FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

BA announces Avios partnership with Nectar

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, BA AMEX PP, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by ratechaser
I notice that Sainsbury have announced they're going to start price matching with Aldi (similar to what Tesco does) - that's going to eat into margins and my suspicion is that some of these very generous bonus nectar point offers could become a soft target to cut back on...
Not really, these price match things are marketing smoke & mirrors. They will PM on a limited number of items for a limited time trying to give you the impression they are matching the discounters long after they actually are.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:51 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The Geek
Not really, these price match things are marketing smoke & mirrors. They will PM on a limited number of items for a limited time trying to give you the impression they are matching the discounters long after they actually are.
Most likely branded products, which Aldi don't sell that many of.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I've never really got on with Sainsbury's. Mid-market mediocrity without the quality of Waitrose & M&S or the cheap 'n cheerful pricing of Tesco & (particularly) Asda.

FWIW the latest league table of supermarket pricing (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Sainsbury’s, Asda: which is the cheapest UK supermarket? (lovemoney.com) is :
Asda £48.71
Tesco £53.30
Sainsbury’s £56.38
Waitrose £68.69

So all the value calculations proposed upthread should be viewed in the light that you're paying, on average, about 6% more for the same stuff at Sainsburys than Tesco.
These comparisons vary all the time, I had a debate with a friend about this last year and in the one I found, Sainsburys came out cheapest of the four. It fluctuates like mad and obviously depends on what you buy and when there are offers on etc.

Which was the cheapest supermarket in Nov 2020? – Which? News This one from November for example has the margin between Tesco and Sainsburys as 3.5%

Ultimate price guide to 42 popular items at Asda, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and Tesco (thesun.co.uk) This one has Sainsburys cheapest of the lot in 2019 (is from the Sun mind you!).
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:29 am

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
My greatest Nectar offers so far, with 1370 points available on this weeks bonus offers.

Some three figure bonus points on a few ready meals I bought last week. 100 for a prepackaged sandwich, which I’d get in a meal deal, is decent.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by CirrusDesAigles
These comparisons vary all the time.
They do, for a while Tesco was more expensive than Waitrose and Sainsbury's was cheapest of the traditional supermarkets. The more I think about it, the more I'm less inclined to visit Sainsbury's in London for Avios earnings. It's further away (time + travel cost), the deals vary (to the extent that Waitrose is sometimes cheaper) and I'm still unconvinced that Sainsbury's is worth it from a quality perspective (also the one I'm currently going to has plastic everywhere!!).

I wonder how many people quit Tesco to move to Sainsbury's or how many people from the non-points world actually care about the new Nectar partner? I think it'll be an interesting study as to the impact on people's shopping habits.
jonkx likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by BlueThroughCrimp
My greatest Nectar offers so far, with 1370 points available on this weeks bonus offers.

Some three figure bonus points on a few ready meals I bought last week. 100 for a prepackaged sandwich, which I’d get in a meal deal, is decent.
Mine are all awful, I assume because I don't shop there much and it doesn't really know what to offer me that I'd like.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
My wife just got an offer of 160 bonus Nectar points for any birthday cake - totally random as her birthday is months away (evidenced by the date of birth when you sign up for Nectar!)
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Dover2Golf
My goodness, all this discussion about the merits of Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Doesn't everyone here shop at Waitrose?
Only when I have Amex plat credits.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:24 pm

Sainsbury’s lost me the day I saw them take mince meat out of a pack and placed it in butchers counter...

Thank god Ocado/Waitrose local exist.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by dodgeflyer
Sainsbury’s lost me the day I saw them take mince meat out of a pack and placed it in butchers counter...
LOL they all do that! In fact Morrison’s is the only one that doesn’t... they actually do it the other way round, hire actual butchers and package some of their meat counter stock in-store to put on the shelves for those who don’t want to talk to them.

Anyway, you’ll be pleased to know that Sainsbury’s has now permanently closed all of their deli counters, so you can venture back inside safely.
Shingi and Dover2Golf like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:19 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dodgeflyer

Thank god Ocado/Waitrose local exist.
You know the meat that is on the butchers counter at Waitrose is the same range as the stuff in packets. its simply in a different format so you can get custom portions.

If you want good meat, go to a good butcher.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
No till spits for me today, although possibly because my new offers don't appear until tomorrow.

Used a 300 point coupon on a £10 spend from last week for an item I bought from Tu.
Bought the last 3 items I needed on my list, so £5ish for 210 bonus points.
Bought something from eBay this morning with the 6x bonus points on the app, so a little over 1700 more for that.
Filling up with petrol tomorrow, so will use my last 400 bonus point coupon there.

Will still do my main shop at Tesco though. Got a few 25point coupons and 2 X double point ones. Might buy a load of Tesco gift cards to use them.

May look at the value of 8000 points for pet insurance.
Supposed to get the points after 60 days, so 2-3 payments before you get them, and Kitty gets potentially run over
Old Feb 11, 2021, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I was wondering about getting an imaginary rabbit and insuring it. But what to call it?

(There is of course only one answer)
Waggy and Tocsin like this.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by xenole
Will still do my main shop at Tesco though. Got a few 25point coupons and 2 X double point ones. Might buy a load of Tesco gift cards to use them.
No points are awarded for gift card purchases.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
I was wondering about getting an imaginary rabbit and insuring it. But what to call it?

(There is of course only one answer)
That made me laugh since a long time ago (over 15 years!) I once insured an imaginary animal for Tesco's Pet insurance for the whopping clubcard bonus that was on offer - cancelling once the bonus had been received. That tale is legendary amongst my family along with all the various small electrical items I bought for the same reason and then sold on ebay sometimes even for a profit!! - i had plenty of time on my hands at that age!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.