Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nightstop in Dublin as a passenger - PCR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Nightstop in Dublin as a passenger - PCR?

Hi all,

Daughter looking to fly Ryanair into Dublin and then BA/Aer Lingus to London. Her plan is to collect stuff from home, and fly out next day to Madrid.

So will be on two tickets. Or even three!

Question: She doesn't need a PCR for transit at Dublin. But she'll have to get one for entry to London and for Madrid.

If her first PCR runs out, can she get a second one at Dublin with the result by email when she is in London?

Does transit at Dublin mean staying airside (airport and govt say - "no PCR required if you don't leave the airport, and have an onward flight booked")

If so, is there an airside hotel and an airside PCR test?

O
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:49 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it ends up as a DUB-LHR-MAD on one ticket then her PCR will be checked at DUB gate, Flight Connections London (assuming a same day departure) and at the departure gate in LHR. If it's a separate LHR-MAD flight then the checks move to check-in desk in T5 and the T5 gate. DUB will be OK without a test result as things stand but it could change again with little notice. It doesn't have to be PCR, TMA and LAMP are ok for Spain, and LAMP can be done by Collinson's in the arrivals level (landside) of T5.

Is this the most direct route to MAD? Or just cost effective? If it's the latter, I would urge simplicity at this time.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
DUB-MAD is possible. Ryanair on some days and Iberia on others.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:18 pm

Programs: BA:Silver, IHG:Plat Amb, Marriott:Plat, GHA: Plat
Hi Flygod,

I'm reading the itinerary as arriving into DUB on Ryanair and leaving on BA/EI to LHR and onto MAD, from the post title I'm taking that this is likely to involve an Overnight in Dublin.

A Ryanair -> BA/EI connection will most likely not be be airside. There is a limited Flight Connections channel in Dublin for ticketed connections only, normally this only opens during the Transatlantic arrivals/departures period early AM to just after lunch/early afternoon as that really covers all the eligible connections.

The answer to your questions about hotels and PCR Testing airside would also both be negative.

No Airside hotels at DUB, in fact none directly in the terminal, there are two on the airport campus both a short external walk/shuttle from the terminals.

PCR testing is also available on the airport campus, but not Airside, both locations are external to the terminal in parking areas, and require prebooking.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi CWS,

She's in Lanzarote with Flygoddess. The last direct to UK is tomorrow lunchtime with Easyjet to LGW, but I don't think she can get a test in time.

Going to London via Madrid, is possible on some days but usually involves an overnight in Madrid.

or to Dublin with Ryanair on Sat and Tues and Aer Lingus on Thurs, but that involves an overnight in Dublin.

Her view is that it might be best to get in the Common Travel Area for an overnight, rather than Madrid. She thinks that all the Spanish-speaking South Americans go via Madrid, the Brazilians via Lisbon. So it can't be long before Spain gets added to the no-fly list. Hence preferring overnight in Dublin.

Me, to keep it simple, just go straight to Madrid and buy the stuff she needs to pick up in London. But you know these creative types, they needs their lucky rabbit's feet!

Direct would be cheaper and less complex - but what do fathers know!

ps Is there a hotel in the airport in Dublin that's open? - answered by Digital_D, thanks
digital_d likes this.

Last edited by flygod; Jan 29, 2021 at 1:27 pm Reason: To add thanks at end
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by flygod
Direct would be cheaper and less complex - but what do fathers know!
More than their daughter in this situation. Honestly I would have another conversation with her, I can't see a visit to London to collect possessions being a reasonable excuse under the legislation, it's certainly not one that is specified. Things could be a lot easier in a few months, so to get involved in this level of complexity at this time seems unnecessary and the sort of risk she should be trying to minimise. Can't someone post / courier her items to Madrid?
Old Jan 29, 2021, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

CWS = I'd have given you a super like if there was one!

She's just been offered a 10-week film job and has some equipment. But even if it cost a grand or two to buy new - all tax deductible - I can't see the point. Can see the bank of dad making a "loan" too.

(I think having been away for a month and then now going to be away for 10 weeks, is actually the point! Aaargh!)
Old Jan 29, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Question: She doesn't need a PCR for transit at Dublin. But she'll have to get one for entry to London and for Madrid.
Wrong. The "transit" exception to the Irish Covid test rule requires that she not leave the airport. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/b4...ing-to-ireland

If her first PCR runs out, can she get a second one at Dublin with the result by email when she is in London?
Even if she could arrange the test in Dublin -- they are relatively tough to get -- she would not be able to board her flight in Dublin without the negative result.

Does transit at Dublin mean staying airside (airport and govt say - "no PCR required if you don't leave the airport, and have an onward flight booked")
Yes. The Covid test paperwork is checked at immigration.
If so, is there an airside hotel and an airside PCR test?
No and no.
Her view is that it might be best to get in the Common Travel Area for an overnight, rather than Madrid. She thinks that all the Spanish-speaking South Americans go via Madrid, the Brazilians via Lisbon. So it can't be long before Spain gets added to the no-fly list. Hence preferring overnight in Dublin.
Her view is fantasy. Does Spain require a Covid test for arrivals from the Canaries? Otherwise there is no way to avoid getting a Covid test where she is. Either way, I agree with you that this roundabout stuff to try to pick up some things in London is madness, assuming MAD is her final destination. And if she does get a test before the DUB-LHR-MAD thing she risks the 72 hours running out before she gets to MAD.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2021, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Dublin and indeed Ireland have stepped up the travel restrictions and Garda are actively monitoring departures and people in the airport.

she should just go straight to Madrid. Safer and probably a lot less hassle
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.