Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 5:48 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Can I be one that does not like this?

Two main problems.

I save Avios, but I do not save Nectar points. Each year we add up our Nectar points, and give them to charity.
I might be persuaded to keep them! That would be a shame.

Secondly, the quite nice Sainsburys in Beaconsfield has a manager of the wine area who obviously failed in Geography. So if you are looking for Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, it is as likely to be amongst Italian reds in the section marked Chile, as it is in the Aus/NZ area.

And, of course, a decent white Burgundy will be in the section for German wines, when it isn't in the beer area. The person that does this in Tesco in Gerrards Cross has a much better idea, with 99.9% accuracy.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not often I get compared to the wife of Yanis Varoufakis, a remarkable tune that starts off at 88 beats per minute and ends up at 162 bpm.. But it's here:
And one of the few songs where the cover version is a good as the original IMO! Even if it *is* by William Shatner
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hmm....unlikely we will change our main supermarket shopping habits as Sainsburys is inconvenient for us, but may have to think about Esso and buying the odd bonus item when WFH finally ends.

In the meantime, I look forward to converting 400 of my 563 nectar points it’s taken many years to accumulate, not that I need any Avios at present given all the ones I’ve had back in the last year!
Old Jan 22, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Is there such a thing as a Nectar sign up bonus if you don't have an account already? Looked aroud but couldn't see anything.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:48 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
I save Avios, but I do not save Nectar points. Each year we add up our Nectar points, and give them to charity.
I might be persuaded to keep them! That would be a shame.
So give the equivalent cash amount to charity. You are effectively buying avios at 0.8p.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Furton
Is there such a thing as a Nectar sign up bonus if you don't have an account already? Looked aroud but couldn't see anything.
No.

There is a decent bonus for signing-up to the AMEX Nectar card, and for switching to Sainsbury Energy though.
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: Mucci; BAEC GGL; (In memoriam: KLM Flying Dutchman Royal Wing & FB Platinum Elite)
have a look at the Sainsbury Bank Nectar Mastercard, you get 10000 nectar points (625 avios?) if you spend £400 in two months- not brilliant but better than nothing. Like the Tesco Mastercard it could be useful for those places that don't take Amex, and it should work with Curve for non UK purchases.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not often I get compared to the wife of Yanis Varoufakis, a remarkable tune that starts off at 88 beats per minute and ends up at 162 bpm.. But it's here:

Sad News re corporate-wage-slave [He's flying economy for the first time very soon!]
Is that the thread where one FT BAEC ambassador called another FT BAEC ambassador an international gigolo?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Secondly, the quite nice Sainsburys in Beaconsfield has a manager of the wine area who obviously failed in Geography. So if you are looking for Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, it is as likely to be amongst Italian reds in the section marked Chile, as it is in the Aus/NZ area.

And, of course, a decent white Burgundy will be in the section for German wines, when it isn't in the beer area. The person that does this in Tesco in Gerrards Cross has a much better idea, with 99.9% accuracy.
Have you tried reporting it, either to HQ or the local store manager? I know ideally you shouldn’t have to, but in a world that’s not ideal sometimes we can help to fix it in our own small ways. I do find supermarkets are generally responsive to such feedback.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Sainsburys Bank offering 16,000 Nectar points for taking out life insurance at £8.50 per month. Points awarded after 5 months have elapsed.

16,000 Nectar = 10,000 Avios for £42.50
£0.45p each
ratechaser and PGberkshire like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 4:55 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by seattle29
Sainsburys Bank offering 16,000 Nectar points for taking out life insurance at £8.50 per month. Points awarded after 5 months have elapsed.

16,000 Nectar = 10,000 Avios for £42.50
£0.45p each
or 10,000 Nectar (6,250 Avios) for a £5 policy - exactly 0.4p each

But why stop there - if you had a Natwest premier reward account, you could set up 2 £5 policies (although not sure if you'd need to find someone else to insure as well), and you'd get another 1170 Avios a month for the £2 account fee.

That's 18,350 Avios for a total £60 outlay over 5 months, or slightly less than 0.33p each.

Can anyone improve on that?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
This partnership will also make it easier for those infrequent fliers who want to keep their Exec card/avios from expiring by transfering a few (widely available) Nectar points to their account.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:07 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
This partnership will also make it easier for those infrequent fliers who want to keep their Exec card/avios from expiring by transfering a few (widely available) Nectar points to their account.
yes but will definitely reduce avios availability On flights. Remember many on this forum used to mock the Tesco club card pax we’ll they will return as the nectar invaders!
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:08 am

Bonus Nectar points are very easily earned for regular shoppers at Sainsbury's (unless the policy changes), especially when using the Nectar app. My small shop yesterday cost £14.46. I earned 14 regular points and 580 (yes 580, not a typo) bonus points from buying items I purchase regularly. So my exchange rate on Avios will far exceed that with Tesco.

You can also earn Nectar on all Ebay purchases and they often feature multiple points events.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Be careful with the life insurance angle, as better options probably exist. For example L&G offer a £100 gift amazon or M&S voucher after 6 months I think (on a quick scan, I didn't check the offer was current) and there will be other cashback options which may or may not be better depending on intentions. The Sainsbury's bank offer uses the L&G product, as someone with a few pre-existing conditions I was quoted £8.75 a month for a year for about £14K of cover. Quite a lot of questions about Covid upfront too.

If you might stick long term with life insurance, it's a commodity and you should look at long term cost rather than front-end incentives. L&G is usually at or near the top of the best buy tables, but DYOR.
ratechaser likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.