Can a companion award be invalidated?

Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore Airlines, British Airways, South African Airways
Can a companion award be invalidated?

I have spent sufficient money on my BA Amex card to qualify for a Companion award. Part of the spend is for an Airbnb booking at a destination I have yet to travel to. What happens if I receive the Companion award and then later down the line I have to cancel or change my Airbnb booking because of say a flight cancellation, COVID restrictions etc. I would receive the award this February but my travel is only in April. So its possible I may cancel my Airbnb booking in March or April depending on what happens. Will the refund I eventually get from Airbnb then just sit as a positive balance on my Amex card when the money gets paid back from Airbnb? Would Amex cancel the Companion award because of this? Or alternatively will it just mean getting a Companion award the following year will mean I have to spend the GBP10000 plus the refund I get from Airbnb? Nothing is simple these days!
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The companion voucher will stick, you'll have a negative balance on your next qualification target.
rightfred likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Ive pulled that trick deliberately when Ive been tight on triggering the 241. Appreciate not exactly the right behaviour but it worked.
rightfred and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by rightfred
Or alternatively will it just mean getting a Companion award the following year will mean I have to spend the GBP10000 plus the refund I get from Airbnb?
Whenever this is asked on the companion voucher threads (see BA American Express companion voucher | master thread for the current one), this is the reported experience.
rightfred likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Heres the thread for all queries 241 BA American Express companion voucher | master thread

But yes, once the voucher is in your BAEC account whatever you do with the Amex doesnt matter.... as long as you retain an amex at all times to pay for using the voucher
Old Jan 16, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The voucher will stick. If the refund occurs in the same card year it will make no difference as you already have the voucher and your balance will be zeroed at the end of the year. If the refund occurs in the next card year, the refund will add to the target needed in the new card year for the next voucher.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.