Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021 until further notice.
Previous discussion: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

A reduced service has resumed in all cabins, including steel cutlery, glassware and chinaware in premium cabins. Choice may be limited in some cabins and on some routes. Some elements may be delivered covered for safety. All meals apart from First are served on single trays. Portion sizes, particularly in Club World, have been significantly reduced compared to pre-Covid.

On BA CityFlyer full service has resumed, with the exception of hot towels and warmed bread in Club Europe. See dedicated wiki thread for full details.

Details of the current service are available on BA.com

Changes from pre-COVID service:

Euro Traveller
  • Buy-on-board M&S menu replaced with pre-order Tom Kerridge menu
  • Complimentary bottle of water and packaged ambient snack offered to all passengers
Club Europe
  • Band 1 now receives the same service as Express (light breakfast > brunch > lunch > afternoon tea > dinner)
  • Band 2 now receives the same service as Bands 3 and 4 (breakfast > rest of the day)
  • Band 3 should still have a drinks run before serving lunch and dinner
  • No hot towels
  • No menus on Band 3 / Band 4 services
  • Dessert served in ceramic dish rather than plastic pot
  • No starter for Express / Band 1 lunch and dinner services
  • No cheese for Band 3 / Band 4 rest of the day services
  • One fewer sandwich for afternoon tea services
  • One type of (warm) bread roll available, wrapped in sealed plastic, served from a basket
World Traveller
  • No roll/butter served with main meal, cheese and crackers also not provided
  • Inflight snack (previously took the form of a Magnum ice cream) and tuck box suspended - replaced with Walkers shortbread o/r from galley.
World Traveller Plus
  • TBC
Club World
  • No hot towels
  • Meals served on one tray at the same time
  • No choice of starter or dessert
  • Portion sizes have been substantially reduced. Starters, cheese and dessert are all served in mini ramekins
First
  • No hot towels
Print Wikipost

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by CKBA
Covid catering is pretty much pre-covid minus one class (I believe WT+ is the same as WT at the moment).
Classic...I should have figured. Was a relatively last minute re-book. Don't think the girlfriend will be happy I spent the extra $$ on WTP but oh well!
Old Aug 24, 2021, 10:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
YIKES...here's to hoping the offer is better in 2 weeks
Covid catering is pretty much pre-covid minus one class (I believe WT+ is the same as WT at the moment).
Interesting that ba.com is grossly mis-representing the WTP catering: https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...traveller-plus - "World Traveller Plus" "A premium experience"
This includes a photo of the catering - which unless things have changed recently , is misleading to say the least!

(Their get-out clause right at the very bottom states "Some descriptions and images may not represent our current available services as we respond to COVID-19." so - why include them - after 18+ months!)
Originally Posted by pharmflyer
Classic...I should have figured. Was a relatively last minute re-book. Don't think the girlfriend will be happy I spent the extra $$ on WTP but oh well!
On a recent flight to DXB, the crew announced the food options for WTP and WT. The options for prem econ were different to econ, and I also saw crew carrying meal trays in proper china plates resembling the old WTP catering…..
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by kosy91
On a recent flight to DXB, the crew announced the food options for WTP and WT. The options for prem econ were different to econ, and I also saw crew carrying meal trays in proper china plates resembling the old WTP catering…..
I flew WT+ on the BA31 service three days ago (with five other passengers, 40 passengers total) and the service is similar to what it used to be. As there are not many descriptions of WT+ on this thread I will try to give one. The only major difference is that there is no starter, just a side salad, and two choices of main, not three. The whole meal was served on china on a WT+ tray, though no menus were handed out (I don't know if this is because of covid or if they just were not loaded). Cabin crew took orders individually and then brought food out (no trolleys used), and also collected used sections of the trays individually, which was a very nice touch, though this could be due to the light load. Also interestingly, we were served our drinks using Club glassware/china; no paper or plastic cups were used in the cabin, though again this could be because of the light load (they also offered Club bedding to economy flyers who requested it).

The second meal service was terrible, it was half a cold cucumber sandwich and a chocolate bar; truly ridiculous for a 11.5 hour flight.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 12:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by Jojobarnes
I flew WT+ on the BA31 service three days ago (with five other passengers, 40 passengers total) and the service is similar to what it used to be. As there are not many descriptions of WT+ on this thread I will try to give one. The only major difference is that there is no starter, just a side salad, and two choices of main, not three. The whole meal was served on china on a WT+ tray, though no menus were handed out (I don't know if this is because of covid or if they just were not loaded). Cabin crew took orders individually and then brought food out (no trolleys used), and also collected used sections of the trays individually, which was a very nice touch, though this could be due to the light load. Also interestingly, we were served our drinks using Club glassware/china; no paper or plastic cups were used in the cabin, though again this could be because of the light load (they also offered Club bedding to economy flyers who requested it).

The second meal service was terrible, it was half a cold cucumber sandwich and a chocolate bar; truly ridiculous for a 11.5 hour flight.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear there is better service than small portions served in econ. Though the light load may have played a part. A journey of that length really requires two full meal services…. People haven’t lost their appetite completely post COVID as far as Im aware…. 😂
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 2:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Bangers and Mash on LHR-NCE - other options were Aubergine & Rigatoni pasta or a Quinoa salad. Incidentally was the same menu for the Sunday night return as the Thursday night outbound.

While I actually really enjoyed eating bangers and mash washed down with some champagne - really hoping we get some new variety in September!

Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I don't know about recent, recent, but this was the WT+ offering in January 2021 (LHR-IAD) - very much WT non+... .
Did you fly before 20 January? If so, the current catering offer hadn't been started at that point, and WTP was not differentiated from WT.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Genius1
Did you fly before 20 January? If so, the current catering offer hadn't been started at that point, and WTP was not differentiated from WT.
Thanks - I'll look forward to it on my next excursion! ;-)
Old Aug 25, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM, AA PPro, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle, Enterprise Silver
Originally Posted by Jojobarnes

Thanks for the update! I'll report back on my experience!
Old Aug 26, 2021, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
LHR-SFO BA First 19/08/21

Excellent on-board service and enjoyable food and wine. Choose the burrata appraiser, lamb shank main and Eton mess dessert. For the light meal had prosciutto, the burger (from the lunch menu) and mango desert. All washed down with LPGS and a most decent Stint-Emilion Grand Cru. Despite the current limited selection in First was most satisfied with the food and wine on board.

Carfield, Prospero, hedur and 17 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 2021, 9:50 pm

Programs: BA Exec Silver, Aeroplan, Hilton Honors Gold
If doing WTP+ YYZ-LHR (BA 092)is it dinner plus breakfast or is the second 'meal' just a cup of tea and a muffin or something? Can anyone report a recent overnight NA-LHR experience?
Old Aug 27, 2021, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last night’s LHR NCE flight. Both tasty and the dessert was great!

Old Aug 27, 2021, 7:33 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Last night’s LHR NCE flight. Both tasty and the dessert was great!
Glad it was good. Sausage and mash isn’t exactly what I’d want in CE but if it’s tasty then you’re most of the way there.

I can’t get over the tray mats however, despite the herringbone pattern they just look like J cloths! An all-white patterned cloth would have been far better.
NoY, bafan, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couldn’t agree more on the J cloth look
bafan, camdentown and krispy84 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: Some
New pudding as of today - raspberry panna cotta-thingy. Quite nice. On the flip side, it appears a mouse already ate some of my salad. BA2728 (LHR-IBZ) pea and ricotta pasta for reference.

Genius1, MarcD and krispy84 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
New pudding as of today - raspberry panna cotta-thingy. Quite nice. On the flip side, it appears a mouse already ate some of my salad. BA2728 (LHR-IBZ) pea and ricotta pasta for reference.
Pasta looks good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.