Wiki Posts
Search

BA and green-edged baggage labels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:51 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
They are using up the old stock, and thus avoid adding to landfill (baggage tags can't be recycled). When re-ordered they will lose the green edge.
I guess they could have sold their (unprinted) old stock to a different airline.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by xxxxx
They were all put in to a very large bin on 31st December.
Only opened boxes/in use rolls were disposed. Any other stock is going to EU stations as required. Also worth pointing out that depending on station, the tag used may be different depending on the type of printer used.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Perhaps they could make the edges blue now for U.K. departures...

Or am I missing the point of the edge, does it serve more purpose than just a coloured edge as an identifier?
Reason077 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:35 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Perhaps they could make the edges blue now for U.K. departures...

Or am I missing the point of the edge, does it serve more purpose than just a coloured edge as an identifier?
The green edge was (and in the EU still is) to easily show your eligibility to use the blue customs lane (as opposed to the red ./ green ones). Customs officers could / should stop you if you are / were in the blue lane without a green edged label.
rockflyertalk and imkevinmc like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue
Certainly an interesting thread I had no idea that was their purpose. I always ripped the tag off and binned it as soon as it came off the luggage belt, should I have been keeping it on for passing through the lane?
hessbo and SxMan like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by alex67500
Flyertalk is a frequent flyer forum, and we avgeeks tend to like knowing about what others might consider insignificant details, I guess. It goes down the same vein as getting Sequence 001 at check-in, or knowing intricate details about how fares are built. It doesn't hurt to know, and I think it fits in this forum. Others may disagree, of course, and have the freedom to look away from threads like these .

We've recently discussed the ingredients of a Salade Niçoise and what is acceptable as sides in a Raclette. I don't think this is particularly off topic
Agreed - I’m interested to know, because I find it all genuinely interesting!
alex67500 and imkevinmc like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by cattp
Certainly an interesting thread I had no idea that was their purpose. I always ripped the tag off and binned it as soon as it came off the luggage belt, should I have been keeping it on for passing through the lane?
You should keep it until you have passed customs not only for customs but also if you have any problems with your luggage (eg. damaged), the agents at the baggage enquiry desk would have to record down the tag number.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Fascinating, actually, for this member.

Living ex-EU and always passing through UK (CTA) I've never registered the green edge. And doing an ex-DUB (CTA) I never knew which lane to use anyway.

Filed under 'History can be quite interesting" and "I never knew that!"

Last edited by T8191; Jan 16, 2021 at 11:40 am
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:22 am

Will Belfast still use the green-edge labels?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:25 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by cauchy
Will Belfast still use the green-edge labels?
I would imagine so. Passengers from NI are entitled to EU allowances etc so I assume able to use blue channel at customs in the EU and so would need a green edged tag. The mind boggles as to whether Belfast arrivals at T5 need to go to domestic gates or gate 23 now....
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:46 am

Programs: BA Silver, Le Club Accor Hotels Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bd95
I would imagine so. Passengers from NI are entitled to EU allowances etc so I assume able to use blue channel at customs in the EU and so would need a green edged tag. The mind boggles as to whether Belfast arrivals at T5 need to go to domestic gates or gate 23 now....
My last arrival from Belfast on 2nd Jan we arrived at the domestic gates. I have checked the planned arrival gates for the next few days and its still planned the arrivals will go to the domestic stands.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:12 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
I can see them being sent to EU outstations, as there will still be a need for these there and there will
still be many bookings from the EU which connects in London and ends in the EU, it will be illogical to waste these but still have to supply other EU outstations (that or just send them to Iberia)
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aidy
I can see them being sent to EU outstations, as there will still be a need for these there and there will
still be many bookings from the EU which connects in London and ends in the EU, it will be illogical to waste these but still have to supply other EU outstations (that or just send them to Iberia)
It doesn't matter whether the journey ends in the EU, just whether it starts in the EU as to whether the identifying green strips are used. Arriving in a non EU country the green strips have no meaning and are ignored

If there were any remaining, there would be logic in sending them to an EU airport

Are these BA specific tags anyway? don't airports in the UK have generic stock that can be used for any airline

Originally Posted by Jagboi
I thought the green edged tags were only for intra-EU travel. Now that the UK isn't in the EU, there isn't any BA routes that are entirely intra EU without a stop in London, so no other place BA could use a green edged tag.
No - they are for any travel from an EU airport. An AMS-LHR flight woul be a suitable route. the linked to image in the 1st post, shows a green label tag used for travel to Sydney
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Are these BA specific tags anyway? don't airports in the UK have generic stock that can be used for any airline
​​​​​​The reverse side of the tag where the limited release information is located (or used to be) is speedmarqued. So while not particularly obvious it isn't generic stock. Universal handling agents like Swissport may well order generic stock but I have a feeling even they have their company branding on the limited release side of the tag.
aidy likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jan 17, 2021 at 8:04 am
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:10 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by bd95
NI has not joined the Schengen travel area and remains part of the CTA as does GB and Ireland, so no reason why those flight can't use domestic gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.