Changing 50% Avios Flights

Old Feb 7, 21, 6:16 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by routeone View Post
Noted. But it must be said that some have had success in voluntary rebookings; securing flights beyond the original 50% avios offer deadline of June 2021.
That is most likely a mistake, e.g. caught the agent off guard or for some reason MMB allowed change without recalculation the Avios amounts - and is likely to be rectified if/when it is noticed and the add. Avios will be collected (as I believe it has been reported in this thread or other similar).

It can hardly come as surprise to anyone in this forum that the Avios ticket booked back in Oct with a clear last travel date of 30 June to be able to benefit from the 50%-off offer, can't be rebooked later (voluntary) for dates beyond 30 June without collection of additional Avios.
Old Feb 7, 21, 7:40 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I just don’t see BA cancelling our flight to EZE (now via GIG) in June.

They are running many a flight even though we can’t really travel on them.

Its such a shame as we won’t be going without the 50% offer
Old Feb 7, 21, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin View Post
I just dont see BA cancelling our flight to EZE (now via GIG) in June.

They are running many a flight even though we cant really travel on them.

Its such a shame as we wont be going without the 50% offer
Not helpful for actually spending time in the destination, but if BA do not cancel, couldn't you just fly, be refused entry, and force BA to return you back to the UK in the club/first manner in which you were ticketed?
Is this not a risk on the carrier if airlines continue to fly and don't offer flexability on changing bookings due to factors unknown at the time of booking (after all, back in October, we were promised normality by Spring 2021!)
Old Feb 7, 21, 8:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GBOAC View Post
Not helpful for actually spending time in the destination, but if BA do not cancel, couldn't you just fly, be refused entry, and force BA to return you back to the UK in the club/first manner in which you were ticketed?
Is this not a risk on the carrier if airlines continue to fly and don't offer flexability on changing bookings due to factors unknown at the time of booking (after all, back in October, we were promised normality by Spring 2021!)
if you didn’t meet entry requirements you would just be refused boarding. Also being refused entry to a country could have implications when it comes to entry in the future or visa applications - so generally not recommended to go somewhere where you know you would be refused entry.

You do have flexibility courtesy of BWC/FTV which allow you to preserve the full value of your non-refundable booking in circumstances where you are unable to travel.
RockyRobin likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Feb 7, 21 at 8:54 am
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:34 am

Thanks, would this protect my 2-4-1 and 50% avios?
Old Feb 7, 21, 9:40 am

Most likely the OP will never get this far - if the OP doesn't fulfill the entry regulation BA will not allow the OP to board the flight.

It is way too soon to predict anything about flights in June.
Old Feb 7, 21, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Most likely the OP will never get this far - if the OP doesn't fulfill the entry regulation BA will not allow the OP to board the flight.

It is way too soon to predict anything about flights in June.
So I guess I'm probing pax rights if the flight is technicall going ahead (due to cargo load or a small % of people able to travel) but one individual can't travel due to blanket bans/health requirements. It sounds like the only option is FTV or cancel but loose the benefit of the 50% off for a future rebooking. Which seems rather unfair as the pax booked in good faith they would be able to travel, and can't do so for reasons totally beyond their control
Old Feb 7, 21, 10:30 am

Thanks, would this protect my 2-4-1 and 50% avios?
Sadly not. Any voluntary change or going via BWC/FTV would mean you would be liable for any fare difference for a cash booking or avios difference for a reward.

So I guess I'm probing pax rights if the flight is technicall going ahead (due to cargo load or a small % of people able to travel) but one individual can't travel due to blanket bans/health requirements. It sounds like the only option is FTV or cancel but loose the benefit of the 50% off for a future rebooking. Which seems rather unfair as the pax booked in good faith they would be able to travel, and can't do so for reasons totally beyond their control
Is any airline offering to protect a promotion fare where you do a voluntary change?
Old Feb 7, 21, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Sadly not. Any voluntary change or going via BWC/FTV would mean you would be liable for any fare difference for a cash booking or avios difference for a reward.

Is any airline offering to protect a promotion fare where you do a voluntary change?
Is not being able to travel due to government and other travel restrictions actually voluntary (for the individual impatcted)?
Old Feb 7, 21, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by babyg_wc View Post
I assume there was reward availalbity? I wasn't able to move LHR-DXB that got downgraded unless there was reward availability,
No, there was no reward availability on my preferred flight/date. The agent didn't even mention it and proceeded with rebooking immediately.
Old Feb 7, 21, 11:16 am

Is not being able to travel due to government and other travel restrictions actually voluntary (for the individual impatcted)?
Not really in that sense. However, there are two issues here, preserving the value of your booking so you are not out of pocket, and preserving a right to rebook whilst continuing to benefit from a special promotional fare.

Fortunately during the current situation BA (and other airlines) have provided for vouchers which allow the value to be preserved. However, I am not aware of any airline which allows preservation of a special fare in the case where a flight hasn't been cancelled?
Old Feb 7, 21, 12:18 pm

That is certainly voluntary. Why do you consider it to a risk of the airline that you are not allowed to travel? Sorry, but that has very little to do with BA and there is no merits to asking BA to protect your favorable Avios ticket.

Anyway, rest assured that there will be several opportunities later to use your Avios with significant saving like the 50% off offer.
Old Feb 7, 21, 12:29 pm

Sadly for me, BA doesn't even preserve the value of a cancelled flight.

My 50% avios 241 to San Diego was cancelled in December, rebooked to Easter and cancelled again the other day. Since it started off last May as a Edinburgh to London City (that was cancelled, so FTV'd to preserve my 241) BA say I have to travel by this May. Would love to see the family in the US then, but just can't see it being permitted.

What I can't understand is why they didn't issue a new ticket when the FTV was used to book the 50% avios deal, to and from a totally different set of locations!

And while I keep hearing that BA can mark tickets as INVOL and extend beyond the year, I can't find anyone who'd do that!

It would be nice to have some recognition that I've been happy for BA to have my cash for a year, but it looks like a full refund - thanks to the cancellation - and lose the 241. Not going to FTV again!

And, to be frank, with the high fees, taxes and surcharges to the US - cash from Inverness looks a better deal than a 100% avios redemption. Nectar is now my saviour!
Old Feb 7, 21, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post

The issue I have is that I handed over the cash because of the offer and if that is no longer being offered to me I will be out of pocket as I wont be fully refunded and it is not in the spirit of voluntary

i put my faith in it going ahead and in BA to help them in a time of cash flow issues.

Rightly or wrongly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Feb 7, 21, 1:53 pm

The issue I have is that I handed over the cash because of the offer and if that is no longer being offered to me I will be out of pocket as I wont be fully refunded and it is not in the spirit of voluntary

i put my faith in it going ahead and in BA to help them in a time of cash flow issues.

Rightly or wrongly it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Fair enough. I must admit I have a different view, and I had booked a few flights under this offer some of which I have had to voluntarily cancel since. Personally I do not believe when BA do a promotion it is a guarantee that you can take flights, certainly I hoped I could but it seems my view was too optimistic. At the moment any bookings for international travel for at least the rest of this year should be made with a view my trip might not go ahead - entry requirements in the UK and elsewhere are changing so quickly it is impossible to have any certainty of travel for now. I feel comfortable making non refundable bookings as I know I can at least get a FTV if I can't travel. I will try and take advantage of sales, but if it doesn't work out I will move on, there are always new sales in the future. As I say, just my own view, and I appreciate yours may be different.
RockyRobin and routeone like this.

Search this Thread