Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I've had a 2for1 booking in first to Beijing in June cancelled. Am I right in thinking that I could change the booking to a different destination in the same zone with only a recalculation of taxes/fees? If I did change destination am I limited to dates where there's reward availability whereas if I stuck with Beijing I could pick any date on which there were still free seats?
Old May 19, 2021, 11:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by apcd2
I've had a 2for1 booking in first to Beijing in June cancelled. Am I right in thinking that I could change the booking to a different destination in the same zone with only a recalculation of taxes/fees? If I did change destination am I limited to dates where there's reward availability whereas if I stuck with Beijing I could pick any date on which there were still free seats?
Yes if you change to anywhere in the same zone that is a standard change which is allowed for a reward booking. You would need reward availability.

The allowance for no cost involuntary changes without regard to reward availability is only for the original destination or one within 300-350 miles.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I'm in the same boat - was told by BA:
- Changing dates to within the 1 year ticket validity is not possible as route is suspended until 31 October (so no availability until then)
- Changing dates to outside the 1 year ticket validity involves re-pricing and re-calculation
- Changing destination would be re-pricing (ie. more avios) and calculation of taxes/fees as BA does not fly to another airport within 300 miles (ICN/PVG are around 600)
- Changing carrier is not permitted

MMB allows me to search for new dates outside ticket validity but errors out on final screen when confirming.
Basically FTV or refund are the only options.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by BA707
- Changing dates to within the 1 year ticket validity is not possible as route is suspended until 31 October (so no availability until then)
- Changing dates to outside the 1 year ticket validity involves re-pricing and re-calculation
- Changing destination would be re-pricing (ie. more avios) and calculation of taxes/fees as BA does not fly to another airport within 300 miles (ICN/PVG are around 600)

MMB allows me to search for new dates outside ticket validity but errors out on final screen when confirming.
So even changing to another destination in the same zone (much of the US for example) would require repricing and you'd lose the benefit of the 50% avios sale?
Old May 19, 2021, 12:24 pm

So even changing to another destination in the same zone (much of the US for example) would require repricing and you'd lose the benefit of the 50% avios sale?
yes, this is standard reward booking rules. i am afraid cancellations don't give you the ability to change to any destination within the same zone at no cost and without regard to reward availability.
Old May 19, 2021, 12:31 pm

Yes correct, unless it's within 300 miles but BA don't operate to another destination that meets this criteria.
The US example was someone who got lucky - not policy and shouldn't be expected.
Old May 19, 2021, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, this is standard reward booking rules. i am afraid cancellations don't give you the ability to change to any destination within the same zone at no cost and without regard to reward availability.
Well that's annoying. Guess there's no option but to just hang on until just before the year from original booking is up and cross our fingers. I can't see any benefit in doing anything earlier than that?
Old May 19, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat

Last I saw was that this can be changed to LH/LX into a revenue booking until 30th June (it may have been extended now but I can’t find the rules on the trade support website now). Assuming you are able to travel to China and intend to do so then I would call up and ask to be changed to LH instead.

I have confirmed this since my business partners 50% off PKX-NCL F was cancelled at the end of February and last month they confirmed that I can switch to an LX A Fare. At the time there was nothing from PEK so I got a manager to approve a change to LX A from PVG (this was an exception I believe) and put a note in my booking. I will have to take advantage of this soon as she will be flying back in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed that this is still an option for her.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Rebooking to LH/LX is only available to certain markets/destinations. This was mention in this thread or the general Covid-19 schedule change/cancellation thread not too long time ago.
Old May 19, 2021, 2:45 pm

Well that's annoying. Guess there's no option but to just hang on until just before the year from original booking is up and cross our fingers. I can't see any benefit in doing anything earlier than that?
Wouldn't we need to claim a FTV 24h before (original) departure?
Old May 19, 2021, 2:49 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Rebooking to LH/LX is only available to certain markets/destinations. This was mention in this thread or the general Covid-19 schedule change/cancellation thread not too long time ago.
Yes but China is (or was) definitely included.

Wouldn't we need to claim a FTV 24h before (original) departure?
You can’t no-show for a non-existent flight. In this case you can just hold on and the ticket will stay alive and then you can make changes later down the line.
Old May 19, 2021, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR
i believe route restrictions have been removed now.
Old May 20, 2021, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
One last question. The Beijing flights are currently scheduled to begin again at the end of October but without any first class. If we rebooked in business (and were ultimately able to travel) what downgrade 'compensation' would we be eligible for? Just the fare difference or 75% of everything as per EC261/2004?
Old May 21, 2021, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC
Hello - in reading through this and the other Covid thread, am I right in thinking that as long as I notify BA to put my cancelled flights booking 'on hold' (LHR-DXB 30/05-11/06) I don't have to make a decision on a refund or re-booking before 30/05? i.e. I can wait and see how the situation unfolds with UAE and restrictions over the Summer before making a decision? Or have I completely misunderstood (entirely possible!!)
Old May 24, 2021, 6:26 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I changed my 50% discount avios F ticket to ORD from May to Sep. I would like to inquire if the new booking will get any tier points and avios or it is still going to be treated as avios booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.