Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

STATUS MATCH! Virgin Atlantic will match your British Airways Executive Club status

STATUS MATCH! Virgin Atlantic will match your British Airways Executive Club status

Old Jan 11, 21, 5:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

My hypothesis in previous posts that there will many status matches later this year is getting some early support. VS just launched a status match campaign (they match BAEC as well as other programmes).
Old Jan 11, 21, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain View Post
My hypothesis in previous posts that there will many status matches later this year is getting some early support. VS just launched a status match campaign (they match BAEC as well as other programmes).
Hmm tempting, especially as a means of ensuring status somewhere into 2022 should BA not extend.... VS cover two of my three frequent routes....
https://thepointsguy.co.uk/news/virg...tch-ba-elites/
Old Jan 11, 21, 10:52 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
An interesting point that FlyingClub Silver does not give lounge access.
If I would like to retain FC Silver status, I would need 8 return flights with VS ( in discount ECO ) were for the same price and same flying pattern ( IST-USA mainly - VS interlines with TK or BA for the IST-LHR part ), I could achieve DL Medallion Gold ( ST Elite ) from the beginning which has better perks when flying VS so that this offer is not tempting for myself.

However, this offer might be beneficial to some LHR based people.
Old Jan 11, 21, 11:24 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver
There is a good article on Head for Points and Virgin are offering lounge vouchers for the Silver status match
Old Jan 11, 21, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
With the ongoing BA status uncertainty, particularly for the July-Oct 2021 TP year ends who have already burned up 50-25% respectively of their 25% discounted TP target period, as a Gold or GGL, if the Virgin routes are the ones you fly, its crazy not to do the status match.

I normally dismiss status matches as I'm a BA fan but I'll spend this evening researching the Virgin program and I have a booking I need to make post the current Book with Confidence policy that ends in August. Unlike some GGL, I at least have Gold for Life to fall back on rather than drop to Silver, but at the moment, there is nothing to indicate loyalty means anything to BA for me, and for those potentially dropping to Silver, it seems you may as well give some money to Virgin and get Gold with them incase you end up Silver with BA. Who knows, we may try Virgin and like them.
Oaxaca likes this.

Last edited by gcuk; Jan 11, 21 at 11:53 am
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:09 pm

Is there a limit to when you can fly by to get the status match? Strategically I would need to fly VS in August to enable me to a) confirm status with VS and b) not waste a booking that I could otherwise be crediting to my new TP year (assuming BA do give an extension...).

However if flights are not easily possible in August, would a flight in, say, November, be OK and then start my VS clock ticking from that point?

Its sad that BA are letting it get to the point where people like me (Silver or above since c.2015) are looking to shop around to guarantee decent status for 2021/22...
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by GBOAC View Post
Is there a limit to when you can fly by to get the status match?...
No, but the deadline to apply is Feb 28, and you must make a VS booking by then (if you havenít already got one).

The clock starts ticking as soon as your application is approved, which VS claims will be within 30 days. So realistically sometime in March at the latest.

Last edited by GumshoeW12; Jan 11, 21 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:39 pm

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Just did some reasearch and Delta is also accepting status matches from BAEC at this time;

BA Bronze -> Medallion Silver ( ST Elite )
BA Silver -> Medallion Gold ( ST Elite Plus )
BA Gold -> Medallion Platinum ( ST Elite Plus )

Complimentary status is granted for 3 months and DL Silver's would need 6250 MQM's, DL Gold's would need 12500 MQM's and DL Platinum's would need 18750 MQM's and your status would be extended until 31 January 2022. Unless things change, until 31 December 2021, you would need to achieve the regular reduced thresholds to maintain your status until 31 January 2023. Members based outside of the USA are exempt from the spending ( MQD ) requirement.

I also checked United but they are currently offering status matches only from AAdvantage and DL Skymiles members.
Old Jan 11, 21, 12:52 pm

Programs: OWS IHG Spire
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Just did some reasearch and Delta is also accepting status matches from BAEC at this time;

BA Bronze -> Medallion Silver ( ST Elite )
BA Silver -> Medallion Gold ( ST Elite Plus )
BA Gold -> Medallion Platinum ( ST Elite Plus )

Complimentary status is granted for 3 months and DL Silver's would need 6250 MQM's, DL Gold's would need 12500 MQM's and DL Platinum's would need 18750 MQM's and your status would be extended until 31 January 2022. Unless things change, until 31 December 2021, you would need to achieve the regular reduced thresholds to maintain your status until 31 January 2023. Members based outside of the USA are exempt from the spending ( MQD ) requirement.

I also checked United but they are currently offering status matches only from AAdvantage and DL Skymiles members.

Perhaps a BAEC Status Match thread would be of interest to the shinny card collectors..
Old Jan 11, 21, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12 View Post
No, but the deadline to apply is Feb 28, and you must make a VS booking by then (if you havenít already got one).

The clock starts ticking as soon as your application is approved, which VS claims will be within 30 days. So realistically sometime in March at the latest.
So assuming no travel until the autumn (for those younger among us), 6 months of the matched period will already be gone.... Ho Hum, not so great.
Old Jan 12, 21, 2:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Gold

Cannot see this covered elsewhere.

Head for Points advising Virgin Atlantic are offering a status match for BA Executive Club members: https://www.headforpoints.com/2021/0...itish-airways/

It seems they have done their homework and Silver EC will get two passes into the Virgin Clubhouse. I guess they may well pick up some bookings for Winter 2021?
Old Jan 12, 21, 3:00 am

With Terminal 3 closed for the foreseeable future I don't know how much one will be able to enjoy the Clubhouse... at LHR at least.
DelTroon likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Not really a status match if you have to make a booking before you get it and you only get two lounge visits as a BA Silver member. No thanks, Iíll stick with BA.
bafan likes this.
Old Jan 12, 21, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold etc
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
With the ongoing BA status uncertainty, particularly for the July-Oct 2021 TP year ends...
As an August, I've still got six months before I need to get really concerned... and given than next-to-noone is currently flying, it is IMHO inconceivable that there will not be some for of extension.

In the meanwhile, this one is filed under the things I cannot change and I am managing that, with serenity :-)
Old Jan 12, 21, 7:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kanderson1965 View Post
Not really a status match if you have to make a booking before you get it and you only get two lounge visits as a BA Silver member. No thanks, I’ll stick with BA.
I don't think it's too bad. A round trip LHR-NYC or LHR-BOS is like GBP 259. And they give you two lounge access awards, letting you try the VS clubhouses which are far superior to the GC lounges.

I'd probably go for it had I not VS covered through my DL status. The status may also be useful for additional status matches further down the road. After all, it's pretty rare to have a status match that lets you match within the alliance. So if one has trouble requalifying for BA status the usual way this year, it seems to me matching BAEC to some non-OW programme with the intention of later matching back to a OW programme seems like the most promising route.

As I wrote several times before, I do believe there will be more status matching opportunities to come this year than in previous years. Obv, a status match costs the offering airline nothing unless you fly with them. But they very much want you to start flying with them, as they have difficulties filling their seats (and their lounges as well).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: