Falklands

Old Feb 5, 21, 7:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Posts: 2,738
Falklands

Just received the following story in my inbox: Flightadar: All About the Falklands

It's a pretty interesting description of air travel from, to & around the Falklands, including the latest journey by a Lufthansa A350 that carried a few researchers headed to Antarctica.

Is there any reason BA don't operate to the Falklands? Assume there isn't enough demand for 3 daily non-stops, but a weekly add on to a GRU (though maybe not EZE) flight could be feasible? I always wanted to go, perfect way to use a GUF...
LCY8737 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK/France
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, etc
Posts: 250
There is a weekly UK Falklands Island shuttle (or at least there was pre-COVID) operated by AirTanker on behalf of the UK MOD using a civil standard A330.

I dont know how you get a ticket and there are certainly no Avios to collect.

Look on Flightradar24 for G-VYG* to find the flights.
Robespierre is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:30 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 796
LAN used to operate a weekly flight I believe, but was scrapped.
londonba2014 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:31 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by Robespierre View Post
There is a weekly UK Falklands Island shuttle (or at least there was pre-COVID) operated by AirTanker on behalf of the UK MOD using a civil standard A330.

I dont know how you get a ticket and there are certainly no Avios to collect.

Look on Flightradar24 for G-VYG* to find the flights.
For the AirTanker services, you have to book via the Government of Falklands office phone line/email (based in London). Itís a fixed price ticket of £2222 return! (Economy that too!)

https://www.falklands.gov.fk/more-in.../getting-here/
AirbusA350 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:37 am
  #5  
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: London, UK
Posts: 20,619
Talesfromtheroad posted a great trip report the other week. My Introduction, and a trip to the Falkland Islands
Prospero is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:10 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Posts: 2,738
Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
For the AirTanker services, you have to book via the Government of Falklands office phone line/email (based in London). Itís a fixed price ticket of £2222 return! (Economy that too!)

https://www.falklands.gov.fk/more-in.../getting-here/
At that price point, you would think BA would consider operating this route.
LCY8737 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:17 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,488
I used to fly that route in the 90's flying the Tristar 500. I doubt it has changed much since then in terms of the economics, its not really a commercial route but one servicing the needs if the garrison and those who service it.

There are commercial elements, a lot of merchant naval stuff and crew on fishing boats but I doubt there is a real commercial need for the long range flight. Its certainly spartan when you get there.

Beautiful in a Highlands and Islands sense. All types of weather in a day and can be "exciting" to land in frequent, strong crosswinds with plenty of rotor streaming and mechanical turbulence.

As a route, a commercial operator would have fewer restrictions than the military, but suitable diversion airports will always be an issue.
our_kid, BryanIAH and skipness1E like this.
Waterhorse is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:18 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
At that price point, you would think BA would consider operating this route.
I guess pre-pandemic, BA needed as many planes as they could considering their highly profitable operation, so perhaps this wasnít really worthwhile for them?
AirbusA350 is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:19 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Posts: 2,738
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Talesfromtheroad posted a great trip report the other week. My Introduction, and a trip to the Falkland Islands
Fascinating trip report, but Jet2 livery with boarding by rank? If BA don't start this route I think I'll go via SCL...
LCY8737 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:22 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 3,449
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
At that price point, you would think BA would consider operating this route.
Considering that the population of the archipelago is less than 5,000 that the flight operates only twice a week, that it's mostly military personnel onboard and the length of the route... I think it won't happen for a while. Although it'd have been cool and certainly preferable than the n-th flight to Whateverville, USA, that BA were launching prior to Covid*.


*My personal opinion, no offence to the resident of Whateverville intended.
13901 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:30 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Locked down in the UK
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
Posts: 5,357
As an aside, an AirTanker 330 went there earlier this week and was mentioned on another site I follow. It had a stop in Dakar, presumably to refuel.

It was carrying 3000 doses of COVID vaccine from the UK.

Last edited by antichef; Feb 5, 21 at 9:19 am Reason: ETA: right country - thanks fruitcage!
antichef is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,087
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
As an aside, an AirTanker 330 went there earlier this week and was mentioned on another site I follow. It had a stop in Dacca, presumably to refuel.

It was carrying 3000 doses of COVID vaccine from the UK.
More likely Dakar?
antichef likes this.
fruitcage is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:47 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Posts: 2,738
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Considering that the population of the archipelago is less than 5,000 that the flight operates only twice a week, that it's mostly military personnel onboard and the length of the route... I think it won't happen for a while.
I'm blessed with a certain level of ignorance when it comes to the detailed touristic appeal of the Falklands and potential load factors, but if this would tag on to a GRU flight (this has historically been done for SCL and EZE if I'm not wrong) it wouldn't quite need the load factors of a stand-alone route.

Also, a decent connection might open up demand. I'm certainly not going to spend £2.2k for a Jet2 experience to the other end of the world. But a 2k J fare, maybe combined with a few days in Brazil - now we're talking!
DrBenO likes this.
LCY8737 is online now  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:54 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LHR/LGW
Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
Posts: 389
And Lufthansa operated an A350 service Hamburg - Mount Pleasant this week with some governmental survey teams heading to/from the Antarctic. Flight time 15 hours and 37 minutes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-aixp LH2574
https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-c...st-flight-yet/
ExpatExp likes this.
beardedgeologist is offline  
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:56 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,488
Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
I'm blessed with a certain level of ignorance when it comes to the detailed touristic appeal of the Falklands and potential load factors, but if this would tag on to a GRU flight (this has historically been done for SCL and EZE if I'm not wrong) it wouldn't quite need the load factors of a stand-alone route.

Also, a decent connection might open up demand. I'm certainly not going to spend £2.2k for a Jet2 experience to the other end of the world. But a 2k J fare, maybe combined with a few days in Brazil - now we're talking!
BA doesn't need to try to grow demand at the moment, rather the post Covid world is for more likely to see a retreat to the Core business. Tag on, or shuttle fIights are seldom worth doing as they have lighter loads and the aircraft is not being utilized very efficienty. I very much doubt we will see BA on a route to Mount Pleasant.
HIDDY and T8191 like this.
Waterhorse is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: