Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

STATUS MATCH! Virgin Atlantic will match your British Airways Executive Club status

STATUS MATCH! Virgin Atlantic will match your British Airways Executive Club status

Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:41 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
There are only 2 things about VS that I miss since I made the switch to oneworld around 2013, and they are sitting in UC in the nose of a LHR 747; and the quality of their clubhouses.

Oh alright, their breakfast offerings on the red eyes back from JFK were pretty good as well.

Hmm, and now I'm remembering the cheese trolley. Which was an addition rather than alternative to pudding. The snacks on the bar were pretty good too. And they always gave me free champagne and Aberfeldy malt in economy. And they even had economy and PE upstairs which made it bearable. And you could buy extra lounge passes for your kids as well. And the limo service was really useful, especially with the private T3 check in.

Dammit!... now you've got me going - why did I ever switch (apart from the ever shrinking route map...). I'd do this status match like a shot if there was any chance of persuading Mrs RC to risk another holiday booking in the next month...
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser
There are only 2 things about VS that I miss since I made the switch to oneworld around 2013, and they are sitting in UC in the nose of a LHR 747; and the quality of their clubhouses.

Oh alright, their breakfast offerings on the red eyes back from JFK were pretty good as well.

Hmm, and now I'm remembering the cheese trolley. Which was an addition rather than alternative to pudding. The snacks on the bar were pretty good too. And they always gave me free champagne and Aberfeldy malt in economy. And they even had economy and PE upstairs which made it bearable. And you could buy extra lounge passes for your kids as well. And the limo service was really useful, especially with the private T3 check in.

Dammit!... now you've got me going - why did I ever switch (apart from the ever shrinking route map...). I'd do this status match like a shot if there was any chance of persuading Mrs RC to risk another holiday booking in the next month...
The last time I travelled on VS, I had SRB travelling 2 seats away from me, the service was exemplary and he came to chat to the VS Golds in the cabin (as I was at the time). I assume he travels on every flight as a standard VS benefit to other customers in the cabin?

Actually, much like yourself, if I could persuade Mrs TT1F to book a holiday for later in the year, it's tempting
ratechaser likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:54 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
<snip>

In the meanwhile, this one is filed under the things I cannot change and I am managing that, with serenity :-)
That's the spirit !!
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Looks like they made up some new rules for those matching from other frequent flyer programs:

· You need to provide a valid, current annual statement that will show you have sufficient travel on the VAA (or JV) network to maintain the status – Please send in a valid statement of your past years travel with your current preferred airline.

· You need to have a future revenue flight booked with VAA in either Premium Economy or Upper Class - Please provide a valid booking reference for a Virgin Atlantic flight.
(posting this in the BA forum, since the match isn't discussed in the Virgin-subforum)
Comatose.Captain likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by delpiero223
Looks like they made up some new rules for those matching from other frequent flyer programs:

(posting this in the BA forum, since the match isn't discussed in the Virgin-subforum)
These have been the standard status match rules for a few years, the current promotion is only the reduction of requirements & Clubhouse passes for Silver, not the status matching
delpiero223 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:20 am

Programs: GGL/CCR
My match is done
Pack likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, UA Premier Platinum
My match was done within a day. I kind of wish I’d waited a few weeks now to maximise the year of status but whatever
Old Feb 15, 2021, 5:47 am

Ugh, I've just seen this, and it makes my May tier point year suck even worse (I got two years of silver instead of two years of gold when they extended).

That aside, do you actually have to take the flight you book with them? Would suck if it got cancelled due to the current insanity and they no longer honoured the status match.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RG1X
Ugh, I've just seen this, and it makes my May tier point year suck even worse (I got two years of silver instead of two years of gold when they extended).

That aside, do you actually have to take the flight you book with them? Would suck if it got cancelled due to the current insanity and they no longer honoured the status match.
What is the point of getting a match if you're not going to fly with them anyway? And presumably if all flights continue to be cancelled as they are now then they will extend peoples' status anyway. (Just like BA will)
Old Feb 15, 2021, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Tafflyer
What is the point of getting a match if you're not going to fly with them anyway? And presumably if all flights continue to be cancelled as they are now then they will extend peoples' status anyway. (Just like BA will)
I will be flying with them, next year (and quite a bit). Would be a pretty odd thing to want if I didn't.

The point is that obviously we can't guarantee any flights in the short term, so if I book one for August and it was to get cancelled, I'd still hope to get the status match.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I doubt I'll be able to use this unless the application period is extended, but does it have to be a VS stock booking to qualify? I've a DL trip to rebook at some point - which will have VS legs on it - but it's on 006 stock.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
I received my match in January expecting to fly a cheap TLV-LHR sector and then onward to America on a DL coded VS operated J booking. This trip would have almost renew silver in Flying Club... then the IL government shut down TLV causing my bookings to get cancelled. The new VS schedule ex tLV is an evening flight to LHR negating same day connection opportunities to USA.

My next trip is booked on UA, AA & RJ; hopefully I can try out VS later this year.
Old May 11, 2021, 3:50 pm

is it gonna work if I have a DL reservation with a leg LHR-JFK in VS Upper Class?
Old May 12, 2021, 5:02 am

VS have taken a huge blow - their lounge in T3 will not reopen at the same time as their flights return there. If I had gone for a match, and was faced with flying BA with a lounge in T5 or VS from T3 with no lounge, BA would win hands down...
pazza2000 likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
VS have taken a huge blow - their lounge in T3 will not reopen at the same time as their flights return there. If I had gone for a match, and was faced with flying BA with a lounge in T5 or VS from T3 with no lounge, BA would win hands down...
Have they publicly said that they won’t reopen their CH alongside their eventual move back to T3?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.