Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is 2021 a write-off as far as international travel is concerned?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is 2021 a write-off as far as international travel is concerned?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2021, 4:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 13901
Pfizer was on record in saying they did not test for efficiency for a period as long as the one done in the UK. I'm not going to go down to the level of the trashy tabloids, and I hope that nothing bad comes out of the UK's decision and that everything is fine and dandy but... for the time being no other country is delaying the second dose for as long as the UK is and, again for the time being, Iceland (which is the only country I was referring to, and might as well change their guidance tomorrow) is saying that they will recognise vaccination as an 'excuse' not to go into quarantine in the following cases for the Pfizer vaccine.
Indeed as noted in my post. Is it a gamble, yes but with the chips extremely heavily stacked in our favour. It would be extremely surprising if doing the second vaccine at 12 weeks either gave no boost from the 52% level. Even if that boost somehow was only up to 80% rather than the 95% achieved in trials, it would still be fine. There is absolutely no basis to suggest there would be any negative effect. Multiple dose vaccines actually tend actually work better with a longer gap.

In terms of why extending the second dose is being done - I posted in this in the local lockdown thread but I am just copying it in here. it is from Prof David Salisbury who was the Director of Immunisation at the Department of Health and chaired the Strategic Advisory Group of Experts on immunisation for the World Health Organisation.

The maths is interesting and I hadn't thought about it until recently. Bear in mind that even with one dose, significant protection is given - about 52% for Pfizer, about 60-65% for AZ.

- If you have 2m doses, giving 2 doses to 1 m people gives 95% efficacy, so you protect protect around 500k-600k of them after the first dose rising to 950k after the second.
- Give 2m people 1 dose each, and even at 50-60% efficacy you have protected 1m-1.2m of them after the 1st dose, and you can catch up with the second to achieve full protection at 12 weeks.

If the resources required for giving all doses (so 1st or 2nd) are equal it makes sense to pursue the second plan if your goal is to protect as many as possible earlier in the program, effectively you get more "return" on your first dose than the second dose.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:03 am

Again, I'm not disputing that there is method in why the UK is doing this and I won't pretend to be a doctor, a public health official, a data scientist or whatever. I'll leave calculations on whether you are 50% protected, or 60% or, 80% to those who have studied the subject.
All I'm merely saying there is potential for issues in recognising the validity of one's vaccine due to the way it's administered. Until the fine folks at the WHO, or the EMA etc rule that the 12 week interval is OK there is potential for countries not to recognise the vaccine's validity as in the case of Iceland.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 13901
Until the fine folks at the WHO, or the EMA etc rule that the 12 week interval is OK there is potential for countries not to recognise the vaccine's validity as in the case of Iceland.
It should become apparent in a matter of weeks whether the UK's approach is correct: the number of deaths should start to fall very quickly once all vulnerable groups have been vaccinated.

The fact that the various drug trials did not test the efficacy of vaccine doses given many weeks apart does not mean that it makes the vaccine less effective. There is plenty of evidence that longer gaps are actually better, particularly in the case of vaccines of the type that AstraZeneca's is.

The problem, really, is that the British government has by its past action and inaction destroyed its reputation and credibility and no-one is willing any longer to give them the benefit of the doubt.
squawk and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Misco60

​​​​​​...

The problem, really, is that the British [insert name of any govt here] government has by its past action and inaction destroyed its reputation and credibility and no-one is willing any longer to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Fixed that for ya 😊
ianwall, BingBongBoy and argonath like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Fixed that for ya 😊
Not true. There are governments that have dealt with this unprecedented and unpredictable crisis with some skill.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think to be fair the second dose at 12 weeks was recommended by the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation which is made up of scientists, some of whom are also not based in the UK - i.e. not politicians
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This is so omni
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:15 am

I think Adz will approve the 12 week dosing, it was I believe based on part of their trial data and will hopefully be a way of boosting the effectiveness. I can't see any country restricting travel unduly for a dosing regime that is signed off by the manufacturer
The more worrying thing is the Pfizer vaccine - this is against manufacturers advice. It may or may not be effective, and Pfizer may or may not be willing to sign off on the revised dose regime.
If it isn't effective, then we have bigger probelms like how do we re-vaccinate the population given the extended dose. If it is effective, but not approved, and other countries don't recognise it, then a subset of the UK population will have continued restrictions due to improperly given vaccines. Where will redress lie - my relatives signed up to the authorised dose and had their interval doses changed, without their permission after one jab. If they cannot freely travel due to this unilateral change (while the rest of the population can), will they have claim for compensation against HMG. Will the government be able to buy tier points for them to retain status in the 6-12 months extra that they can't travel while this mess is sorted out? What about lost work and social opportunities they would have had, had the jab been administered as per mfg recommended regime.

The UK Gov has a lot to answer for, and unlike the vaccine manufacturers, has not got a liability waiver!
Cathay1101 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
This is so omni
Whilst the Thread has, perhaps, strayed from the OP’s intended course, I would suggest that vaccine factors (along with testing) are extremely germane to the plot! Especially to those of us who have been Pfizered, it now appears!
squawk and Cathay1101 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
Where will redress lie - my relatives signed up to the authorised dose and had their interval doses changed, without their permission after one jab. If they cannot freely travel due to this unilateral change (while the rest of the population can), will they have claim for compensation against HMG. Will the government be able to buy tier points for them to retain status in the 6-12 months extra that they can't travel while this mess is sorted out?
On what grounds? What is the law that says governments must facilitate overseas travel? To my knowledge there isn’t even one that says they must vaccinate their populations. It’s the epitome of ‘compensation culture’ that this question is even raised at all.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by Confus
On what grounds? What is the law that says governments must facilitate overseas travel? To my knowledge there isn’t even one that says they must vaccinate their populations. It’s the epitome of ‘compensation culture’ that this question is even raised at all.
That they administered the vaccine improperly (not in accordance with the manufacturer's guidelines.) Personally I'd prefer to trust Pfizer's findings on the time-related efficacy of their vaccine versus a government desperate to roll them out at any cost.

I expect such a case would have little credence, though, particularly given the far greater policy failures Johnson's government have executed over the past year and the likelihood that they'll be dragged over the coals for those instead once this all dies down.
GBOAC likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Silver / SQ Sol PPS / KE & EK Nobody!
Originally Posted by T8191
Whilst the Thread has, perhaps, strayed from the OP’s intended course, I would suggest that vaccine factors (along with testing) are extremely germane to the plot! Especially to those of us who have been Pfizered, it now appears!
O, to have been Pfizered! One can dream, but that's what happens when you leave Brussels in charge...!
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:37 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Originally Posted by Cathay1101
O, to have been Pfizered! One can dream, but that's what happens when you leave Brussels in charge...!

Unless one is rather fortunate enough to have been Pfizered twice within the 28 day window...
Old Feb 2, 2021, 8:51 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius
Unless one is rather fortunate enough to have been Pfizered twice within the 28 day window...
luckily my 91 year old mum had the two doses but think she might be one of the last sadly!
Old Feb 2, 2021, 9:28 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Confus
No EU261s on mis-vaccine/denied boarding for HMG (post brexit)? We must let the Guardian know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.