Falklands

Old Feb 5, 21, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, TK Elite
Falklands

Just received the following story in my inbox: Flightadar: All About the Falklands

It's a pretty interesting description of air travel from, to & around the Falklands, including the latest journey by a Lufthansa A350 that carried a few researchers headed to Antarctica.

Is there any reason BA don't operate to the Falklands? Assume there isn't enough demand for 3 daily non-stops, but a weekly add on to a GRU (though maybe not EZE) flight could be feasible? I always wanted to go, perfect way to use a GUF...
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, etc
There is a weekly UK Falklands Island shuttle (or at least there was pre-COVID) operated by AirTanker on behalf of the UK MOD using a civil standard A330.

I dont know how you get a ticket and there are certainly no Avios to collect.

Look on Flightradar24 for G-VYG* to find the flights.
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC
LAN used to operate a weekly flight I believe, but was scrapped.
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Robespierre View Post
There is a weekly UK Falklands Island shuttle (or at least there was pre-COVID) operated by AirTanker on behalf of the UK MOD using a civil standard A330.

I dont know how you get a ticket and there are certainly no Avios to collect.

Look on Flightradar24 for G-VYG* to find the flights.
For the AirTanker services, you have to book via the Government of Falklands office phone line/email (based in London). Itís a fixed price ticket of £2222 return! (Economy that too!)

https://www.falklands.gov.fk/more-in.../getting-here/
Old Feb 5, 21, 7:37 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Talesfromtheroad posted a great trip report the other week. My Introduction, and a trip to the Falkland Islands
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AirbusA350 View Post
For the AirTanker services, you have to book via the Government of Falklands office phone line/email (based in London). Itís a fixed price ticket of £2222 return! (Economy that too!)

https://www.falklands.gov.fk/more-in.../getting-here/
At that price point, you would think BA would consider operating this route.
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:17 am

I used to fly that route in the 90's flying the Tristar 500. I doubt it has changed much since then in terms of the economics, its not really a commercial route but one servicing the needs if the garrison and those who service it.

There are commercial elements, a lot of merchant naval stuff and crew on fishing boats but I doubt there is a real commercial need for the long range flight. Its certainly spartan when you get there.

Beautiful in a Highlands and Islands sense. All types of weather in a day and can be "exciting" to land in frequent, strong crosswinds with plenty of rotor streaming and mechanical turbulence.

As a route, a commercial operator would have fewer restrictions than the military, but suitable diversion airports will always be an issue.
our_kid, BryanIAH and skipness1E like this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by LCY8737 View Post
I guess pre-pandemic, BA needed as many planes as they could considering their highly profitable operation, so perhaps this wasnít really worthwhile for them?
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Talesfromtheroad posted a great trip report the other week. My Introduction, and a trip to the Falkland Islands
Fascinating trip report, but Jet2 livery with boarding by rank? If BA don't start this route I think I'll go via SCL...
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:22 am

Considering that the population of the archipelago is less than 5,000 that the flight operates only twice a week, that it's mostly military personnel onboard and the length of the route... I think it won't happen for a while. Although it'd have been cool and certainly preferable than the n-th flight to Whateverville, USA, that BA were launching prior to Covid*.

*My personal opinion, no offence to the resident of Whateverville intended.
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:30 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Gold
As an aside, an AirTanker 330 went there earlier this week and was mentioned on another site I follow. It had a stop in Dakar, presumably to refuel.

It was carrying 3000 doses of COVID vaccine from the UK.

Last edited by antichef; Feb 5, 21 at 9:19 am Reason: ETA: right country - thanks fruitcage!
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:47 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by antichef View Post
As an aside, an AirTanker 330 went there earlier this week and was mentioned on another site I follow. It had a stop in Dacca, presumably to refuel.

It was carrying 3000 doses of COVID vaccine from the UK.
More likely Dakar?
antichef likes this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Considering that the population of the archipelago is less than 5,000 that the flight operates only twice a week, that it's mostly military personnel onboard and the length of the route... I think it won't happen for a while.
I'm blessed with a certain level of ignorance when it comes to the detailed touristic appeal of the Falklands and potential load factors, but if this would tag on to a GRU flight (this has historically been done for SCL and EZE if I'm not wrong) it wouldn't quite need the load factors of a stand-alone route.

Also, a decent connection might open up demand. I'm certainly not going to spend £2.2k for a Jet2 experience to the other end of the world. But a 2k J fare, maybe combined with a few days in Brazil - now we're talking!
DrBenO likes this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:54 am

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
And Lufthansa operated an A350 service Hamburg - Mount Pleasant this week with some governmental survey teams heading to/from the Antarctic. Flight time 15 hours and 37 minutes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/d-aixp LH2574
https://simpleflying.com/lufthansa-c...st-flight-yet/
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Feb 5, 21, 8:56 am

I'm blessed with a certain level of ignorance when it comes to the detailed touristic appeal of the Falklands and potential load factors, but if this would tag on to a GRU flight (this has historically been done for SCL and EZE if I'm not wrong) it wouldn't quite need the load factors of a stand-alone route.

Also, a decent connection might open up demand. I'm certainly not going to spend £2.2k for a Jet2 experience to the other end of the world. But a 2k J fare, maybe combined with a few days in Brazil - now we're talking!
BA doesn't need to try to grow demand at the moment, rather the post Covid world is for more likely to see a retreat to the Core business. Tag on, or shuttle fIights are seldom worth doing as they have lighter loads and the aircraft is not being utilized very efficienty. I very much doubt we will see BA on a route to Mount Pleasant.
HIDDY and T8191 like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: