Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2021, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is the continuation of the discussion hosted in the BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition thread.

Useful tips and technical pointers
El_Duderito's explanation on fare routings and the maximum permitted distance you are allowed to travel (based on the distance between the origin and destination airports)

Helpful maps
The following series of maps show a 2,000 mile radius around each oneworld hub, useful for strategic planning purposes. Hopefully these will help your imagination to run free. Click on the images to reveal the accompanying maps.

EMEA

Asia Pacific

North America

Previous editions
BA Tier Point Runs | 2019-20 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2017 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2016 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2015 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | 2014 edition
BA Tier Point Runs | original edition
Print Wikipost

BA Tier Point Runs | 2021 edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xenole
Nice run. Might see if it's possible to reduce the number of overnights.

Either it's me yet again, or ITA Matrix keeps changing flight orders when you change date.
i.e. SOF to HEL on the 4th July. I change 4th July to the 5th July, and that flight now becomes No2 with HEL-SFO as the 1st flight.
I think matrix auto orders the flight segments based on date, so if you change the date of the first segment to be the same or later than the next segment, it switches the flights around.

Annoying isn't it?
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by xenole
Nice run. Might see if it's possible to reduce the number of overnights.

Either it's me yet again, or ITA Matrix keeps changing flight orders when you change date.
i.e. SOF to HEL on the 4th July. I change 4th July to the 5th July, and that flight now becomes No2 with HEL-SFO as the 1st flight.
Yep, I found that the easiest thing to do when playing with dates is to change in reverser order. For example, I might add one week to every date starting with the last flight. That was the flight order remains intact.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 6:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by billinghamn
I think matrix auto orders the flight segments based on date, so if you change the date of the first segment to be the same or later than the next segment, it switches the flights around.

Annoying isn't it?
Less so when you understand how it works. If you then change the next segment to be later than what was the first segment, it will reorder them again. Basically, it amends everything in sequential date order so it's actually quite useful.
our_kid likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Not sure if you have been to PHX before but I would just keep an eye out for the arrival and departure gates as although they are in the same terminal, there are 4 fingers to them with the moving travelators linking the fingers along the bottom;

https://www.skyharbor.com/docs/defau...sn=a33b9388_90

Worst would be a High B to High A transfer.

A half hour should be fine assuming an ontime arrival but you may not have a lot of time to linger.

Regards

TBS
Agreed, PHX can be a 10 yards across the corridor connection or a full on 2 terminal sprint, despite that its one of my favourites
Old Nov 13, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is anyone aware of anything that doesn't have a 180-day advance booking requirement? I'm being abandoned by my wife early next year and fancy getting CCR access back, so would look for something offering around 750TP if possible.

I've been playing around with ITA matrix for a while and can't see anything.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by Schiehallion
Is anyone aware of anything that doesn't have a 180-day advance booking requirement? I'm being abandoned by my wife early next year and fancy getting CCR access back, so would look for something offering around 750TP if possible.

I've been playing around with ITA matrix for a while and can't see anything.
At the moment the only not 180-days advance fare with the most TPs possible that I have found is AMS-SJC for 1450/1500 euro, very little available departure dates between 23 and 31 December.
Example

For less TPs see BA/AA/IB AMS-CMH (Columbus, Ohio) and others sub € 1.300 in Business in the premium deal forum
Schiehallion likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lefly
At the moment the only not 180-days advance fare with the most TPs possible that I have found is AMS-SJC for 1450/1500 euro, very little available departure dates between 23 and 31 December.
Example

For less TPs see BA/AA/IB AMS-CMH (Columbus, Ohio) and others sub € 1.300 in Business in the premium deal forum
If you have to overnight in the vicinity of SJC, plan to spend at least several hundred dollars for a hotel the class of an Ibis. I have canceled award bookings in the past that would have required me to sleep nearby, after looking into lodging rates. I guess there is always the terminal, if they will let you stay there overnight.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Now that people can come to the US, this is a bit more relevant. You can fly to SJU via DFW or AUS from a few cities for ~$600 in AA business. 140+40 each way TP.
Sifu likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Honors Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by izzik
Now that people can come to the US, this is a bit more relevant. You can fly to SJU via DFW or AUS from a few cities for ~$600 in AA business. 140+40 each way TP.
Is that approx $600 from the West Coast? Struggling to find fares to SJU via DFW or similar 140+40 routes for that price around June 2022.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Honors Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Gold
Originally Posted by RG1X
I like that, not least because I can get to Malaga for next to nothing.
Lucky for some! and then there is me trying to look for a relatively acceptable fare from LHR-MAD-AGP for 120TP return which at sub £250 is very acceptable for positioning purposes and extra TP towards the 'hopeful GGL bank'.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've a TP run in a bit of chaos for January at the moment. It's the return SFO-MIA-JFK-LHR-MAN leg. The JFK-LHR is cancelled, and there is no way to get an earlier flight from New York.

Does this open up one, or both options below?

1) Rebook a different route home, I've found SFO-hR-MAN so I keep the same number of tier points.
2) Overnight at MIA or JFK and get flights the next day, as long as it's not a 24 hour stopover?

I take it BA customer services are used to people not wanting to get rebooked onto more direct flights?
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LancashireFlyer
I've a TP run in a bit of chaos for January at the moment. It's the return SFO-MIA-JFK-LHR-MAN leg. The JFK-LHR is cancelled, and there is no way to get an earlier flight from New York.

1) Rebook a different route home, I've found SFO-hR-MAN so I keep the same number of tier points.
2) Overnight at MIA or JFK and get flights the next day, as long as it's not a 24 hour stopover?

I take it BA customer services are used to people not wanting to get rebooked onto more direct flights?
Just to let you know for option 1; SFO-LHR-MAN I think you made a typo as that's definitely 180 TP's for the leg rather than 360 at the first place.
Yes, you could also overnight at MIA or JFK on your own expense if the layover is shorter than 24 hours.
Lefly and LancashireFlyer like this.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec

Option 1 depends mostly on the exact route chosen, but for what I know, and in my experience so far, both options can be available.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:12 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
I thought I had read a post on here by corporate-wage-slave that BA were not allowing indirect re-routing when direct was available. But I cant find it (or I was dreaming) - and 'direct' is too short a term for the FT search engine.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 7:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sifu
Is that approx $600 from the West Coast? Struggling to find fares to SJU via DFW or similar 140+40 routes for that price around June 2022.
For example, it is < $600 from Chicago until early February. <$700 until early May.
FYI, airfares in June will be more expensive due to the busy summer travel season.
Sifu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.