Old Jan 24, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I still don't understand why it takes up to 12* days for Avios to transfer to Nectar. Bank transfers are almost instant these days!

* in practice it's about 5 working days... but even that seems inordinately long given technology**.

** I think I've answered my own question there.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
It is delayed, on purpose, for security reasons.

It was instant when launched. Then people whose BAEC details were breached in the data leak found 50,000 points transferred instantly to a burner Nectar card.
Old May 8, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Raffles
Sure, but since the transaction requires a 2FA security check to complete, I don’t see how the delay would help. I could understand it if it’s to allow people time to spot irregular transactions but you literally have to log in and verify your details.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 8, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
I always assumed it was a balancing exercise by the accountants.

Avios to Nectar being predominantly (and presumably) large amounts occasionally and Nectar to Avios being largely lots of small transactions.

By having this delay, incoming Nectar transfers over the week would covered the out going transfers, leaving IAG loyalty not liable financially to Nectar.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:48 am

Not sure if it is a global offer or account specific but there is a new offer that has popped up on my nectar account today Partner offer details - Nectar

For anyone wanting to try and get some more points. Note that the 30 days start as soon as you have either manually or auto-exchanged a total of 1600 points from yesterday to the end of June.
yellow_peril and lcylocal like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Akoz
I always assumed it was a balancing exercise by the accountants.

Avios to Nectar being predominantly (and presumably) large amounts occasionally and Nectar to Avios being largely lots of small transactions.

By having this delay, incoming Nectar transfers over the week would covered the out going transfers, leaving IAG loyalty not liable financially to Nectar.
No. It was a fraud bonanza. Remember that there are huge numbers of compromised BAEC accounts out there. There was even a big Sunday Times piece on it last Spring.

You get into someone's BA account, link it to a fresh Nectar card you just set up online, transfer 50,000 Avios to it (which was instant) and you've then got £400 to spend at Sainsbury's, eBay etc.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:54 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
No. It was a fraud bonanza. Remember that there are huge numbers of compromised BAEC accounts out there. There was even a big Sunday Times piece on it last Spring.

You get into someone's BA account, link it to a fresh Nectar card you just set up online, transfer 50,000 Avios to it (which was instant) and you've then got £400 to spend at Sainsbury's, eBay etc.
I guess locking lots of people out of their Nectar accounts with the 7135JSO error is one way of reducing fraud !
Old May 19, 2022, 11:43 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by roked
Not sure if it is a global offer or account specific but there is a new offer that has popped up on my nectar account today Partner offer details - Nectar

For anyone wanting to try and get some more points. Note that the 30 days start as soon as you have either manually or auto-exchanged a total of 1600 points from yesterday to the end of June.
I'd suggest it's a global offer... come the end of this month, many who set up auto conversion in Feb to qualify for the prize draw, would no doubt, like me, be planning on turning off the auto conversion
yellow_peril likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
I guess locking lots of people out of their Nectar accounts with the 7135JSO error is one way of reducing fraud !
Glad it's not just me. Apparently, I need to stop using a VPN, which I only use when out of the country. Perhaps Sainsbury's have recruited IT techs from BA?
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Glad it's not just me. Apparently, I need to stop using a VPN, which I only use when out of the country. Perhaps Sainsbury's have recruited IT techs from BA?
It’s far more widespread than Nectar/Sainsbury’s would like you to believe.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:22 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by chrism20
It’s far more widespread than Nectar/Sainsbury’s would like you to believe.
When Nectar eventually clear the lock - does it stop it being activated by a VPN (or whatever) in future ?

Or am I waiting 28 days for a one off clearance - which will be triggered again by an inactive VPN (or whatever) ?!
Old May 20, 2022, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers
When Nectar eventually clear the lock - does it stop it being activated by a VPN (or whatever) in future ?

Or am I waiting 28 days for a one off clearance - which will be triggered again by an inactive VPN (or whatever) ?!
No idea tbh. My 28 days was up yesterday and I got some garbish message telling me to be patient.
Old May 22, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
Deleted
Old May 22, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
Originally Posted by Shingi
Deleted
penny finally dropped then 😂
Shingi likes this.
Old May 23, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, VS Red, IHG Platinum
Has anyone else had their pet insurance bonus points post very quickly? I had 7k drop into my account from Sainsburys Bank yesterday but only started thw policy at the beginning of May.
I can't think of any other 7k bonuses I'm waiting for, anyone in the same boat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.