Wiki Posts
Search

CW Full 10 months out

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze
CW Full 10 months out

Not sure if this is a regular occurrence, but the CW cabin on my return flight from Grenada in November (BA2158, 27.11.21) is already sold out. (No revenue availability and expert flyer seat map looking pretty busy).

I guess there is a lot of pent up demand for leisure travel, but is it normal to be full this far out? We are currently scheduled on a 32J 3 class, but I wonder if BA will change this to a 48J - 4 class this early to open up the opportunity of selling more J (and F) or if, as we've speculated before, that sub-class might be retired and not be an option.

I know this is real crystal ball stuff, but wondered if there was a precedent?
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
There's no aviation precedent for the situation we're in. One possibility, just thinking aloud, might be that many people whose trips have been cancelled have simply rolled their bookings to dates further in the future, thus taking up space that in times of normal demand would not yet have been sold, or would not have been sold at these yields.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FamilyOf6
Not sure if this is a regular occurrence, but the CW cabin on my return flight from Grenada in November (BA2158, 27.11.21) is already sold out. (No revenue availability and expert flyer seat map looking pretty busy).

I guess there is a lot of pent up demand for leisure travel, but is it normal to be full this far out? We are currently scheduled on a 32J 3 class, but I wonder if BA will change this to a 48J - 4 class this early to open up the opportunity of selling more J (and F) or if, as we've speculated before, that sub-class might be retired and not be an option.

These are still shown as available on the BA site (return leg is selling class J at £2791)
Old Feb 2, 2021, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Agent69
These are still shown as available on the BA site (return leg is selling class J at £2791)
ok. That's a change to last night. I checked both UVF-LGW and GND-LGW and neither had availability.
BA2159 Ex LGW had 2 available in the cheaper fare bucket.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
There's no aviation precedent for the situation we're in. One possibility, just thinking aloud, might be that many people whose trips have been cancelled have simply rolled their bookings to dates further in the future, thus taking up space that in times of normal demand would not yet have been sold, or would not have been sold at these yields.
Understand your point about "no aviation precedent for tis situation", I guess there are many bumps to come also.

Regardless of whether it is actually full, or just nearly full- your suggestion regarding date rolling would make sense. I guess the question could apply to any flight; if it is filling up at that rate, presumably they would look to allocate a different a/c type/config or add an additional flight to maximise profits. Not sure what the WT loads are like.
Old Feb 4, 2021, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
If things go worse or stay the same in terms of COVID-19, people would claim FTV's so availability would likely open in the future.
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
without being scientific i just rebooked a cancelled CUN trip to early november and club is looking around 80% full both legs interms of allocated seats from MMB, i agree with others the COVID roll back of travel plans is coming into play, but this may be more pronounced on leisure routes
Old Feb 5, 2021, 3:06 am

Do not have too much faith in the computer system that indicates seat availability, it may well be dramatically wrong! Most people will not be doing as many keen flyers are in rolling flights forward in a desparate attempt to enjoy again their CW meal. They are just resigned to wait until everything is clearer. What you see and what is happening are entirely different. Relax and wait for a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.