Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021 until further notice.
Previous discussion: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

A reduced service has resumed in all cabins, including steel cutlery, glassware and chinaware in premium cabins. Choice may be limited in some cabins and on some routes. Some elements may be delivered covered for safety. All meals apart from First are served on single trays. Portion sizes, particularly in Club World, have been significantly reduced compared to pre-Covid.

On BA CityFlyer full service has resumed, with the exception of hot towels and warmed bread in Club Europe. See dedicated wiki thread for full details.

Details of the current service are available on BA.com

Changes from pre-COVID service:

Euro Traveller
  • Buy-on-board M&S menu replaced with pre-order Tom Kerridge menu
  • Complimentary bottle of water and packaged ambient snack offered to all passengers
Club Europe
  • Band 1 now receives the same service as Express (light breakfast > brunch > lunch > afternoon tea > dinner)
  • Band 2 now receives the same service as Bands 3 and 4 (breakfast > rest of the day)
  • Band 3 should still have a drinks run before serving lunch and dinner
  • No hot towels
  • No menus on Band 3 / Band 4 services
  • Dessert served in ceramic dish rather than plastic pot
  • No starter for Express / Band 1 lunch and dinner services
  • No cheese for Band 3 / Band 4 rest of the day services
  • One fewer sandwich for afternoon tea services
  • One type of (warm) bread roll available, wrapped in sealed plastic, served from a basket
World Traveller
  • No roll/butter served with main meal, cheese and crackers also not provided
  • Inflight snack (previously took the form of a Magnum ice cream) and tuck box suspended - replaced with Walkers shortbread o/r from galley.
World Traveller Plus
  • TBC
Club World
  • No hot towels
  • Meals served on one tray at the same time
  • No choice of starter or dessert
  • Portion sizes have been substantially reduced. Starters, cheese and dessert are all served in mini ramekins
First
  • No hot towels
Print Wikipost

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
In terms of boarding I must admit I am quite enjoying playing the game of trying to time my arrival at the gate in between when everyone else is already on but before they close the gate. I used to be one of the people who was there when boarding commenced. Even when normal boarding restarts I may stick with my “new normal”.

Same for when getting off really, it’s nice not to have the uncivilised brawl as soon as the seat belt sign goes off.

Anyway this is just my pov, I am sure others may have a different view.
I was on an LHR-MAN three and a bit weeks ago and whoever was in 1F arrived right at the last minute, 2 minutes in fact after the dispatcher was overheard informing the crew that they had 3 minutes to turn up before they were being offloaded.

So err, fair tactic as long as you don't leave it THAT close to the bone!
KARFA and 86BA7 like this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by dddc
I have to say that looks rather delicious. Or it could be because I'm hungry at the moment.... How did it taste. Certainly looks filling.

Question re the salad. Was there any more carrot in it apart from the 4 or 5 strands placed on top, seemingly more for decoration than sustenance. Were you able to successfully dress the salad given the tiny bowl or did you adopt a drop of oil per item, eat, uncover the next layer, dress, eat, uncover repeat model?
Originally Posted by CKBA
Indeed - certainly looks better (quality & presentation) than CW US-UK. I presume the main was covered when it was served?
you folks ask good questions! To be fair this was my wife and not me, so I don’t know. She’s Italian and a harsh critic of airline food in general, but she said this was quite decent so make of that what you can. Flight was totally rammed due to the Italian quarantine kicking in tomorrow, 9 rows of business and she said the crew were amazing.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 3:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kdhurst380
I was on an LHR-MAN three and a bit weeks ago and whoever was in 1F arrived right at the last minute, 2 minutes in fact after the dispatcher was overheard informing the crew that they had 3 minutes to turn up before they were being offloaded.

So err, fair tactic as long as you don't leave it THAT close to the bone!
it appears after checking this was me. In my defence I was moving out of the lounge at 20 minutes to go, but bumped in to someone I hadn’t seen for a while and was chatting
Old Jun 21, 2021, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by justin_krusty
Food options were:
- chicken bacon and leek and mushroom pie
- pasta filled with ricotta and pea sauce (see pic)
- roasted pumpkin and fetta and some grain salad
This is an example of a post-pandemic improvement - VCE is Band 2, so previously would have received a choice of two main course salads. Band 2 flights currently receive the Band 3 / 4 choice of two hot main courses or a main course salad. Admittedly this merging of bands is less good for any lovers of brunch or afternoon tea.
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:04 am

Just got off BA268 from LAX to LHR in CW. Food was tasty enough. I had the Butter Chicken and the “Traditional British Breakfast”. There was a reduced crew compliment on the flight so service was a little slower than usual. Still an enjoyable flight though. This was my first BA long haul in CW since the pandemic started
justin_krusty, Genius1 and TTmex like this.
Old Jun 21, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Is it just the lighting or has that sausage had a run-in with a beetroot?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:11 am

Anyone got any info on the JFK-LHR catering at the moment? On the 182 tonight and deciding whether to eat at the TWA Hotel given that the Lounge is still closed.

TIA
yabadoo likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by timc01
Anyone got any info on the JFK-LHR catering at the moment? On the 182 tonight and deciding whether to eat at the TWA Hotel given that the Lounge is still closed.

TIA
Was on it last week. Its a normal COVID era menu - single tray but small app, small desert, small cheese, and a choice of three entrees and then a choice of paninis with fruit and what not for breakfast. I never eat on JFK-LHR flights and this was no exception. I would say, however, that the service was very slow both with drinks and food. Some trays appeared to be delivered far more than an hour after take off which would really cut into sleep (it cut into mine even though I wasn't eating). I did the TWA Hotel and it surpassed expectations given mediocre reviews. I highly recommend it. Also, taking the AirTrain from T5 to T7 requires more time and a lot more walking than just walking outside. From T7, just go out of arrivals and make a left and basically just keep going. There is sidewalk except for about 15 feet (where its blocked due to a little construction) where its easy to step into the road as its a side road that really no one uses. Its pretty hard to get lost as your destination is almost immediately in sight in either direciton. The circuit from the T5 Airtrain station to the hotel takes a LONG time. Note the Paris Cafe was actually quite crowded and while I think they were taking walk ins, I would recommend a reservation.
timc01 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:07 pm

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Originally Posted by Gavin C

Just got off BA268 from LAX to LHR in CW. Food was tasty enough. I had the Butter Chicken and the “Traditional British Breakfast”. There was a reduced crew compliment on the flight so service was a little slower than usual. Still an enjoyable flight though. This was my first BA long haul in CW since the pandemic started
I like the fact that the orange juice is now advertised as a starter sparkling water as a dessert next
Old Jun 22, 2021, 1:51 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ermis177
I like the fact that the orange juice is now advertised as a starter sparkling water as a dessert next
BA's breakfast menus are so uninspiring.
bafan and kdhurst380 like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by PGberkshire
BA's breakfast menus are so uninspiring.
And now really stingy in CE. I cannot get over them taking the bacon away from the cooked breakfast. It's now just some cooked breakfast items on an uninspiring bed of sloppy scrambled egg. Yet, a lot of the rest of day meal options are actually very good.
bafan, volar and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kdhurst380
And now really stingy in CE. I cannot get over them taking the bacon away from the cooked breakfast. It's now just some cooked breakfast items on an uninspiring bed of sloppy scrambled egg. Yet, a lot of the rest of day meal options are actually very good.
honestly the CW portions are pretty stingy. The food served is Y quantity.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by ermis177
Orange juice was a bona fide starter in the UK in the 70's! Even concentrated fruit juice was considered pure luxury as a vestige of wartime rationing. Perhaps BA is very current in referencing retro food trends, or maybe it never moved on from them
bafan, ermis177, TTmex and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by timc01

TIA
Very similar to LAX-LHR above but without the full English brekkie.

Genius1 and crazyarmadillo like this.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by dddc
I have to say that looks rather delicious. Or it could be because I'm hungry at the moment.... How did it taste. Certainly looks filling.

Question re the salad. Was there any more carrot in it apart from the 4 or 5 strands placed on top, seemingly more for decoration than sustenance. Were you able to successfully dress the salad given the tiny bowl or did you adopt a drop of oil per item, eat, uncover the next layer, dress, eat, uncover repeat model?
On my ACE flight the choices were the same, though not well explained - I opted for the pasta assuming something tomatoey, instead this arrived.

Mine had no apparent filling and I found the taste unpleasant, left most of it.

The carrot strands are all you get, the underlying salad leaves loosely packed, no trouble dressing it, there's not much to dress.

The dessert was way too sweet for my taste, I'd much rather they kept the cheese and crackers.

Fortunately I'd nipped into the Pret and got a baguette and crisps to supplement the onboard just in case, also had the full english in the lounge, so I didn't starve

Assuming it'll be the same options for the return, I'll be taking a picnic with me!
LCSinTexas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.