Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:25 am

Programs: BA GGL
I had a cancellation [route written off entirely], changed the destination and BA wanted the 50% additional Avios. I said no thanks very much, cancel. Now awaiting the long return of cash to card...
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
I had a cancellation [route written off entirely], changed the destination and BA wanted the 50% additional Avios. I said no thanks very much, cancel. Now awaiting the long return of cash to card...
Frustrating. I suspect I’ll be in a similar boat in a few weeks time.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:06 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by routeone
It looks as though BA have extended the expiration date on existing 241 CVs by another 6 months.

This should give everyone with existing bookings, such as myself, some additional flexibility as my CV was due to expire in Sep-21.
I believe this only applies to 241s expiring this year. So if you have one expiring 31 Dec 2021, it will have been extended by 6 months. If you have one on 1 Jan 2022 it will not have been extended.

Unless they later extend other 241s, assuming travel starts to pick up, there is going to be a squeeze on redemption availability early next year!
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by gms
I believe this only applies to 241s expiring this year. So if you have one expiring 31 Dec 2021, it will have been extended by 6 months. If you have one on 1 Jan 2022 it will not have been extended.

Unless they later extend other 241s, assuming travel starts to pick up, there is going to be a squeeze on redemption availability early next year!
This is correct. Only applies to CVs due to expire on or before 31 Dec 2021.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by routeone
This is correct. Only applies to CVs due to expire on or before 31 Dec 2021.
I have a Nov 22 expiry (already extended 6 months last year) and it has not been extended, so the Dec cutoff seems correct.

I sense using the voucher may be difficult during 2022 with so much pent up demand and a huge number of unused vouchers. On the other hand, with less travelling in 2020 and 2021, people's avios balance will have been growing slower (on the assumption that most avios are earned through flying rather than credit cards...!)
Personally I won't be using my avios and 2-4-1 on anything less than club world...
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by GBOAC
I have a Nov 22 expiry (already extended 6 months last year) and it has not been extended, so the Dec cutoff seems correct.

I sense using the voucher may be difficult during 2022 with so much pent up demand and a huge number of unused vouchers. On the other hand, with less travelling in 2020 and 2021, people's avios balance will have been growing slower (on the assumption that most avios are earned through flying rather than credit cards...!)
Personally I won't be using my avios and 2-4-1 on anything less than club world...
Same here.

With our flights to Tokyo in April-21 likely to be cancelled, I’ll probably just sit on the avios until another 50% offer rolls back around and take a look at available options.

It seems unlikely that popular long-haul destinations from the UK with BA (Japan, S. America, South Africa etc) are going to be worth visiting in 2021 with the prospect of hotel quarantines upon arrival etc. I’ll more than likely wait until early 2022, when hopefully the world is approaching a level of ‘normality’ with regards to tourism.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:08 am

My 2-4-1 (the one I used on the 50% Avios sale) has been extended until December. Sadly that's not going to make any difference to the tickets I currently hold, but can't use. Just fingers crossed for another offer I guess.

At least my Avios balance is relatively healthy (credit cards), but that's not going to help me retain status for 2022!
Old Feb 16, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Or BA might decide to be generous with redemption availability in an attempt to get the cash proportion of the fares. I think there would be quite a few routes where the YQ paid on a 2-4-1 would be more than the equivalent cheapest economy fares. I think it could go either way with the yield management algorithms being totally bamboozled.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver (exPPS:(, Tesco sad, FR Ł0.01
I have LHR-SIN-LHR in CW: outbound in end Feb (cancelled) and return in end June (still confirmed).
I tried to change the dates in MMB to May and Oct respectively, but system shown no availability at all for any selected dates (while reward flights availability is generally open).
Should I try change both flights at the same time, or I have to change only cancelled flight first (involuntary change)?
If then I try later to change return flight (still confirmed) - would this be considered as voluntary change for that one?
Thanks
Old Feb 16, 2021, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, second rebooking would be considered voluntary. You should be able to change also the return flights when doing the rebooking of the outbound flights
Old Feb 16, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver (exPPS:(, Tesco sad, FR Ł0.01
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yes, second rebooking would be considered voluntary. You should be able to change also the return flights when doing the rebooking of the outbound flights
Thanks.
Yes, I should be able, but system gives only ´no availability for selected dateś for any dates - even for dates before 30/6 deadline of the original promo....
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mishkira
Thanks.
Yes, I should be able, but system gives only ´no availability for selected dateś for any dates - even for dates before 30/6 deadline of the original promo....
if you check for availability just using the reward booking page is there any?
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mishkira
Call BAEC to rebook
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Or BA might decide to be generous with redemption availability in an attempt to get the cash proportion of the fares.
Apparently not. With my 50% Avios redeemed flight cancellation they wanted the extra 175,000 Avios for a rebooking elsewhere - and that was for an F-J downgrade. Requested refund, so that's four-figures fewer in BA's bankroll when some acceptance on their part would have meant otherwise.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Considered voluntary just in an online context. I presume in terms of rights to change for no extra charge, as soon as one leg is cancelled, the whole booking can be amended, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.