Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Hotel Quarantine - Does BA Survive?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:32 am

I would never vacation in this country - the money will stay in my savings account until this is over. Grumpy customer service, sh!t weather and populations that generally look put out to have people visiting. Big no from me.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by The Ginge
With at least 35,000 new cases a day at the moment this seems pointless until cases are down well below 1000 a day, if not down to 100 or so. They really just need to properly enforce quarantine as it is now, as I don't think it really is that much.

Holidaying in the UK is actually not too bad, if you can cope with the erratic weather, I went to Scotland a couple of years ago round the highlands and Skye, we want to go back, it is so nice, but living near London, it is a long way! That said we have plenty of friends scattered round Europe so would like to get there again soon too. I have resigned myself to not going longhaul for a while but there is slim hope of Europe like last year, managed two trips to Italy last Summer.
Fully support the idea of UK holidays. I spent much of my childhood holidaying in North Yorkshire - couldn't ask for more - long walks, beautiful countryside and landscapes, british history. The same would apply to the Highlands (though I admit I have never been, and fully intend to when things open up). UK holidays almost certainly shaped who I am today in terms of my personal and professional interests. Having spent much of my (more recent) professional life travelling, do I regret not going overseas more as a child? Not at all. Aside from less sun, the UK has wonderful things to offer! And I say this as someone who loves flying and travel, but also loves the delights of my home country, I really don't see what is wrong with a summer or two spent exploring home (when it is safe to do so).
And yes I am itching to go on my long-haul reward flights and associated holiday.... but won't do so until a) it is safe personally and b) rules permit it without long periods of quarantine.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
IMO, May to September is the best time of the year to be in the UK. Yes the weather can be variable but it will be nice for at least half of the time. It's the gloomy winter period that I prefer to be out of the UK. If not for the 14-21 day hotel quarantines I would be in HK and Australia now.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Dr Dave
As Taiwan and New Zealand have shown, the clearest ways to keep infection (in this case new types of the infection) out of the country is to have compulsory, monitored quarantine. It works.
I agree with your basic assumption, but
a) at 38k new cases per day a few hundred more or less will make no difference.
b) the UK already has one of the most concerning mutations (Kent virus) in most new cases.
c) current lockdown means the whole country is basically under quarantine, so hotel quarantine is not adding much.

Once the infection numbers are down and the UK is able to track and trace each infection in a way that AU, NZ, TW, SG, ... do, then having a hotel based quarantine system on arrival may make sense.
kilo and remaxmac like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:12 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by LCY8737
c) current lockdown means the whole country is basically under quarantine, so hotel quarantine is not adding much.
No it's not. Anybody can go out to exercise, shop, work etc. Just look at any town centre, there are loads of people around - far more than in the first lookdown.
stewardo and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
No it's not. Anybody can go out to exercise, shop, work etc. Just look at any town centre, there are loads of people around - far more than in the first lookdown.
Coming back from work tonight via a merchant’s (construction and can’t work from home) the roads were very very busy. Certainly nothing like last Mar /April
DYKWIA and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Queue at Caffè Nero was out into the street. Coffee clearly essential. Amazed how many 45+ year old men in Lycra must come from large households. About 6 rode past me in a pack, all talking/shouting together when I was out alone for my permitted exercise walk. Agree that people just don’t take this threat seriously enough.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:32 am
HB7
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
One of the SAGE scientists was on BBC today (apologies I forgot his name) and when asked about the current lockdown, he corrected the presenter and said: "we are not in a lockdown, this is Tier 4 only, last March/April was a lockdown, not this one". If the government were serious about this, anything that is absolutely not essential would be closed. A more stringent, harsh lockdown would last shorter than the current restrictions, which appear like they will last till summer or autumn.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by James91
I would never vacation in this country - the money will stay in my savings account until this is over. Grumpy customer service, sh!t weather and populations that generally look put out to have people visiting. Big no from me.
Some of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and the most memorable holidays I have ever had, have been in the UK. Cornwall, the Lake District, Snowdonia, Orkney... they are close to the top of my list of places I want to visit when things get back to normal.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
I posted a practically identical thread to this when The UK announced it was closing its borders last week and had wondered how BA would be affected and my poor thread was pulled

oh the folly of BA flyertalk!

I presume BA are assuming and calculating that no one is really going to be flying in 2021 now and have made calculations accordingly for the worse case scenario.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 11:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by allturnleft
I posted a practically identical thread to this when The UK announced it was closing its borders last week and had wondered how BA would be affected and my poor thread was pulled

oh the folly of BA flyertalk!

I presume BA are assuming and calculating that no one is really going to be flying in 2021 now and have made calculations accordingly for the worse case scenario.
I’m sure they have altered certain projections but I’d bet that they are counting on some recovery in Q2 and a lot of recovery in Q3 and Q4. I’m sure they have modeled everything but my guess is the airline is operating almost entirely to the projection I suggest.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 1:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, we wandered away from anything remotely connected to BA several 10s of posts ago, including dives into OMNI territory. It’s moved too far on for deletions, so we’re going to close this as it now has no connection to this forum.

/mod
StingWest likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.