BA and green-edged baggage labels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
BA and green-edged baggage labels

Dear all,

Can anybody confirm that BA is no longer using the green-edged baggage labels (required under EU law for luggage checked-in at a Community airport) for luggage checked in at UK airports?

If so, did this already end during the transition period, or was there a period even after the end of the transition period where left-over stock (of which I'm sure there must be lots, given the fall-off in passengers in 2020) where these labels were applied to luggage checked in at UK airports?

Thanks!

(An example is shown below, as is the source of the image)

(OTish: Photos from that cheapo Finnair deal AMS-SYD)
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They are using up the old stock, and thus avoid adding to landfill (baggage tags can't be recycled). When re-ordered they will lose the green edge.
becks1, SxMan and irishguy28 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:28 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
No green edged luggage labels ex-GLA on BA 12 days ago.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Am I the only one wondering what difference it makes to the OP?
gcuk, AAtticus, kosy91 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
No green edge out of LHR on Monday, although at the IB desks.
SxMan and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They are using up the old stock, and thus avoid adding to landfill (baggage tags can't be recycled). When re-ordered they will lose the green edge.
great. another point we dont need the general public made aware of to further support the frequent flyer tax!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They were all put in to a very large bin on 31st December.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by xxxxx
They were all put in to a very large bin on 31st December.
Could have been sent to BA (or other) check-in desks in EU
irishguy28 and imkevinmc like this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: Gold, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Could have been sent to BA (or other) check-in desks in EU
I doubt they would go to another airline if they are like Jet2 ones as they have the airline name on the backing.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 10:37 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I thought the green edged tags were only for intra-EU travel. Now that the UK isn't in the EU, there isn't any BA routes that are entirely intra EU without a stop in London, so no other place BA could use a green edged tag.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I thought the green edged tags were only for intra-EU travel. Now that the UK isn't in the EU, there isn't any BA routes that are entirely intra EU without a stop in London, so no other place BA could use a green edged tag.
The green edge tags are used on every destination ex EU (see the OP picture and where that bag is heading) and means they're eligible for blue lane customs if it happens to be arriving within the EU as its final destination. For this reason it's incredibly unlikely they will be used until the stock runs out, at least not from UK check in desks.
I suppose they could be used at EU airports for UK bound services - there's not a Blue lane customs option here anymore.
thijsseh likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by Jagboi
maybe the sunair franchise !?
onobond likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 4:13 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Why would anyone be interested to know? Recycling? How many of those have been ripped off and thrown in bins across the world.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Why would anyone be interested to know? Recycling? How many of those have been ripped off and thrown in bins across the world.
Flyertalk is a frequent flyer forum, and we avgeeks tend to like knowing about what others might consider insignificant details, I guess. It goes down the same vein as getting Sequence 001 at check-in, or knowing intricate details about how fares are built. It doesn't hurt to know, and I think it fits in this forum. Others may disagree, of course, and have the freedom to look away from threads like these .

We've recently discussed the ingredients of a Salade Niçoise and what is acceptable as sides in a Raclette. I don't think this is particularly off topic
salut0, varkey, SxMan and 16 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Am I the only one wondering what difference it makes to the OP?
If there is anyone else, then probably best if they just pass on by and keep their thoughts to themselves. It’s pretty clear FT doesn’t work particularly well when self-appointed forum landlords pounce on to threads to cross-examine the OP on their motivation for asking whatever BA-related question is of interest to them.

What BA is doing with its stocks of green-edged tags after Brexit is a solid and interesting forum topic, so let’s discuss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.