Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
I took an FTV yesterday for a cancelled 50% Avios booking + 241 and the agent dropped some heavy hints that I could expect another 50% Avios flights sale to materialise in the not-too-distant future. Not sure how speculative that was on their part but I would think another sale is certainly possible...
routeone likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Starship73
I took an FTV yesterday for a cancelled 50% Avios booking + 241 and the agent dropped some heavy hints that I could expect another 50% Avios flights sale to materialise in the not-too-distant future. Not sure how speculative that was on their part but I would think another sale is certainly possible...
Doesnt surprise me BA are going to have more sales than DFS. This promotion and the £999 fares for the 747 generate much needed cash for the BA bank account so I expect more of the same to follow.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Vlntn
No, there was no reward availability on my preferred flight/date. The agent didn't even mention it and proceeded with rebooking immediately.
Wow thats a great result for you, Ive tried twice (once via youfirst once via normal line) and both times i was told that a First>CW downgrade meant i could only move +/-3 days (no reward availalbity needed) or to any day with reward availalbity - and this was inline with the official policy a cabin downgrade (vs a real cancellation), but that's it, guess you got very lucky with the agent. I may try again.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
The issue I have is that I handed over the cash because of the offer and if that is no longer being offered to me I will be out of pocket as I won’t be fully refunded and it is not in the spirit of voluntary

i put my faith in it going ahead and in BA to help them in a time of cash flow issues.

Rightly or wrongly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I don't see why there would be a bad taste. BA has extended its normal policies to allow voluntary cancellations and maintain credit for future use ; in normal times, a voluntary cancellation has no exceptions to cancellation policies

It is a voluntary cancellation since it is the passenger asking the airline to be able to cancel the booking; it is no more involuntarily than someone cancelling because they failed to renew a passport, didn't get any required visa or just had their leave cancelled by an organisation for which they work.

What would seem to be the best way to go , would be to wait until last minute and see whether the flight gets cancelled
Old Feb 8, 2021, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Starship73
it is unlikely that anyone at call centre level has any idea what promotions or business recovery measures are likely.
oxfordjames, London21 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
Originally Posted by binman
it is unlikely that anyone at call centre level has any idea what promotions or business recovery measures are likely.
True for long term business recovery strategy, but not for imminent promotions. The call centre staff would need to be briefed in advance in order to be able to respond to customer queries.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bakera
True for long term business recovery strategy, but not for imminent promotions. The call centre staff would need to be briefed in advance in order to be able to respond to customer queries.
It would be pretty crazy to launch a promo now when there is genuinely no idea what is going on out there. I agree it will happen, but BA needs to have a firm(ish) schedule you can book and members need to have firm(ish) certainty they can go.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
It would be pretty crazy to launch a promo now when there is genuinely no idea what is going on out there. I agree it will happen, but BA needs to have a firm(ish) schedule you can book and members need to have firm(ish) certainty they can go.
....except cash is King, and refunds must be flowing out the door so another sale I guess would generate much needed short -term cash, even it does need refunding in 6 months.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The usual experience is end of June. If you go beyond that then your trip is repriced in the usual Avios amount, then your actual previous Avios spend is deducted. However some people have been able to rebook beyond June, either online for simple trips, or via the Contact Centres. You can have a full refund instead.
I can seem to move a May trip to September (and many other dates) on MMB for a slight tax increase but no Avios increase. Has anyone successfully done this online and then been subsequent contacted by BA to pay up on additional Avios needed or (worst case) had their whole ticket cancelled. My Singapore flights haven't actually been cancelled and I would love to go in late May but don't think it will be feasible by then, even if vaccinated.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by belsize77
I can seem to move a May trip to September (and many other dates) on MMB for a slight tax increase but no Avios increase. Has anyone successfully done this online and then been subsequent contacted by BA to pay up on additional Avios needed or (worst case) had their whole ticket cancelled. My Singapore flights haven't actually been cancelled and I would love to go in late May but don't think it will be feasible by then, even if vaccinated.
This is quite a long thread now, but if you skim upthread a bit I think there are some success stories in similar scenarios, and I can't see BA contacting you for more Avios if you can do it online, it's a self serve channel after all. The tax difference is also reported upthread too. If your flights are still operating and you are definitely not travelling then I suppose you haven't got much to lose, but on the whole my advice (apart from not making maybe bookings, but that ship has saled.....) is to leave it until as late as you can to keep your options open. It's also worth pointing out that this is not the last ever Avios deal, despite the impression given in some quarters.
Traveller 935 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by belsize77
I did this and haven't heard anything and all looks good, selected a seat etc.I decided this was better than awaiting a cancellation as the availability was wide open and a cancellation might lead me to speaking to an agent where it seems either they or reticketing would want the extra Avios.

But you can only go as far as late-Sept and it's unlikely Singapore will be open by then but I don't need the Avios right now and it's just 1 x one way ticket so happy to have a punt, can always cancel for £35. If I was looking at £140 quid to cancel for both of us return I'd probably have switched it to a BA15/16 and took the refund once it cancelled & wait for something to come up early next year.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
Hi,

I'm sure this must have been raised but I can't find it. If I have a flight booked in the offer last year, I assume that if I change it I will need to stump up the other 50% of the Avios plus more if I am moving from off-peak to peak and any difference in taxes on the new booking. If it is a case of 50% more Avios I'll probably just go for a cheap cash booking with QR as I'm cheesed off with BA as I'm an August Gold and feel a little hard done by. But that's another thread that I am familiar with!

Thanks for any help and sorry if it's been raised before....
Old Feb 9, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Silver
We had Tokyo flights booked for April on a Amex 241 and 50% Avios deal. Called BA on the 0800 number this morning and got straight through to a really helpful guy. He offered flights any time until next January without any worries of availability and no change fees or additional Avios...so booked for Dec. Couldn’t beat it really. He did say however that we would be charged if we wanted to change again. So we’ll done BA!
Old Feb 9, 2021, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by HomewardTraveller
We had Tokyo flights booked for April on a Amex 241 and 50% Avios deal. Called BA on the 0800 number this morning and got straight through to a really helpful guy. He offered flights any time until next January without any worries of availability and no change fees or additional Avios...so booked for Dec. Couldn’t beat it really. He did say however that we would be charged if we wanted to change again. So we’ll done BA!
Interesting. I’m in exactly the same scenario - due to fly to Tokyo on April 23rd. I guess I should expect a call soon from BA then to inform us of our flight cancellation?

I’d ideally like to move the flights to April 2022 as opposed to December 2021 though, but I guess a 6 month extension window on the original offer period isn’t too bad!
Old Feb 9, 2021, 11:50 am
dnw

Originally Posted by HomewardTraveller
If what you are saying is correct then the agent extended the validity of your ticket beyond the original 365 day window, by some 3 months. I have had this once before but general consensus / policy seems to be that original validly date is a hard stop. It would be great if this was waved as it feels like most of the 50% off tickets will have expired before they can be reasonably used...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.