute among us.

Erm, why not just book something actually fun or comfortable? Or is it really that important to get the cheapest possible BA Galleries First access at LHR etc.?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/ GGL / Avis Preferred/ Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by jay_cee87
Evening all,

Best wishes
So, this fare or very similar is available for 2 night stays in LAX , flying on AA codeshares, AGP-HEL & HEL-JFK will be AY metal. If you only want the greatest haul of Tier Points this route is good for that 840 Tier points for 3 sectors each way. However, there are long stopovers, which are on the one hand good, no worry about missing the connecting flight! On the other hand, lots of time to kill and you may want to book into a Hotel, increasing your costs. The fare shown is for 15 Jun 22, but similar fares were showing for 21,22,28 and 29 Jun 22, but I did not drill down into the weeds of each fare. If you postion AGP in CE you get another 80 for a RTN from London. So a possible 920 Tier points. I hope this helps. Good luck.
MaxFlyer, alex67500 and wilsnunn like this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
I need inspiration to get just 5TPs! Assuming a trip to St Lucia goes ahead in Feb I’m going to end up on 1120 TP, 5 short of Gold. The St Lucia trip is in theory a BA holiday with double TP, so will actually way exceed that if the double points get credited, and in the right year, but my TP end is 8 March. So, to play it save I’d like to see if I can just push myself over to get enough without needing the double TP.

The problem is that I start from NQY! I can do a same day there and back to Gatwick on Eastern for about 80 quid, but given that not a lot goes from Gatwick at the moment, what would be the cheapest and quickest B2B - I’m guessing I’d have to book BA codeshare on Vueling?
90mins up the A30 and cream/jam the 'wrong' way around, but..... Could you do EXT-BHD-LHR the day before your LHR->St. Lucia? (Or LHR-BHD-EXT on your return). 5 TPs for one of the legs and 9,250 Avios + 50p for the other?

(EXT<->BHD only operates Mon, Fri, Sun though)

Last edited by Nikko5; Jan 8, 2022 at 12:13 pm
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Hello all! I have been looking at some fares for AGP-HEL-JFK-SFO and return but I have issues finding the exact routing in ITAMatrix: choosing AGP-SFO w/ stops HEL JFK there are no flights found but with X X it finds them but the fare but it is 4k - any advice here?

I'm looking for ~June dates with short weekend return, ie Thu there Sun back. Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2022, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by jaro
Hello all! I have been looking at some fares for AGP-HEL-JFK-SFO and return but I have issues finding the exact routing in ITAMatrix: choosing AGP-SFO w/ stops HEL JFK there are no flights found but with X X it finds them but the fare but it is 4k - any advice here?

I'm looking for ~June dates with short weekend return, ie Thu there Sun back. Thanks!
The fare has a minimum stay requirement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.