Gaining Avios spend via PayPal with TUI

Old Jan 12, 21, 5:49 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
Gaining Avios spend via PayPal with TUI

Hello,

I am a relatively new Amex British Airways Premium Plus credit card holder.

Unfortunately when trying to pay off a significant TUI package holiday, I realised they don't accept Amex as a payment method when trying to settle the balance online. However, I noticed they welcome PayPal payments.

If I link my Amex to PayPal and use this for the transaction do you know if this will qualify as normal spending that will trigger the cardís £1 spent to 1.5 Avios points reward?

Thank you so much
AIKE is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 3,112
No direct experience of TUI but in general you can link Paypal to Amex and use it for transactions where the merchant doesn't usually accept Amex directly, and you will get the Avios. Not always though, sometimes Amex is blocked as a funding source by some merchants somehow.

Whether it's advisable is another question, you might check Paypal policies for chargeback if TUI were to fold. I'd rather spend on a credit card where the situation is much clearer.
bisonrav is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Programs: BAEC Gold, OWE
Posts: 203
Yeah my understanding is the transaction is then indirect so you "lose" s75 protection
imkevinmc, mikeyfly and TGLoyalty like this.
drwook is online now  
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:53 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Leicestershire, UK
Programs: BA Bronze, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard, Shell Go+
Posts: 483
Originally Posted by drwook View Post
Yeah my understanding is the transaction is then indirect so you "lose" s75 protection
Correct, Amex can refer you to PayPal in the event of a dispute.

I regularly use Amex via PayPal where a merchant doesn't accept Amex directly and it's worked fine.
Paren is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 7:01 am
  #5  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N/A
Programs: Go Fish
Posts: 5,208
I would strongly advise against paypal, especially when purchasing holidays or flights when changes/refunds etc are going to be an issue
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 7:10 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, aware Iíd forfeit credit card protection. It is for a package holiday much later in the year and wonít be paying it until later also - I just wanted to clear up the Avios link.
AIKE is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 7:17 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by AIKE View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, aware I’d forfeit credit card protection. It is for a package holiday much later in the year and won’t be paying it until later also - I just wanted to clear up the Avios link.
Can you not pay off a small amount via a Visa or mastercard CC and the rest via paypal with Amex? That way you will be covered by S75 through your direct spend should you need protection. You would sacrifice a few avios obviously but worth it for having S75
Also in your original post you say 'pay off'. So if you've already paid the first installment with a non-AMEX cc you will be covered for the whole holiday with S75.... So your worries at this stage will be unfounded
GBOAC is online now  
Old Jan 12, 21, 7:27 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by GBOAC View Post
Can you not pay off a small amount via a Visa or mastercard CC and the rest via paypal with Amex? That way you will be covered by S75 through your direct spend should you need protection. You would sacrifice a few avios obviously but worth it for having S75
Also in your original post you say 'pay off'. So if you've already paid the first installment with a non-AMEX cc you will be covered for the whole holiday with S75.... So your worries at this stage will be unfounded
Actually it was via debit but thatís a good suggestion. From my memory I think if I put £100 towards the balance via a MasterCard, as you suggest, that would give me the S75 protection for the whole balance. Great suggestion thanks.
AIKE is offline  
Old Jan 12, 21, 7:44 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 224
Originally Posted by AIKE View Post
Actually it was via debit but thatís a good suggestion. From my memory I think if I put £100 towards the balance via a MasterCard, as you suggest, that would give me the S75 protection for the whole balance. Great suggestion thanks.
I believe (and I'm not a financial advisor or expert) you can put a small amount, say £20 towards the total, and as long as the total product is over £100 you are covered.
See here, a £60 deposit on a £600 item covers you:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-credit-act
bisonrav and AJA_ like this.
GBOAC is online now  
Old Jan 12, 21, 7:56 am
  #10  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: N/A
Programs: Go Fish
Posts: 5,208
Originally Posted by GBOAC View Post
I believe (and I'm not a financial advisor or expert) you can put a small amount, say £20 towards the total, and as long as the total product is over £100 you are covered.
See here, a £60 deposit on a £600 item covers you:
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rig...mer-credit-act
That is correct
nufnuf77 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 2:58 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 8
You always get the Avios / points when spending on your Amex via PayPal, irrespective of the retailer taking Amex directly or not.
lvA6 is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 3:32 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fuerteventura
Posts: 72
For what itís worth TUI cancelled one of my bookings last week. Received the refund email from PayPal about an hour before the TUI email to tell me! Quickest refund of all so far.
ajdj is offline  
Old Jan 13, 21, 3:56 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver, Starbucks Gold (free syrup, don't knock it), My John Lewis (free coffee and cake!)
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by ajdj View Post
For what itís worth TUI cancelled one of my bookings last week. Received the refund email from PayPal about an hour before the TUI email to tell me! Quickest refund of all so far.
Whereas last year, my PayPal refund from TUI was one of the slowest to be processed - they were citing some unspecified technical issues with that payment method which
meant they were delayed. In the end I opened a dispute on PayPal and it was refunded within a few days, it sure how long it would have taken otherwise.
ratechaser is online now  
Old Jan 13, 21, 6:17 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 864
FYI there's also (perhaps targeted) offer on Amex right now.
Do check your amex offers in the app or online.

Paypal - Spend £70 and get £15, one time

Might be a nice extra.
AAtticus is online now  
Old Jan 13, 21, 7:58 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 30
My most interesting refund/cancellation anecdote of 2020 relates to TUI (Doesnít really help the OP but still canít believe this happened)

Paid a deposit for 2 of us in January 2020 on a fairly expensive trip for the June. Had paid a deposit of £400 at time of booking. Had to wait until after the scheduled departure date to go through their refund process. Got told it was being processed but they actually took another £400 from my card rather than refunding me.

They refused to acknowledge this happened as their systems said, ďrefund processedĒ. It took a number of months and multiple hours of calls, emails as well as provision of proof to get them to realise their error. I got all the money back within about an hour of them accepting theyíd made the mistake.

Whilst not a large amount of money it wasnít insignificant and I was completely at their mercy. My final threat of reporting them for theft seemed to be what called them to proper action.
iamfrequentlyatflyertalk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: