FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Just totting up this years haul of nectar and I’ve earned 42,750 avios from a standing start since the tie up began. I do all the food shopping at Sainsbury’s and have their house insurance.
Quite pleased with that haul and getting much better value per nectar point by converting to BA than earning/burning in the supermarket as I did previously.
Likewise for me, I have 54,150 points since the tie up began. I changed from Tesco to Sainsburys purely because of Avios. My problem is that with Tesco I was on the grandfather rate of 800 Avios per £2.50 and now I get 400 for every £2.50 and I just can’t bring myself to convert at the moment as they are now only worth half of what they used to be. I’ll get over it one day!
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold) , Accor (Gold) , IHG
I started the year on 869 points
Since the new partnership I have collected over 45,100 points of which have converted 3,600 to Avios (due to initial promotions)
Biggest hitters were the sign up bonuses for their CC (10,000) and Energy ( 8,000) as well over 14k on in-app bonuses/promotions on an in store spend of about £4k.
The double points on shopping due to having both CC and Energy added over 6k more
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:29 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I looked at your accumulations and started totting up. I converted 30,400 to Avios. I do not sign up to credit cards that I do not really use, but the bank deal with Sainsburys was useful. That’s 19,000 Avios that I would not have received. That’s with me no living in the UK.
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've done reasonably well, although not to the same extent as some others.
I tend to mainly buy select products that I get decent point offers on. I won't bite if iit's say 10 points for Avocados compared to 90 the week before.

Petrol usually comes from Sainsbury, and I've had a few double points coupons, so that could be 130 points for a fill up.

Ebay, Transpennine Express, pet insurance, car and travel insurance have added a bit. Xmas bonuses added a few 1000 as well.
Easy 1000 points / 625 Avios for a £5 spend on eBay this week in my app.

Points for my shopping have been dropping a bit. Nearly 1000 on a few items this week (2 I might not buy, and 1 they didn't have on the shelf). 60 points max the previous 2 weeks that I ignored.
Used to be a good 500-700 points, on average, for a £10-£15 spend before that.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 4:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I’ve managed to earn over 50k Nectar points this year. Shopping, a credit card and an energy switch (and how pleased am I to be on a two year fixed?!) gave me that total. Overall I’m happy with the Nectar tie up compared to Tesco.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:07 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
85k Nectar points in the last 12 months. My main shop has remained with Tesco, but my top ups such as fruit and fresh veg is with Sainsbury’s.

Given this I regularly get 700-900 bonus points a week via the Nectar app as there is only a limited number of products they offer me bonuses on, based on spending habits. Rest comes from Viking, Ebay and Esso. The quarterly bonus multiplier promotion the Esso app is runs for filling from the app is quite lucrative too.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:39 am

94,000 Nectar points this year, however it's worth pointing out that I work for the orange lot so the staff discount has determined my spend a bit more than the points on a lot of occasions.

I did also buy a lot of toys and electronics on behalf of family members in the run up to Christmas as it was cheaper for me to buy them due to the above.

Although not Nectar another retailer I have picked up a fair few Avios from this year due to their new hook up is BP. The nearest shop to home is a BP with an M&S so I visit it quite regularly. They have also targeted me for some decent extra points offers recently so I think I've gathered about 15,000 Avios via that route as well.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I think eBay offering 50 points per £1 on Black Friday contributed to some of these totals :-)
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
definite drop in Sainsbury's offers

Just adding my pennyworth to the comments by others earlier, the special bonus offers from Sainsbury's for nectar points has really dried up now. Since December the big ones (50-200 points) have disappeared and now I only get a small number of 10-20 point bonus offers each Monday. I'm not begrudging the ones I earned earlier though! Several thousand Avios in total as a result .

Last edited by camdentown; Jan 17, 2022 at 10:24 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by camdentown
Just adding my pennyworth to the comments by others earlier, the special bonus offers from Sainsbury's for nectar points has really dried up now. Since December the big ones (5-200 points) have disappeared and now I only get a small number of 10-20 point bonus offers each Monday. I'm not begrudging the ones I earned earlier though! Several thousand Avios in total as a result .
That happened to me in the middle of last year. After two weeks of not shopping in sainsburys due to being abroad the larger offers came flooding back and have remained ever since.

Perhaps it’s a coincidence, but it’s a possibility that they upped their offers to try and tempt me back.
camdentown likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I'm at 60-80 points on around 6 offers a week at present. Every 4th week, a decent amount.
Not going to shop to save 30p on my shopping.....

I get more now by buying a random non-bonus point item and getting the scratchcard thing
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by camdentown
Just adding my pennyworth to the comments by others earlier, the special bonus offers from Sainsbury's for nectar points has really dried up now. Since December the big ones (5-200 points) have disappeared and now I only get a small number of 10-20 point bonus offers each Monday. I'm not begrudging the ones I earned earlier though! Several thousand Avios in total as a result .
Absolute opposite for me. After being a loyal shopper since the Avios opportunity began, the number of points goes up month on month. 20 items yielded 2000 points last week plus the purchase cost and double base points for the branded card. This week, another 20 items will yield 1,880 points. 39 of the 40 items over the two weeks I would purchase anyway.

I need to add to my signature, "Number 1 buyer of San Pellegrino Limonata in my hometown". Thanks Sainsbury's although if you had stocked them more regularly, it would have been more!
lhrpete and camdentown like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I find if point offers decline the best thing to do is skip Sainsburys for a couple of weeks and the come rolling back with several items for 200 points and many more for over 100. Last week I collected over 2000 points but as soon as it drops away, I'll drop them again though at the moment I'm about 2000 short for a ticket I want. I don't know whether it makes any difference but I don't transfer the points out until I have the right number for the ticket I want so I have a huge Nectar balance at the moment.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:18 pm

Point offers have dried up for me recently too.

next week I will be click and collecting my sainsburys shop as the extra 5 avios for every £1 adds up quickly for those weekly £60 shops
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:33 pm

They’re definitely trying to wean me off offers. After regularly seeing 24 decent offers a week last year (and averaging 20 pts per £ spent) they now consistently alternate me… one good week, one bad week. So I just don’t go in the bad weeks. They can try to wean me off, but I’ll be one step ahead of them Thankfully I also have Waitrose and Lidl within walking distance so it’s easy enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.