Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Enigma368
Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021 until further notice.
Previous discussion: COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways

A reduced service has resumed in all cabins, including steel cutlery, glassware and chinaware in premium cabins. Choice may be limited in some cabins and on some routes. Some elements may be delivered covered for safety. All meals apart from First are served on single trays. Portion sizes, particularly in Club World, have been significantly reduced compared to pre-Covid.

On BA CityFlyer full service has resumed, with the exception of hot towels and warmed bread in Club Europe. See dedicated wiki thread for full details.

Details of the current service are available on BA.com

Changes from pre-COVID service:

Euro Traveller
  • Buy-on-board M&S menu replaced with pre-order Tom Kerridge menu
  • Complimentary bottle of water and packaged ambient snack offered to all passengers
Club Europe
  • Band 1 now receives the same service as Express (light breakfast > brunch > lunch > afternoon tea > dinner)
  • Band 2 now receives the same service as Bands 3 and 4 (breakfast > rest of the day)
  • Band 3 should still have a drinks run before serving lunch and dinner
  • No hot towels
  • No menus on Band 3 / Band 4 services
  • Dessert served in ceramic dish rather than plastic pot
  • No starter for Express / Band 1 lunch and dinner services
  • No cheese for Band 3 / Band 4 rest of the day services
  • One fewer sandwich for afternoon tea services
  • One type of (warm) bread roll available, wrapped in sealed plastic, served from a basket
World Traveller
  • No roll/butter served with main meal, cheese and crackers also not provided
  • Inflight snack (previously took the form of a Magnum ice cream) and tuck box suspended - replaced with Walkers shortbread o/r from galley.
World Traveller Plus
  • TBC
Club World
  • No hot towels
  • Meals served on one tray at the same time
  • No choice of starter or dessert
  • Portion sizes have been substantially reduced. Starters, cheese and dessert are all served in mini ramekins
First
  • No hot towels
Print Wikipost

Modified COVID-19 catering, effective 20 January 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
Pre-covid, express breakfast rotated between warmed up ham & cheese croissant, and a warmed up bacon roll. The latter was the better of the two by far.
Realistically they’re just expanding this Express offering to all Band 1 routes.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Will breakfasts in CW on overnight EC US and ME routes have a hot option once more or will it remain cold? And will afternoon tea/tapas plates return on daylight flights to these regions?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by BAeuro
So Club Europe won’t be getting menus for now.
I don't see how having FAs repeat the options to every single pax in CE improves safety...even if everyone on board is wearing a mask, they are not hundred precent protective and just reduce the range of the air droplets of saliva and bacteria/viruses. Imagine sitting in an aisle seat, and having the crew standing right beside, explaining the options, and then a minute later, repeat it again for the pax in the window seat...IMHO much more hygienic to hand out menu cards and have pax disinfect hands just prior to eating. The way ANA serves meals in Y (pre-pandemic) would be ideal actually...the FA has a laminated card with the menu and pictures of the meal, and all you have to do is point to either option A or B...
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Can you shed light on the new bands please. I thought SZG was always Band 2 and INN Band 1
Agreed, that's been the case since the September 2018 re-launch of club catering, at least. I'd be interested to know if there have been any changes to the bands though.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by volar
Agreed, that's been the case since the September 2018 re-launch of club catering, at least. I'd be interested to know if there have been any changes to the bands though.

I can’t remember if INN was always Band 1 but it seems a bit mad given that it’s not exactly a quicker flight than SZG but I am sure there is some logic behind it.
What I do remember is that the choice of hot or cold meals always left some passengers upset if we didn’t have a hot meal left coming to the back, equally on some routes the cold lighter option was more popular and you ran out of choice by row 2 or 3. It will be interesting if it will be a choice of 2 hots or 1 cold or will it revert to the 1 hot and 1 cold option?
I can’t see myself flying soon due to restrictions, but I am sure someone will post on here sooner or later what it is.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Flier74
I can’t remember if INN was always Band 1 but it seems a bit mad given that it’s not exactly a quicker flight than SZG but I am sure there is some logic behind it.
Yes, it was band 1 under the pre covid banding Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos

SZG and VIE were band 2. It should, be based on service time of the route.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 6:36 am

Yes, it was band 1 under the pre covid banding Club Europe catering | menus, reviews and photos

SZG and VIE were band 2. It should, be based on service time of the route.
Thanks Karfa for clarifying. From my flying days I remember there was not much difference between SZG and INN in terms of time but I guess the line needs to be drawn somewhere. So it seems Band 2 gets an upgrade from cold meals all day after breakfast.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
My MAN flight today, afternoon tea and extra scones offered. Everything came individually packaged, including the warm scones from the basket.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by navylad
My MAN flight today, afternoon tea and extra scones offered. Everything came individually packaged, including the warm scones from the basket.
Thanks for sharing. Compared to pre-COVID CE afternoon tea, it looks like we've lost one finger sandwich (boo!), and the UHT milk has finally been banished (hurrah!).

Were you offered an alternative to the afternoon tea ie. the ploughman's salad?
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Genius1
Thanks for sharing. Compared to pre-COVID CE afternoon tea, it looks like we've lost one finger sandwich (boo!), and the UHT milk has finally been banished (hurrah!).

Even pre-Covid there was never a choice offered on Express band flights. For a long time it has been take it or leave it.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:54 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by S_W_S
Even pre-Covid there was never a choice offered on Express band flights. For a long time it has been take it or leave it.
have we forgotten everything from pre covid? special meals people
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
have we forgotten everything from pre covid? special meals people
I had, mainly because I've never ordered one!
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Genius1

no alternative was offered. Some was asking for vegetarian option (I didn’t think there was any meat in this but hey), they were offered Scone and Cake negative sandwich.

Have to say Kelly and her team were great, flight time seamed short even for a MAN, and bless them I think their heart skipped a beat when the Captain did the start of our decent announcement and said we should have you on the ground in the next 12 minutes... this was their first Service since the catering returned and given it has changed they did well to get it all out. Still a plus for them is they get a short sector, nice COVID secure hotel in Manchester and get to go back in the morning. Sorry to go slightly off topic slightly but there was also a rather late flare which the Captain did apologies for the ‘firm landing’ but he was grateful it was ‘one we’re walk-in away from’. Also annoying that MAN are busing people from the aircraft at a stand at T1, to exit through T3, which is effectively closed including pick up/drop off so everyone has to talk back landslide you T1.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Sorry to go slightly off topic slightly but there was also a rather late flare which the Captain did apologies for the ‘firm landing’ but he was grateful it was ‘one we’re walk-in away from’. Also annoying that MAN are busing people from the aircraft at a stand at T1, to exit through T3, which is effectively closed including pick up/drop off so everyone has to talk back landslide you T1.
If you landed on 23R, it is notorious for it. The runway gradient falls quite steeply just after the aiming point markers, so it's either a firm touch down before that happens or you're likely to 'float', probably still landing firm but you also end up missing the rapid exit taxiway adjacent to the viewing park unless you brake VERY hard.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:56 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
no alternative was offered. Some was asking for vegetarian option (I didn’t think there was any meat in this but hey), they were offered Scone and Cake negative sandwich.

Have to say Kelly and her team were great, flight time seamed short even for a MAN, and bless them I think their heart skipped a beat when the Captain did the start of our decent announcement and said we should have you on the ground in the next 12 minutes... this was their first Service since the catering returned and given it has changed they did well to get it all out. Still a plus for them is they get a short sector, nice COVID secure hotel in Manchester and get to go back in the morning. Sorry to go slightly off topic slightly but there was also a rather late flare which the Captain did apologies for the ‘firm landing’ but he was grateful it was ‘one we’re walk-in away from’. Also annoying that MAN are busing people from the aircraft at a stand at T1, to exit through T3, which is effectively closed including pick up/drop off so everyone has to talk back landslide you T1.
I am dying to know, were you told to “enjoy your menu”?
kosy91 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.