Changing 50% Avios Flights

Old Jan 22, 21, 8:49 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 9,299
...or just wait for the next BA 50% off sale.
SK AAR is online now  
Old Jan 22, 21, 8:52 am
  #62  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite
Posts: 9,299
Originally Posted by source05 View Post
21.01 : Called the EC in Germany, and the lady after checking my booking rules told me I can postpone without additional charges or Avios until Oct 7 2021 ( my ticket was issued Oct 7 2020) in the same travel class, must be same routing and I must have completed the journey by Oct 7. As I would postpone it so far away there must also be redemption availibility in the booking class.
The agent was wrong about that (when one of your flights were cancelled)
At least the agent seemed to allow rebooking beyond 30 June for Avios 50% off ticket; which is in your favour.
SK AAR is online now  
Old Jan 22, 21, 9:17 am
  #63  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 50
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I think all you can do is wait for CR to see if they will do something here. A refund for a cancellation is an appropriate remedy, and at least you haven't lost out in that respect. The other remedy would be to be rebooked to the next available flight, currently on 15 February. The rest however is down to BA's guidelines, which BA can amend or cancel as it wishes.
Thank you for the reply.I will see what they come back and say in response. Can I just confirm, even though I took up the option to re-book when I was notified my flights were cancelled by BA, BA are able to just cancel the tickets instead?
Scotsgirl is offline  
Old Jan 22, 21, 9:41 am
  #64  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 57,611
Originally Posted by Scotsgirl View Post
Thank you for the reply.I will see what they come back and say in response. Can I just confirm, even though I took up the option to re-book when I was notified my flights were cancelled by BA, BA are able to just cancel the tickets instead?
This is one of two remedies that applies under EC261, the other is rebooking on the next available flight. You can insist on your preferences of these outcomes. There is a third outcome under EC261 which is rebooking at a later flight, it there are seats available, and of course BA would be at liberty to say that 50% Avios seats are not available. So that third remedy exists if it is jointly agreed to some degree, not that the Regulation actually puts it like that. I don't believe you have an overwhelming case to be rebooked on a flight in say May if BA says no, but you may have some grounds on other points of contract law or the Consumer Rights Act. BA can say no to a booking in October.

No point discussing legal points with CR, incidentally, they are not deeply trained in EC261 or contract law. But you can require a rebooking to the next flight.

But yes, waiting to the next sale / Avios discount period may be the pragmatic answer, particularly in the present circumstances. Airlines are fantastic at brainwashing passengers into thinking they have got a stonking deal, never to be repaeated, but it's rarely true.
Scotsgirl and ENTP like this.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Jan 22, 21, 10:42 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 1,137
I would just like to report the following success.

Booked 30th January LHR to BKK via 50% Avios.

Phoned and changed on the phone to 31st October without charge or a fuss. I was calling on behalf of my father who fails to qualify for Blue.

This was a J booking.
kingcole974 is offline  
Old Jan 28, 21, 8:25 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: LHR
Programs: BAEC Gold (Gifted, native Silver)
Posts: 267
Another success. 50% offer (combined with 2-4-1) J TATL booked for March cancelled.

Rebooked via gold line to September without extra Avios charge or any fuss. Call took from ringing to completion just 8 minutes.

Even better it's an A350 with the new club suites, so now it's now a case of which seats to go for. And just hope the travel restrictions have gone by then!
Keystone is online now  
Old Jan 28, 21, 11:12 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 231
Cancelled Hong Kong trip for Feb rebooked to August, no further Avios asked for and revoked into a revenue fare due to lack of availability
victairinternational is offline  
Old Jan 28, 21, 11:36 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bath, UK
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 969
I called today re a cancelled PUJ flight in March using a 50% off and 2-4-1 voucher. My original 2-4-1 was due to expire in April 2021. One of the options given today was a FTV and the lady advised that as of today the validity of the FTV and the 2-41 would now be extended until the 30th April 2023!
babyg_wc likes this.
wijibintheair is online now  
Old Feb 1, 21, 1:55 pm
  #69  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by wijibintheair View Post
I called today re a cancelled PUJ flight in March using a 50% off and 2-4-1 voucher. My original 2-4-1 was due to expire in April 2021. One of the options given today was a FTV and the lady advised that as of today the validity of the FTV and the 2-41 would now be extended until the 30th April 2023!
Im in a very similar predicament (due to fly out to Japan end of April from Heathrow). My 2-4-1 expires Sep-21 and I doubt Japan will be open for business in 2021. The question is, if I change the dates of travel to Sep-21 (prior to the expiry of the 2-4-1 voucher), will I have to lump up the additional 75k of avios to cover the difference?

I know a few previous posts have suggested this should be an issue, but Im curious as to how itll work when you add the 2-4-1 to the equation.
routeone is offline  
Old Feb 1, 21, 2:50 pm
  #70  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dublin/UK/SPAIN
Programs: BA Gold. EI GoldCircle
Posts: 784
My SA flight was cancelled the other day and I called you first.

booked using 2-4-1 with 50% avios on 9th of Oct 2020 and the agent said she can move me to any flight as long as there are seats in the class (not avios availability) but travel must be complete by 9th of Oct 2021 and no charge unless a tax change

Are we now say that the 1 year rule no longer applies as we are struggling to put dates together for September/October for 2-3weeks
routeone likes this.
HarryBA is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 3:02 am
  #71  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: UK
Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Posts: 2,159
Just off the phone with You First who stated that my SCL flight, cancelled by BA for travel in April could only be re booked to fly by end of June 2021 due 50% Avios.

I have restricted leave dates so had hoped to move to end of October and fly to SCL then or perhaps to reroute entirely and fly to Asia in December.

The suggestion by Your First was to wait and see what else may transpire!! I was happy to do this given the limited options available today.

Realistically I really only have a week at the end of Oct to travel and over Christmas and would happily book for those dates if that were allowed.

Is there a definitive rule on this or it simply a case that BA guidelines, as provided today, are currently the only option? From reading this thread those that have succeeded in moving flights to later in the year have been lucky rather than covered by a specific policy. Is that a fair interpretation?

The 50% avios sale does seem to be creating some confusion not least among BA staff.
binman is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 3:16 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by binman View Post
Just off the phone with You First who stated that my SCL flight, cancelled by BA for travel in April could only be re booked to fly by end of June 2021 due 50% Avios.

I have restricted leave dates so had hoped to move to end of October and fly to SCL then or perhaps to reroute entirely and fly to Asia in December.

The suggestion by Your First was to wait and see what else may transpire!! I was happy to do this given the limited options available today.

Realistically I really only have a week at the end of Oct to travel and over Christmas and would happily book for those dates if that were allowed.

Is there a definitive rule on this or it simply a case that BA guidelines, as provided today, are currently the only option? From reading this thread those that have succeeded in moving flights to later in the year have been lucky rather than covered by a specific policy. Is that a fair interpretation?

The 50% avios sale does seem to be creating some confusion not least among BA staff.
I had a similar exchange with a BA agent this week when discussing my predicament.

The issue seems to surround the expiration of the 50% Avios offer. Back when I took advantage of said offer in October 2020, flights had to be completed prior to the end of June 2021 (possible July 2021 - definitely one of the two!). Now that people like myself are looking to rebook fights which are scheduled to depart in the next 1-3 months to later into 2021, it appears as though this would nullify the original 50% avios offer.

I was told by the BA agent that should I wish to change dates on my CW booking (using a 2-4-1 CV) from April 2021 to October 2021, Id have to stump up the difference in avios (I.e. another 75k). This is because the dates fall outside of the original 50% avios offer.

I know a few people in this thread have been informed that they can rebook their 50% avios flights up to 1 year in advance from their initial departure date, without having to stump up extra avios, but I wonder whether this is due these bookings being First Class and therefore have a greater degree of flexibility vs say Club World or lower class bookings? Just a thought.
routeone is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 3:24 pm
  #73  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,246
CV flights, Singapore in First. 50% offer.
June, moved to Sept in MMB. 5.60 refund.
PGberkshire is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 3:44 pm
  #74  
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by PGberkshire View Post
CV flights, Singapore in First. 50% offer.
June, moved to Sept in MMB. 5.60 refund.
Again, another case of First class seats having more flexibility (i.e. being moved to a date beyond the original 50% avios offer of June 2021).

Has anyone had similar joy on tickets booked that were not First class?
routeone is offline  
Old Feb 3, 21, 5:39 pm
  #75  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LCY / LHR / ZRH / JNB
Programs: BA
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by routeone View Post
Has anyone had similar joy on tickets booked that were not First class?
None of my first class 50% redemptions for cancelled routes are movable beyond the original promo date. Not particularly bothered as they are refundable due to the cancellation. And, not hugely surprised they are cancelled.

But does seem a rather pointless and costly exercise on BAs part. Presumably there is a non-zero cost to issuing redemption tickets and then cancelling and refunding flights, and I cant really see the benefit the exercise has given the the airline.
Thomathy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread