OneWorld Seat Selection

Old Jan 12, 21, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
OneWorld Seat Selection

I did a search on this board but could not find what I was looking for. I hope this is not a stupid question as I am new to how OneWorld works.

I am planning to book a BA business class ticket with Alaska Airlines through their booking site. Once it is booked, I will go to BA to select my seats. I know I would normally have to pay for the seats at time of booking because I am only a BA Bronze. However, I am a OneWorld Sapphire as a American Airlines Million Miler. (Lifetime Gold) I see that OneWorld Sapphires can book seats at time of booking for free on the BA site. How does the BA site know I am a OneWorld Sapphire? Would I have to put in my American Airlines FF number in the reservation on the BA site? (I can't do this on the Alaska side.) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Old Jan 12, 21, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Klrduks View Post
I did a search on this board but could not find what I was looking for. I hope this is not a stupid question as I am new to how OneWorld works.

I am planning to book a BA business class ticket with Alaska Airlines through their booking site. Once it is booked, I will go to BA to select my seats. I know I would normally have to pay for the seats at time of booking because I am only a BA Bronze. However, I am a OneWorld Sapphire as a American Airlines Million Miler. (Lifetime Gold) I see that OneWorld Sapphires can book seats at time of booking for free on the BA site. How does the BA site know I am a OneWorld Sapphire? Would I have to put in my American Airlines FF number in the reservation on the BA site? (I can't do this on the Alaska side.) Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Many threads on BA seating including -- BA Seating Policy Guide
Who can choose their seat free of charge up to 7 days before departure?
  • Bronze Executive Club card holders and oneworld Ruby equivalents
AA Gold is OW Ruby. AA Plat is OW Sapphire. https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits
For seat selection for free need to put in your AA ffn (status) in the BA reservation. If initially booked with AS ff miles that may be more difficult.
When AS joins Oneworld on 31 March 2021 would expect AS MVP Gold (OW Sapphire) & MVP Gold 75K (OW emerald) to have the same seating privileges as other OW ffp's
When is the flight?
Klrduks likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 12, 21 at 12:40 pm
Old Jan 12, 21, 1:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Hi. So when you make the booking and get your BA PNR you should be able to see the booking on BA manage my booking. If you enter your AA number on the Alaska site when you book, that should come through and show on BA, and it should recognise your status to allow selection of seats. If for some reason your AA number doesn't show you can add in on BA MMB, or if you need to change it from something else to your AA number you can do this by loading the VA booking on the Finnair site, remove the program number you don't want, and resave with your AA number.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
If you enter your AA number on the Alaska site when you book, that should come through and show on BA, and it should recognise your status to allow selection of seats. If for some reason your AA number doesn't show you can add in on BA MMB, or if you need to change it from something else to your AA number you can do this by loading the VBA booking on the Finnair site, remove the program number you don't want, and resave with your AA number.
Do not see that working when booking (for self) using own AS ff miles, as reservation will be populated with AS details from log in. On AA people book for "an other" instead of self, so the "other" ffn's details can then be entered. No idea if that is possible with AS awards.

Do you have AS status or will have AS status before the flight?
Edit
OP's AS status as link
Date of proposed flight is part of the question
Klrduks likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 12, 21 at 3:35 pm
Old Jan 12, 21, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Do not see that working when booking (for self) using own AS ff miles, as reservation will be populated with AS details from log in. On AA people book for "an other" instead of self, so the "other" ffn's details can then be entered. No idea if that is possible with AS awards.
Yes it will. Using the BA PNR the OP can change the FFP on the AY MMB - so remove AS FFP number, and put in AA FFP number.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes it will. Using the BA PNR the OP can change the FFP on the AY MMB - so remove AS FFP number, and put in AA FFP number.
Changing ffn after booking is not the same as putting in an AA ffn at time of making an AS award booking. More of a question for AS forum as about an AS awards
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Changing ffn after booking is not the same as putting in an AA ffn at time of making an AS award booking. More of a question for AS forum as about an AS awards
Thanks. I do understand the OP's question

This is about changing the FFP on the operating airline MMB, i.e. the BA PNR, even when it is auto populated with a different FFP. As noted, this is fine to do on AY MMB and many have done it before.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
This is about changing the FFP on the operating airline MMB, i.e. the BA PNR, even when it is auto populated with a different FFP. As noted, this is fine to do on AY MMB and many have done it before.
But surely it's better to stop the AS frequent flyer number getting into the booking to begin with? I don't know whether AS allows a member to book for someone else, but most frequent flyer schemes do - and that would seem to be the best way to deal with this issue.
KARFA, Mwenenzi and Klrduks like this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser View Post
But surely it's better to stop the AS frequent flyer number getting into the booking to begin with? I don't know whether AS allows a member to book for someone else, but most frequent flyer schemes do - and that would seem to be the best way to deal with this issue.
That is true. And if you can book without it populating the FFP number as you noted that would mean nothing was in on the BA PNR, and you can just add the AA FFP on BA MMB. But worst case, if this isn't possible the OP can remove and replace on AY.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Thank you for all the responses. I am Alaska GMVP75 (and Million Miler which is GMVP for Life) and as I stated, American Million MiIer. (Gold for Life) I did make a mistake in I thought AA Gold was Sapphire but it is only Ruby. So my AA status won't help anyway. The flights I am booking are not until December so I guess I can wait until after 3/31/21 assuming Alaska does become OneWorld at that point.

It sounds like the consensus if to make the reservation and get the BA PNR and request the seat assignment through the BA site. That is how I have done seat assignments in the past as well. Once Alaska joins One-World, I can go in with my Emerald status (GMVP75K) and select seats for free.

I have never tried but I am pretty sure you can not put another FF number in an Alaska booking prior to booking the award ticket.

Thanks again for the help and any other insights are appreciated.
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a Dec 2021 flight no issue in booking the award now or when available. On April 01, the BA IT system should hopefully refresh to update your AS OW Emerald status(if you still have it). Log in a an selects a seat. For business class ~9 months out is a long time to be booking flights-selecting seats
Klrduks likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: