Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Avios for AS flights. Now or wait?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Using Avios for AS flights. Now or wait?

I’m looking at booking an AS SFO-LAS flight using my abundance of avios but trying to find out am I better to book now using the old (current) pricing or wait until they join OW and then (I assume) it’ll be the same pricing as the current AA flights
Old Jan 12, 2021, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Couldn't you book now and then if the pricing changes in due course cancel and rebook? You'd lose the cash portion but it's generally only a few dollars. If there's a schedule change you'd get that back of course. That said, there's no guarantee that there'll be Avios availability for the specific dates you're after so strike now while the iron's hot may be the better option?

Depending on when you're looking to fly it may also be better value to pay cash. For example, one-way flights from SFO to LAS in April are showing as $89 on AS. I'd assume that once AS joins OW you'd get 40 TPs for that particular flight.
mikeyfly and andymcdonnell like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 1:23 am
Original Poster

You’re right, they’re pretty good value. I’m looking at Sept and it’s around $200 return in business (first). The only reason I’m thinking of an avios booking is that it offers greater flexibility to cancel if I still can’t travel
Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Is the difference in the reward table used actually related to Oneworld membership?

If this page is still correct it seems to be IAG airlines which have their own table, then AA, then everyone else in Oneworld and the other partners, including AS: Your guide to spending Avios | 2020 edition

So I’m not sure it is nailed on that AS will adopt AA’s pricing (hopefully if they don’t, paid domestic First will earn F tier points!).
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lcylocal
(hopefully if they don’t, paid domestic First will earn F tier points!).
Dream on!
andymcdonnell likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.