Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I’m doing my first ever TP run next March as I transition from AAdvantage over to BAEC given the new AA loyalty points scheme. My trip breaks the “TP Value/spend” ratio as I’m doing LAX-JFK-LHR-DXB and return all in F for $5,800, but in my case as it earns 1260TP, I’ll go from Blue to Gold in just 6 days and I get to pick seats without status on all 6 flights.

I’m then doing a LAX-MIA-BOG-DFW-CLT-SAN trip in May (new collection year) for 500TP on a fully refundable ticket that costs $850, so more in line with what a TP spend ratio should look like.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
Deleted half my post since it was addressed upthread
My analysis is that I can spend $900 for fewer benefits than if I do a TP run. I think flying is fun, but my time is certainly constrained. If I can fly somewhere for a weekend for a few hundred dollars more than the annual fee and get a few more benefits, then I might just do it.
Nothing wrong with anything you do in this sphere. It is, however, easy to get caught up in the "excitement" of the idea of flying around to gain TPs, mileage, status, whatever. I have neighbors who are highest level DL flyers, and they take trips frequently just for the purpose of maintaining their Sky Team status. I have generally avoided doing this but am making an exception this year, however almost none of the travel I'm doing to get status is travel I wouldn't have done otherwise, except perhaps for the routing used.

The people for whom BA status is worth the most are going to be Europe-based, very frequent flyers, who generally do not get lounge access with the fares they use, and who want to visit lounges.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, IB, LH, IHG Gold
Very new to this, but I've recently accepted a new job that will see me flying quick trips TPA-MIA once each month for the foreseeable future. I'm trying to take advantage of BA's reduced status levels to get Oneworld Sapphire for Flagship Lounge access at MIA. The standby flexibility would be a great perk as well since there are quite a few daily flights on the route. Alternatively, I could purchase the AA Executive card with Admiral's Club access, which is a $450 annual fee. That said, if I get status in early 2022 and it runs through 2023 then I would need to pay the annual fee twice to get the same benefits as earning via a TP run. And I would only get Admiral's Club access, not Flagship.

I've been researching all weekend trying to find the best options to hit close to the 450 tier points for anywhere from Florida to anywhere in Europe. It appears my best option right now is a weekend run MIA-MXP in J pricing around $1,900 with two stops in each direction. That would put me at 440 TP and then I would hit 450 with my first TPA-MIA roundtrip.

I recognize this isn't a great $/TP value, but I have to hit the BA flight minimum as well and can't come up with a way to do it without flying across the pond. I would much prefer to take advantage of the cheap AA J flights to South America, but then I would still need the BA flight minimum. Any ideas?
As you are located in Florida, you can avoid TATL to get the 4 BA flights in the Caribbean on the 5th freedom island hops.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ubiest
As you are located in Florida, you can avoid TATL to get the 4 BA flights in the Caribbean on the 5th freedom island hops.
Aha, this is what I was looking for. Could be tricky to get four of these since they appear to be one-way, but definitely opens up more options. EDIT: after quickly looking it appears NAS-GCM is operated in both directions. Not sure if that applies to all the rest.

Last edited by FlyerTalkUserName; Nov 22, 2021 at 11:51 am
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Aha, this is what I was looking for. Could be tricky to get four of these since they appear to be one-way, but definitely opens up more options. EDIT: after quickly looking it appears NAS-GCM is operated in both directions. Not sure if that applies to all the rest.
Be sure to check the days those 5th freedom flights operate as they are not daily. I've also not found them easy to book AND you have to get to/from the Caribbean destination to actually take the flight.

From FL, a simple r/t to/from any where in Europe on BA/AA/IB (4 flights/qualifying) should be easier and less-risky in case of a delay or cancellation. Don't forget IB-operated flights with an IB flight number count too.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:12 pm

ANU-TAB-ANU is both ways too. TAB B2B feasibility is inexplicably missing from the main B2B thread though!
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
That’s standard AA rules - you need to have the same FFP for use in terms of benefits and crediting. They don’t like it if you split between two different FFPs.
I understand this, but it has bizarre incidental effects.

To take but one example; at the moment, I have MVP Gold status with AS, and Silver status with BA. These both equate to Sapphire OW level status. I will soon have BA Gold status, but that is irrelevant to this illustration.

If I fly AS in coach, using my BA EC # on the ticket, then I have lounge access in AS lounges. If I fly AS in coach using my AS Mileage Plan number, I do NOT get AS lounge access; this would apply even if I got upgraded to First (J) with AS due to my MVP Gold status.

Now, granted, AS is doing at least the part applying to their own Mileage Plan members because they want their frequent flyers to buy an annual lounge "membership;" they will even give you a modest reduction in lounge membership price if you are an elite member, but we are still talking hundreds of dollars.

BUT, this is a huge incentive for their frequent flyers (who use BA or IB at least occasionally) to get their points and mileage with another program (in this case BA) rather than to be members of their own AS Mileage Plan program. In my case, although I fly AS more frequently than I fly BA, being USA-based, I do way more miles with BA than with AS. So it probably makes more sense going forward for me to consolidate all of my flying using the BA EC number rather than my AS MP number. But I can see where there could be quite a few AS MP members who switch over to the BA EC primarily for lounge access in the USA with AS, which they would not get without paying for it, were they using the AS MP instead of the BA EC for their mileage/points accumulation.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by geo1005
Don't forget IB-operated flights with an IB flight number count too.
Thank you for the reminder on this. Trying to tease out a mixed-cabin itinerary from MCO to TLV with the outbound in J and the return in W. The late afternoon departure on BA TLV-LHR was really blowing up the efficiency of it and BA doesn't codeshare on the morning TLV-MAD on IB.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I’m doing my first ever TP run next March as I transition from AAdvantage over to BAEC given the new AA loyalty points scheme. My trip breaks the “TP Value/spend” ratio as I’m doing LAX-JFK-LHR-DXB and return all in F for $5,800, but in my case as it earns 1260TP, I’ll go from Blue to Gold in just 6 days and I get to pick seats without status on all 6 flights.

I’m then doing a LAX-MIA-BOG-DFW-CLT-SAN trip in May (new collection year) for 500TP on a fully refundable ticket that costs $850, so more in line with what a TP spend ratio should look like.
Like Reetmafreen, I'm in transition from AAdvantage as well. I apologize for this rook question, but I need clarification as I have a number of TP runs set up from Feb 12, 22 - Apr 1, 22 to secure Gold. My TP year ends on January 8, 2022, so that means as of January 9, 2022 my new year has started and the TP runs booked in Feb and Mar will count for the following year? Or is it until January 8, 2023? Thanks again for the assist. I'll get better at this, I swear. Cheers
Old Nov 22, 2021, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tack
Like Reetmafreen, I'm in transition from AAdvantage as well. I apologize for this rook question, but I need clarification as I have a number of TP runs set up from Feb 12, 22 - Apr 1, 22 to secure Gold. My TP year ends on January 8, 2022, so that means as of January 9, 2022 my new year has started and the TP runs booked in Feb and Mar will count for the following year? Or is it until January 8, 2023? Thanks again for the assist. I'll get better at this, I swear. Cheers
Yes to the 1st question, and the year will continue until one year after it starts, as in Jan. of 2023. With your planned travel it sounds like you will also benefit from the reduced level of TP required before June 2022. Once you get your status in 2022, it will continue for the rest of 2022 and until the anniversary of that year, in this case early 2024.
Tack likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by champignon
The people for whom BA status is worth the most are going to be Europe-based, very frequent flyers, who generally do not get lounge access with the fares they use, and who want to visit lounges.
I don't quite agree with your statement above, specifically the "Europe-based" qualification. I very much value my BAEC status (gold since the demise of bmi) here in the USA due to 1) Flagship Lounge access (ignoring for now the covid closures), 2) Main Cabin Extra seating on cheap/award tickets, and 3) free day-of standby. Things may change, but for now I am quite happy spending an extra (roughly) $2500-$3000 in airfare every other year to get treated like an AA EXP (minus upgrades) and have FL access.
Blue Skye and Tack like this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I don't quite agree with your statement above, specifically the "Europe-based" qualification. I very much value my BAEC status (gold since the demise of bmi) here in the USA due to 1) Flagship Lounge access (ignoring for now the covid closures), 2) Main Cabin Extra seating on cheap/award tickets, and 3) free day-of standby. Things may change, but for now I am quite happy spending an extra (roughly) $2500-$3000 in airfare every other year to get treated like an AA EXP (minus upgrades) and have FL access.
Obviously there will be exceptions; I value my status as well, which is why I'm going to the trouble to do a mileage/TP/whatever aggrandized trip in Dec.

But I don't view myself as the typical BA flyer for whom elite status would be worth the effort and expense to achieve.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 4:40 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The discussion of whether status is worth it in this thread seems a bit “meta”. I kind of assume if you are here you have already decided
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by alex67500
With positioning, that's Gold in one trip if you manage it before June though!
​​​​

Why in one trip?
Old Nov 22, 2021, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaro
​​​​

Why in one trip?
He wants to get to the LP GS fast enough that he forgets the bubbly plonk that precedes it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.