FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:05 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Diamond + Accor Plat, Scandic Top Level
Originally Posted by Markie
So my 2,067,753 Avios are worth £16,500 in Sainsbury's now! Wow!
Use that as a double sell point on EBay...
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by bakera
So - if I get this right, the 90,200 Avios that I received in leui of a cash refund of £755.16 from a recently cancelled flight would now be worth £721.60 at Sainsbury's
Or - the 41,250 nectar points that I've not been able to use beacuse we choose not to shop at Sainsbury's are now worth 66,000 Avios

I know which way I'll be exchanging.
Dont forget to factor in PCR testing home and away..
Maybe Nectar will open a scheme to use points..
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by TravelNew
Btw there’s shopperpoints.co.uk which is part of the HfP family, might be worth keeping your eye on this website.

It stopped updating last year...perhaps worth Raffles clicking the mouse again..
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by TravelNew
Btw there’s shopperpoints.co.uk which is part of the HfP family, might be worth keeping your eye on this website.
Rob has already said, anything relating to Nectar will be posted on main site as it now directly links to Avios and it's value basically so i wouldn't worry too much about shopper points
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Don’t forget that you can collect Nectar points on fuel. I regularly get a triple fuel points voucher from the shopping to spend on fuel
Old Jan 21, 2021, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ard9719
Rob has already said, anything relating to Nectar will be posted on main site as it now directly links to Avios and it's value basically so i wouldn't worry too much about shopper points
We basically set up shopperpoints so we could put all the Tesco Direct offers on there and keep HFP travel focused. With the demise of Tesco Direct (and Wine etc) it lost its raisin d’etre. It never made more than 5% of the revenue of HFP.

My feeling is that we will see big bonus offers for Sainsbury’s Bank, Energy etc but more one per month rather than one per day in the Tesco Direct days. HFP can handle that.

That said, if I found the right person to run shopperpoints I would revive it - it only needs a couple of credit card sales per week to justify a decent part time income for someone.
tbm13, MM00LL2 and marconess like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by NXflyer
Have I worked this out right... as it seems too good to be true if it is.

My regular route, EU-LAX in WT+ as a gold, gets somewhere in the region of 25'000 avios give or take... that would now be equivalent to £200 of psuedo-cash in Sainsburys spend?!

If so, that would be one hell of baseline value!
Even the very cheapest WT return will earn you (as a gold) 13,610 avios. That would be equivalent of £108 to spend in Sainsburys or Argos when you get home.

Such flights are currently advertised starting at £302. That's over 35% of the price you paid coming straight back to you.
jonkx likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by willmatt
Even the very cheapest WT return will earn you (as a gold) 13,610 avios. That would be equivalent of £108 to spend in Sainsburys or Argos when you get home.
Huh? There are Golds who fly in WT?

bakera, origin and MiraculousM like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser

Been there, done that, good for the free exit seat selection!
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum.
Originally Posted by Globaliser

Well with that £108 rebate, the cost of an airport or online upgrade has just been halved so you're right it looks like WT+ sorted for the way out. Now just have to work on what to do for the way back....
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:23 pm

The deal is not aimed at those who get loads of Avios from flying. Frequent flyer programmes have long since ceased to be much to do with flying.

On the upside, there will be many opportunities over the next year until the keen young marketing professionals are reined in by those who look after the cash. I remember a bizarre Tesco promotion where you got points by registering purchases on your mobile phone. Someone clocked off on Friday thinking their career had been made to discover, first thing on Monday, that enough Clubcard points had been given away to equal the GDP of a medium sized country.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
There are GGLs who travel in WT. If the price is right.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
There are GGLs who travel in WT. If the price is right.
Any advance on that?

Prems? Royals? Deities? CWS?
Markie likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Shuttle
Yes, indeed. Thanks all the covid restrictions, I haven't managed to get back home to the UK for over a year now. After seeing your post, I just tried to log in to my nectar account and I can't as the account doesn't exist. That is £130 worth of points gone. Not very happy at all.
Ditto. Last shop was 4 January, left the UK (expecting to be back in June) on 5 January. Only lost £25 but still annoying.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by ratechaser
Any advance on that?

Prems? Royals? Deities? CWS?
CWS did a fantastic review of a 787 in economy (albeit he got the best seat in economy to do it from).

There are also some GGLs who get status on their own dime but have to fly lower cabins for their corporate policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.