Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Bronze
It’s very strange how there’s such variation in other people’s experiences in changing their 50% avios booking. I’ve got an involuntary change due to a cancellation on BA27 on the 29th of this month, and yet, when I try to change it online, the outbound says that there is no availability whatever the day I have picked. I seem to tick all the boxes (rebooking within a year, involuntary change) but it doesn’t allow me to rebook at all. Very curious as to what the limitations are to this.
heronb and remaxmac like this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk PharmacistTakeaway and welcome to the BA forum.

If this is a recently cancelled service BA27 to HKG then it may need a few days before MMB works for you. But if you are trying to book before June 2021 then you should be able to call up for that. If it's after June then I would leave it until either MMB works for you or BA perhaps changes policy.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA
I have a similar issue, involuntary cancellation attempting to rebook to where there is availability. It’s the first leg NCL to LHR which is “cancelled” but the dates I pick don’t work?
Im thinking it may be because of the connection?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:34 pm

I’ve tried dates in June without success.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 2:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by heronb
I have a similar issue, involuntary cancellation attempting to rebook to where there is availability. It’s the first leg NCL to LHR which is “cancelled” but the dates I pick don’t work?
Im thinking it may be because of the connection?
Yes, the connection aspect can be problematic on MMB rebooking. That probably won't clear either, so you'd need to call up.
heronb likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 5:24 pm
dnw

Despite what the recorded messages as you hold might say MMB does not correctly honour the coronavirus rebooking policy for cancelled flights.

Example- I have a MEX/CUN open jaw departing next week for which the return CUN leg has been cancelled. I want to rebook for Easter (fat chance I know but hey, optimism is a positive thing) but MMB will show “no availability” for the outbound F leg even when choosing dates with F award availability.

Whatever the diversionary hold messages might say, BA has not updated MMB rebook logic to honour the Covid rebooking policy that has been in place for what, 9 months now?

You have to call exercise your full rebooking rights.

FWIW this is not limited to award bookings, the same applies to revenue IME.

Once you get through, the call centre will rebook you without question to dates MMB refuses to.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC: Gold Guest List
GUF2

Quick query...

Should applying my GUF2 to an existing 50% off Avios sale J booking (LHR-LAX) using an Amex 241 mean paying the full Avios cost of 137,500 rather than the 68,750 I paid originally during the booking process. (one direction is peak, and one is off peak)

I’ve messaged BA on Twitter and also spoken to YouFirst too who both agree that the extra Avios shouldn’t have been taken and they’ve sent it off for processing to be corrected - but I’m not convinced the extra Avios now taken will be refunded. They have sent it back to be looked at - but I’m 8 weeks in and it hasn’t been adjusted yet - i realise that they’re busy however.!

Would appreciate your thoughts.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
When did you apply the GUF exactly? Did they say anything when you called to apply?

My own thoughts would be any change to these bookings beyond the end of the promotion booking window, including GUFs or UuA, does lead to a recalculation of taxes/fees/charges and avios. So I would have expected extra avios to be charged if you apply a GUF now. However, if you manage to get it credited back that would be a good result.
Swadbus likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:52 am

As a data point I called the lovely ladies this morning and pushed my March flight to Nov. Smooth and simple, no issues.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 5:57 am

As a data point I called the lovely ladies this morning and pushed my March flight to Nov. Smooth and simple, no issues.
but were you charged the additional 50% avios? Or did they (correctly) recognise it an invol change for rebooking withing 12 months of issue?
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Housekeeping notice

FYI, a link to this thread has now been added to the BA Forum COVID-19 Dashboard, in case you ever need to come back to this discussion.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
but were you charged the additional 50% avios? Or did they (correctly) recognise it an invol change for rebooking withing 12 months of issue?
No additional Avios or charges.
GBOAC likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club - Bronze
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk PharmacistTakeaway and welcome to the BA forum.

If this is a recently cancelled service BA27 to HKG then it may need a few days before MMB works for you. But if you are trying to book before June 2021 then you should be able to call up for that. If it's after June then I would leave it until either MMB works for you or BA perhaps changes policy.
Many thanks for the welcome C-W-S, and apologies that my first post wasn't too helpful.

Hopefully I can add a data point to this discussion as it has been rectified now. I never managed to make the change through MMB, however, I did manage to get through to someone on Twitter who changed the booking to within a year of booking without increasing the Avios needed, and (seemingly) recognised it as an involuntary change.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by KARFA
When did you apply the GUF exactly? Did they say anything when you called to apply?

My own thoughts would be any change to these bookings beyond the end of the promotion booking window, including GUFs or UuA, does lead to a recalculation of taxes/fees/charges and avios. So I would have expected extra avios to be charged if you apply a GUF now. However, if you manage to get it credited back that would be a good result.
I asked the Twitter team to apply the GUF2 to the booking on 28/10 (just after the 50% sale ended as seat availability opened up for my existing dates in First) - they did this no problem and sent it off to be processed.

07/11 BA then took the extra 68,750 Avios. I have made contact several times via DM on Twitter but any Avios refund correction hasn’t appeared or “we have taken it correctly and our Twitter team and YouFirst are mistaken” hasn’t been forthcoming either, I’m kinda just sitting waiting in limbo - fully aware that the phone lines are still very busy for people with greater needs than mine.

I have DM’d Twitter multiple times, and called YouFirst once as well - who gave the same answer of we have sent it off to be fixed but it’s still not been dealt with.

Interestingly, the Twitter team didn’t tell me that the Avios amount would be recalculated for the booking as a result of the GUF2 being applied and that there would be an additional Avios liability - which would have been a reasonable thing to point out to me - but perhaps my error for not asking.

Fingers crossed for that Avios refund then! - I get that there are other people way ahead of me in line though. Perhaps 2.5 months of waiting is me not being patient enough?
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:58 am

No additional Avios or charges.
Like you, have changed multiple 50% avios bookings to future dates without any additional avios charge - the only limiting factor was the expiry date of the BOGOF voucher used in the bookings, MMB would limit my outbound travel date as a consequence. In all instances I've received partial cash refunds, presumably due FX rate movement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.