FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Confus
I couldn’t disagree more. My typical earn rate as a regular shopper is 15-40 points per £ spent across the last 12 months or so, plus whatever I earn on the underlying credit card used to pay.
A regular shop probably is fairly poor value.

If you get 9 items with 600 bonus points, buy just them, and they cost £15 to buy, then you're getting a minimum of 40 points / £.

Spend £100 on a shop and you'll only be getting a minimum of 85 points for the extra £85 spent.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:21 am

Sainsbury's obviously have spotted lockdown is ending. I have just got an 8 pence per liter off coupon and a double nectar points on fuel coupon.
I normally buy my petrol at Tesco because its cheaper, but not this time.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC | qantas | IHG | Hilton Honors | Priority Pass | Nandos
Originally Posted by Akoz
Yes, if you visit Sainsbury's and don't use an App based bonuses, then when you open up the app after the store transaction and it pops up automatically with a message asking if you would like to play the bonus game now. (I usually rub the screen while pushing the trolley back to the car, it is available almost instantly after the transaction).
It doesn't happen for everyone - I tried it last night and no pop up message!
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by rapidex
Sainsbury's obviously have spotted lockdown is ending. I have just got an 8 pence per liter off coupon and a double nectar points on fuel coupon.
I normally buy my petrol at Tesco because its cheaper, but not this time.
I had 3 coupons for petrol early last month. Nothing since they baited me with them
That said, there have been, at least locally for me, 8 price increases in petrol since last month.

Will be filling up again somewhere within the next few days, so if they offer me anything, they'll get the business. Else I'll just go where is convenient at the time.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by peter h
It doesn't happen for everyone - I tried it last night and no pop up message!
That's disappointing.

It always does for me if there are no other additional bonus points. - It maybe worth checking the settings in the Nectar App that you have Swipe and Win game enabled as it is possible to turn this off.
peter h likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Akoz
That's disappointing.

It always does for me if there are no other additional bonus points. - It maybe worth checking the settings in the Nectar App that you have Swipe and Win game enabled as it is possible to turn this off.
Good call! The 'swipe and win' setting WAS off. I can't remember seeing it before, so I guess it was off by default. Turned it on and the notification popped up!
Akoz likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 11:58 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by HeyUpDuck
Sainsbury's is incredibly poor value for a regular shop.
I disagree with you 100%. I am so pleased that BA has gone to Sainsbury's that the unspeakable Tesco. It may suit others but it never suited me.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Hear hear PUCCI GALORE
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
I couldn’t disagree more. My typical earn rate as a regular shopper is 15-40 points per £ spent across the last 12 months or so, plus whatever I earn on the underlying credit card used to pay.
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I disagree with you 100%. I am so pleased that BA has gone to Sainsbury's that the unspeakable Tesco. It may suit others but it never suited me.
Please could you both help me understand where you get the value you from. I did a typical shop today of £40. I earnt 40 base plus 10 bonus, 50 points total or 1.25 points per £. This is dreadful as each point is worth 0.5p, it's not worth it, especially as I'm nowhere near Confus' 15-40 points per £. If I were averaging 15 per £, I wouldn't have an issue.

I will agree that Tesco is awful but Sainsbury's is no better either. Then again, I'm actually a Waitrose/M&S shopper with occasional F&M/Harrods Food Hall visit if I'm nearby. The £5 off £40 spend is much more valuable in real terms than trying to game Nectar to get some actual value for Avios.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:40 pm

Please could you both help me understand where you get the value you from. I did a typical shop today of £40. I earnt 40 base plus 10 bonus, 50 points total or 1.25 points per £. This is dreadful as each point is worth 0.5p, it's not worth it, especially as I'm nowhere near Confus' 15-40 points per £. If I were averaging 15 per £, I wouldn't have an issue.

I will agree that Tesco is awful but Sainsbury's is no better either. Then again, I'm actually a Waitrose/M&S shopper with occasional F&M/Harrods Food Hall visit if I'm nearby. The £5 off £40 spend is much more valuable in real terms than trying to game Nectar to get some actual value for Avios.
If you have the Nectar app, after a few shops, Sainsbury start getting a rough idea of what you buy and may offer bonus points, once a week (although occasionally over 2-3 days) on (generally) own brand products.

Assuming you get 5 offers with bonus points when you buy:

Jumbo sausage roll 100 points £1
Apples x 6 10 points £2
Milk 4 pints 50 points £1
Large Eggs x 6 60 points £1.60
Raspberries 150g 50 points £2

That's a total spend of £7.60 for 270 bonus points or 35.5 points / £

On top of that, there's the 1 point per £ spent, any credit card spends, bonuses (2x, 3x and so on) from banking products etc. that get added at the end of the month?
Maybe till spits that give bonus points or triple points on shopping / petrol.
Reduced items. Say the sausage roll having tomorrow's date on it, so they reduce it to 69p from £1.

The bonus offers may be 10-20 points so barely worth it, or they may be up to 200 points on things like lamb chops.
If you're just spending and not using the bonus offers, then £100 will be 100 points minimum.

Last edited by xenole; Mar 24, 2021 at 12:57 pm
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Then again, I'm actually a Waitrose/M&S shopper with occasional F&M/Harrods Food Hall visit if I'm nearby. The £5 off £40 spend is much more valuable in real terms than trying to game Nectar to get some actual value for Avios.
This is exactly it. This new Avios partnership is really for those who want to play Nectar as a game. (Or, given the detail in xenole's post, it sounds more like it's for those who want to be played as a game by Nectar.) Otherwise, it's just not very rewarding.
HeyUpDuck likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Finally got some 60 point offers this week after 2 or 3 weeks with only 10 points. Some real bargains too, 60 points for a tin of chopped tomatoes costing 40 pence.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:03 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Honey - it simply depends what you buy. For basics milk, butter, bread, ham etc I honestly cannot see the difference. My tea I have to buy at the Co-op or sometimes Morrisons as I discovered Punjana tea bags about 10 years ago and they were so good that I gave up buying loose leaf tea. I have not set foot in Harrods for a decade at least I would think - and I too go to Waitrose for things that I cannot buy elsewhere and the same with Marks - but if I head off to go shopping in the UK then it is Sainsbury's. Maybe I watch the pennies a bit less than you do but then you see I also shop at Lidl.

Still here in France this is not an issue.
HeyUpDuck likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
This is exactly it. This new Avios partnership is really for those who want to play Nectar as a game. (Or, given the detail in xenole's post, it sounds more like it's for those who want to be played as a game by Nectar.) Otherwise, it's just not very rewarding.
As long as they keep giving me the number of bonus nectar points and money off coupons they can game me all they want. My avios total will be very handy when travel restarts.
Aledin likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't every loyalty scheme a game between the two players though? And I'm including BAEC/Avios in that statement

I'm fortunate to live within easy reach of decently sized Tesco/Sainsburys/Morrisons/Waitrose/Asda/Aldi stores so I can shop around and cherry pick where to buy food commodities based on price. I do have definite preferences for fresh food though - like meat/fish/fruit/veg. These tend to drive my 'big' shops.

So, if the Sainsburys app offers me 100 points to buy any pot of jam/honey/preserve will I go there? Well probably yes, because my favourite brand isn't going to be much cheaper in one of the other places. 10 points to buy some bananas (a current offer), probably not. The offers aren't going to drastically change my shopping habits dramatically, but if I can buy something with a Sainsburys bonus that I was already going to buy then, why not?

It will be interesting to see how the Sainsburys offers change as the Nectar/Avios relationship matures.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.