Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Harchy
So I can cancel myself and get taxes and points back, minus £35 cancellation fee?
But you'd be better off waiting until, say 7 days before departure, on the likely chance BA canced. It seems some long-haul destinations are cancelled about 3-4 weeks out.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC
Hello, am I missing something on the options around these 50% flights? I rebooked a reward flight to DXB during the promotion for May 21 to get the 50% deal, and just noticed loads of F availability released. I was thinking of extending my DXB stay in lieu of other recent cancellations, so changed the inbound date for a week later, and on the re-booking page, I am being asked to pay £18 tax increase only, no mention of additional avios - is it really that simple and flexible to change these flights?
Will100 likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Will100
I’ll try the desktop version.

I just wanted to see if it will allow changes past June as a May trip to LA is dodgy at best.
It seems to be allowing changes to any off peak date, including past June. 😎
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Can someone please confirm that I have the correct interpretation for the following

Flight details booked with an FTV in the 50% Avios sale 7/10/20 using 2-4-1 now expires Apr 2022 all in Club - Avios from original booking giving the FTV redeposited back to BAEC then new Avios needed debited.

NCL-LHR 23 Feb Cxld by BA (rebooked by BA to 22nd Feb)
LHR-MCO 23 Feb Cxld by BA(no rebooking)
MCO-LHR-NCL 30 Mar still operational

I have not confirmed anything about the changes to BA , MMB is not an option so will need to phone BA to amend/cancel.

I think I can do one of the following:-

1. Cancel for full refund or take another FTV
2. Rebook the same journey with travel to be completed by 30th June with no extra Avios needed + possible smallchange in taxes
3 Rebook the same journey with travel to be completed by 7th October under commercial policy as per Karfa's #11 post if that is still current - with a question as to whether extra Avios need to be paid.

Rebooking would be Off Peak to Off Peak and very unlikely that Avios seats wouldn't be available. All travel subject to the rules andregulations of the countries concerned.

Last edited by Brighterside; Feb 18, 2021 at 12:31 am
Old Feb 18, 2021, 12:56 am

Wanted to change my 50% booking on a 241 to YUL from June to early 2022. Ticket validity rules meant I could only change online until October 2021. Called up 3 times and spoke to 3 people and the answer was the same. Only way around the ticket validity is to convert to a FTV and rebook, but that meant I would have to pay the extra Avios.

Not going to travel in June so went ahead but gutted I lost the 50% discount.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by sjoh1271
Not going to travel in June so went ahead but gutted I lost the 50% discount.
Rest assured that there will be other Avios 50%-off sales...
Old Feb 18, 2021, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Rest assured that there will be other Avios 50%-off sales...
Would just be my luck, anyone remember from last time if they would give you the 50% Avios back? I guess could always cancel it back to a FTV and then rebook... but what happens to the leftover Avios on the FTV, would they credit it back? e.g. cancel for a FTV with 100k Avios embedded and then make a new booking for only 50k Avios...
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:49 am

So if it's BA that cancelled my 50% Avios flight (they rebooked, but it doesn't work for me)... do I still need to pay the cancellation fee to get my money back?

I see little point in a FTV now that my 2-4-1 has been extended to the end of the year anyway.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 4:52 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RG1X
So if it's BA that cancelled my 50% Avios flight (they rebooked, but it doesn't work for me)... do I still need to pay the cancellation fee to get my money back?

I see little point in a FTV now that my 2-4-1 has been extended to the end of the year anyway.
if you have a cancellation and you did not actively accept the rebooking, then yes you can get a full refund and not pay the cancellation fee.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
if you have a cancellation and you did not actively accept the rebooking, then yes you can get a full refund and not pay the cancellation fee.
Cheers, I might as well do that then.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 4:46 am

Hoping that either of my May outbond to HKG or June return from SIN get cancelled. Problem is the singapore return is on one of the rotations that is currently regularly being operated at the moment... (not sure whether it is with pax or just freight though....) I'm thinking that long haul asia routes are normally cancelled at about 3-4 week out.

Quick question on the 'one year ticket validity'; I converted an existing 2-4-1 reward flight during the 50% off sale (it went to an FTV then back to a new booking). This was mid-October, however the new booking wasn't actually ticketed until early November (when I got the confirmation email and payment (slight tax refund) ). Does that mean my validity is from the start of November (meaning I can rebook for any time up to early nov 21)?

Obviously all dependent on one leg being cancelled
Old Feb 19, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, actual ticket date matters (not the date of reservation being made)
GBOAC likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 3:21 pm
GBT

Programs: BAEC Gold
Update.....

Originally Posted by GBT
Have LON - LAX in F, return CHS in J booked for April. Original booking date Oct ‘20
Obviously CHS cancelled so phoned BA asking to move LAX flight to OCT 21 and my options for the return - was told only Atlanta to replace CHS and there had to be reward availability for LAX F (which there is not) and then when they realised it was from the 50% sale, said it also had to be before end June 21.
I tried quoting the advice from FT but to no avail. He said he knew the rules as had a similar situation a few days before and had checked with his supervisor.
So any advice would be greatly appreciated
Tried again today via My First and just asked my options - was told 1. Refund 2. Voucher. 3. Change my dates to anytime within ticket validity ie outbound flight before Oct 9th - no mention of Reward Availability needed (kept thinking he would suddenly realise it was from the 50% sale), so went ahead and changed to beginning of Oct - return option only Atlanta (300 mile rule - couldn’t persuade him to allow Orlando) as original was CHS so booked that for end of Oct ....... very happy !
Whether flights will happen by then who knows - but as he said, far more likely than April as he thinks USA will shortly be on the ‘red list’.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: Executive Club
BA have just cancelled my South Africa flights - 241, 50% - scheduled for end of April.

Just been online and looks like it's going to let me change without a fee or extra avios for flights in December, longer than both the June cut-off for these sale tickets, as some have mentioned here, and the year from ticket booking (Oct '20).

Unsure whether to rebook or refund - any thoughts?
routeone likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Harchy
BA have just cancelled my South Africa flights - 241, 50% - scheduled for end of April.

Just been online and looks like it's going to let me change without a fee or extra avios for flights in December, longer than both the June cut-off for these sale tickets, as some have mentioned here, and the year from ticket booking (Oct '20).

Unsure whether to rebook or refund - any thoughts?
I suspect that this may error out if you were to try and complete it. I have just changed my flights on the phone and was told explicitly that the outbound had to be taken within a year of purchase (I.e. October). No need for reward availability and no additional Avios required, now I just need the borders to reopen, quarantine to be abandoned and RSA to be taken off of the red list!

wrt to your question I guess it depends on whether you need the Avios now or would like to get to South Africa for half price....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.