Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Anyone got a crystal ball? COVID and flying to the US...

Anyone got a crystal ball? COVID and flying to the US...

Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
This time last year I was heading back from Beijing from a project that was cancelled at short notice by the government for what we now know to be Covid reasons. Questions had first been raised during our December 19 visit but we returned in January all the same. I certainly could not have envisaged the past 12 months turning out as they have done in my wildest imagination. This year we have a long booked holiday to Florida at Easter that clearly won’t happen now and my business travel to the USA this autumn feels very uncertain at this stage. Having done such a bad job of predicting last year even with my advance warnings the crystal ball for this year is remaining locked securely away.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I share that sentiment but as a Brit in the US who is missing his family in the UK. It's almost a year since I saw my mum & dad, and as they don't have the internet there's been nothing other than phone calls between us.

For travel from the UK to the US under the VWP or similar I am not at all sure when that will be possible....

... Even if you can fly to the US there's such a plethora of local restrictions that knowing what's open etc. can be a challenge. Restrictions vary not just on a state by state basis but also within counties or cities.

...Even if you're able to travel and visit the USA you may find that the experience while here is somewhat underwhelming.
Thanks for sharing and yes if you have family abroad and can’t visit it’s taking its toll. My parents are missing grand kids growing up and it could well be 2 years before they meet again. We were fortunate enough to make trips happen at least once a year if not twice.

As for visiting the US, I’d simply be (if required) quarantining at my families house, therefore no need for hotels etc. I’d certainly wouldn’t be interested in doing any of the pre-Covid normalities. My only wish is to spend a few days with them whatever is afforded. I’m fine with testing and quarantining. It is what it is.

As I’ve said and it maybe wishing thinking but let’s hope there’s change come Easter. Hopefully you get to your dads Birthday at least.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:36 am

There seems to be a general view that vaccination programs make no difference.

I understand the scepticism through to the summer, but, countries that have vaccinated their vulnerable not allowing vaccinated people from other countries in throughout 2021 seems to be incredibly pessimistic.

If the argument for not opening up is vaccine escape, and, given that that risk cant be eliminated, then, logically you can never lift the restrictions. So no travel ever again. I think that is unlikely.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, for now at least...
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

I understand the scepticism through to the summer, but, countries that have vaccinated their vulnerable not allowing vaccinated people from other countries in throughout 2021 seems to be incredibly pessimistic.

If the argument for not opening up is vaccine escape, and, given that that risk cant be eliminated, then, logically you can never lift the restrictions. So no travel ever again. I think that is unlikely.
Agreed entirely. If the whole purpose of the vaccine programmes is not for a return to some sort of normality as soon as humanly possible, then what is the point?
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The irony of this being, of course, that said press negativity you are critical of has actually proved to be much more accurate so far than all the Pollyannas on FT sharing their opinion that for economic/moral/whatever other reason this won't last beyond summer. Or September. Maybe November. No, no, it will definitely be over by Christmas...
Good to see that simply expressing an opinion that, God forbid, might be different to yours, qualifies me for direct insults. Trumpism clearly not dead yet
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:17 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Professor Yaffle
Good to see that simply expressing an opinion that, God forbid, might be different to yours, qualifies me for direct insults. Trumpism clearly not dead yet
I wasn't really expecting my post to be interpreted as a 'direct insult' so I apologise if that's the case, but I would suggest that criticism would have landed better had you not felt the need to direct one back at me. Again, there is some irony here in calling me a Trumpist given I'm not the one saying COVID-19 will be over soon and we should all go ahead and make travel plans for 2021 now...
Cap'n Benj likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I wasn't really expecting my post to be interpreted as a 'direct insult' so I apologise if that's the case, but I would suggest that criticism would have landed better had you not felt the need to direct one back at me. Again, there is some irony here in calling me a Trumpist given I'm not the one saying COVID-19 will be over soon and we should all go ahead and make travel plans for 2021 now...
POLLYANNAISH
(adjective)
Belittling and often insulting term for being absurdly optimistic

Sorry, had to look this up as it is far too public school a phrase for me to ever use, but it sounds like an insult to me.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver

I do sometimes think that certain types of a greenish nature are keen to push this narrative for their own purposes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.