Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2021, 3:29 am

Just to follow up, flights now changed, no avios availability needed. It took a couple of calls in the end, but just glad that we were finally able to move our flights to end of September. The agent did say we need to complete our return by mid October (date of booking), although we would be back by then, so no major issue. No additional avios needed and new ticket sent over within the hour.

Just a big thank you to everyone here, as without your advice and this thread, I probably would have just accepted the initial rejection that the flights could not be moved without paying change fee/ additional avios
Old May 15, 2021, 3:34 am

Having successfully changed 3 I am now at the last hurdle.

MAN-LHR-BOS. the Manchester is cancelled

Can I rebook MAN-LR in August and the LHR_BOS at a later date? does the later date have to be before the October cut off?

Thanks
Old May 17, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Gold
Currently booked on LHR-PKX in F for later this month which has been cancelled. Route appears to be suspended until 31st October with no availability in all classes until then.
Have spoken to the Gold line and the agent advised the ticket validity rule (from date of booking - not issue) would still apply which means effectively losing the 50% promotion as a FTV would be the only option. Changing carrier or destination (regardless of banding) would not be possible.

Has anyone had any luck changing a flight past the ticket validity where it's been impossible to fly prior?
Is there any way for BA to extend the ticket validity?

TIA
Old May 17, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by BA707
Currently booked on LHR-PKX in F for later this month which has been cancelled. Route appears to be suspended until 31st October with no availability in all classes until then.
Have spoken to the Gold line and the agent advised the ticket validity rule (from date of booking - not issue) would still apply which means effectively losing the 50% promotion as a FTV would be the only option. Changing carrier or destination (regardless of banding) would not be possible.

Has anyone had any luck changing a flight past the ticket validity where it's been impossible to fly prior?

TIA
Few comments here:
- FTV is not the only option. If there is no flight, you can take a full refund which means cash in the bank and Avios on your account.
- There have been a few lucky ones who managed to get past the 12 months, but it's most likely a mistake from agents and not something you should expect.
- If there is a way, BA are not willing to budge on this officially. Again it may happen by luck but it isn't their official policy.
Old May 17, 2021, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by alex67500
Few comments here:
- FTV is not the only option. If there is no flight, you can take a full refund which means cash in the bank and Avios on your account.
- There have been a few lucky ones who managed to get past the 12 months, but it's most likely a mistake from agents and not something you should expect.
- If there is a way, BA are not willing to budge in this officially. Again it may happen by luck but isn't their official policy.
Thanks - I forgot to note that a 241 was used and will have expired by now (even with the various extensions) so a FTV would keep it alive. Might give it another go otherwise just bite the bullet T-24.
alex67500 likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Having successfully changed 3 I am now at the last hurdle.

MAN-LHR-BOS. the Manchester is cancelled

Can I rebook MAN-LR in August and the LHR_BOS at a later date? does the later date have to be before the October cut off?

Thanks
Last week I tried to change a 241 return from LAX to MAN on 28/4/22. Couldn't do it because the Manchester flight would be on 29/4/22 and the ticket validity was up to 28/4/22. This wasnt a 50% off ticket. Full Avios.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:34 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by LucyK1806
Last week I tried to change a 241 return from LAX to MAN on 28/4/22. Couldn't do it because the Manchester flight would be on 29/4/22 and the ticket validity was up to 28/4/22. This wasnt a 50% off ticket. Full Avios.
I thought only the first segment had to be flown within 1 year, but subsequent ones were fine for another 12 months.
Old May 17, 2021, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
I thought only the first segment had to be flown within 1 year, but subsequent ones were fine for another 12 months.
I think it depends on who you get!

I was doing it via the Twitter team, first person never mentioned it was a problem, then someone else came back later and said I couldn't do it because of the validity.

Was then going to cancel the whole thing for a FTV and rebook but when I went to MMB the flights I wanted were showing. So I then called and the agent advised they were outwith the validity and I would have to cancel and rebook if I wanted my dates. So cancelled whilst on the phone to her and she rebooked everything for me. It was exhausting!
Old May 17, 2021, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by BA707

TIA
Had LHR-SYD booked in 50% sale with 241 for Mar 21, was cancelled along with all flights upto 1st Nov 21. Kept an eye on MMB and in Feb 21 up popped flights out in Dec 21 back in Feb 22, so can be done.
LucyK1806 and BA707 like this.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The general consensus in this thread is that it can be done online/in MMB but the issue is that often you will not be able to rebook in MMB following a cancellation and calling BA is the only way to get rebooked, i.e. you can’t get rebooked beyond 1 year of ticket issue.
andys84 likes this.
Old May 18, 2021, 2:26 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Help Please, My Head Hurts!

I have a booking made during the 50% Avios sale that was originally for LHR:PHX on May 25 and PHX:LHR on June 16, both sectors in First.
The current state of the booking is that I'm scheduled to fly LHR:PHX on June 29 in F but the return on July 23 is in Club.

I am wondering what Avios refund I should get, here are the sums involved:
LHR-PHX return First 85,000. One way 42,500.
LHR-PHX return Club 62,500. One way 31,250.

When it comes the number of refunded Avios will it be 11,250 (42,500-31,250) or if the EU Reg 261 applies should it be 75% of the one way fare of 42,500 which would be 31,875? Also, if I can go the EU Reg 261 route am I right in thinking I have to claim that after I have completed both sectors?
Old May 18, 2021, 3:41 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by SK AAR
The general consensus in this thread is that it can be done online/in MMB but the issue is that often you will not be able to rebook in MMB following a cancellation and calling BA is the only way to get rebooked, i.e. you can’t get rebooked beyond 1 year of ticket issue.
agreed 100%
Old May 18, 2021, 3:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by johnaalex
When it comes the number of refunded Avios will it be 11,250 (42,500-31,250) or if the EU Reg 261 applies should it be 75% of the one way fare of 42,500 which would be 31,875? Also, if I can go the EU Reg 261 route am I right in thinking I have to claim that after I have completed both sectors?
You can only claim the EC261 reimbursement after completing travel on the PNR, after all things may change and if you don't fly at all a different logic applies. But it is based on what you actually paid. Before travel BA will repay the difference based on whatever logic they choose, probably based on the 50% offer in both cabins, It's not clear from your post what you actually paid and then Mennens can be claimed thereafter. See the EC261 thread and wiki.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can only claim the EC261 reimbursement after completing travel on the PNR, after all things may change and if you don't fly at all a different logic applies. But it is based on what you actually paid. Before travel BA will repay the difference based on whatever logic they choose, probably based on the 50% offer in both cabins, It's not clear from your post what you actually paid and then Mennens can be claimed thereafter. See the EC261 thread and wiki.
Thanks for this, for the sake of clarity I paid 85,000 Avios.
Old May 18, 2021, 5:15 am

What's the deal with a cancelled 50% Avios booking if it looks as though the booking has never been ticketed?

Just noticed that whilst we're due to depart in 2 weeks, there is no ticket number in the app.

Will they be able to to ticket it and then work on potential re-routing for a future date, or do changes need to have been accepted to issue the original ticket? Also if they ticket it now, then does that mean that BA should be able to select alternative dates up to one year from when the ticket is issued (or will they try to claim it's from the booking date?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.