Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Doom Loop - BA vs BA Argument help please..........

Old Jan 26, 21, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR and other stuff too tedious to mention

I’m at a bit of a loss here with a BA versus BA argument ……….

GGL are saying that I am due a $3000 refund and BA Travel Trade team in the US are denying this, offering the travel agent with whom I booked the flight a refund voucher.

Edited highlights are as follows:

1) Booked flights on BA metal using a US travel agent (complex multi-sector itinerary incl. open jaw etc.)

2) Flew the outbound sectors – Covid happened – BA cancelled the return sectors

3) Applied for future travel voucher online with BA – denied

4) Applied for refund with travel agent – approved by them – email confirming $3000 to be paid “in weeks”

5) Nothing happens

6) Chase with travel agent – refund now denied – BA say “no” – offer a voucher

7) Remind travel agent that BA have previously refused a voucher – check with GGL who re-confirm refund is due

8) Delay

9) Call GGL again, they restate refund is the only way they can recompense me and also reinstate Joker and GUF1

10) Pass details to travel agent – BA Travel Trade Team US still say “no refund”

Yes, I did ask for a FTV (step 3)

GGL say “refund due” – they won't put anything in writing however……… So I haven’t much to go on other than email assertions made to the travel agent.

I have seen parts of the correspondence between the travel agent and the BA Travel Trade team in the US – and it appears the agent cant get the money refunded.

The bottom line however is I’m still out of pocket – and now in a doom-loop of BA’s making.

It’s a bit unedifying to see the BA vs. BA issues playing out, especially by “remote control” through the travel agent, and as the issue is now approaching 10 months old and no sight of resolution I would greatly appreciate any pointers as to what to do next……….

Incidentally - the travel agent has already refunded their fee which was made as a single charge on my card statement (I am rather intrigued by the DISTINCT AND SEPARATE BA charge on my BA Amex direct to BA North America for the original ticket price - could that be construed as my contract being with them directly, rather than the travel agent?)

Last edited by reviewerb; Jan 26, 21 at 10:47 am
Old Jan 26, 21, 10:48 am

As far as I know, if BA charged your card and the return flights were cancelled, they owe you a refund of some sort assuming any of the flight points were in the US (and covered by DOT regs). If I were you, I might try a CC dispute based on product not as advertised (since you paid for a round-trip and got one-way). A good CC company should chase this with BA on your behalf. Also, you could try to escalate within BA's corporate structure.
Old Jan 26, 21, 11:29 am
Company Representative, BA Refunds

Programs: BA Executive Club
Please PM me your booking reference and i can determine either way who is correct on this one.
Old Jan 26, 21, 11:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Go Fish
I had a very similar issue - I had a TA booking that I upgraded, and then called BA to GUF. it took about 5 months of constant hammering to get BA trade support to move their a.... luckily the TA was a friend and he worked hard, but i promise it was the worst possible combination of ticket being taken over but not really and my agent using Sabre which only showed exchanged ticket status whilst BA use amadeus, etc...
Old Jan 26, 21, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Marriott GOLD, Accor Club Gold
I had something of this kind happen with a ticket I had booked through AMEX Travel. I absolutely had two different stories being given to me by GGL and the TA, and eventually I borrowed my wife's phone, so I could make two calls at once, and literally put the two phones together so the two sides could talk to each other. Half an hour later I had my refund!
Erwin10, SKT-DK and annihilation like this.
Old Jan 26, 21, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR and other stuff too tedious to mention
Class Act !

This.......

Originally Posted by DominicB View Post
I borrowed my wife's phone, so I could make two calls at once, and literally put the two phones together so the two sides could talk to each other. Half an hour later I had my refund!
Like your style
Old Jan 26, 21, 2:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DominicB View Post
I had something of this kind happen with a ticket I had booked through AMEX Travel. I absolutely had two different stories being given to me by GGL and the TA, and eventually I borrowed my wife's phone, so I could make two calls at once, and literally put the two phones together so the two sides could talk to each other. Half an hour later I had my refund!
iPhones (other smartphones too, probably) will let you do this in-call now - just add another person to the call you're on.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 26, 21, 2:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by armouredant View Post
iPhones (other smartphones too, probably) will let you do this in-call now - just add another person to the call you're on.
On Android it's the big + symbol while in a call (or Add Call on the text skin) and then Merge Call. I don't think the + sign is that obvious as to what it is going to do, but it allows you to make a second call and then merge into a conference call.
HIDDY likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: