Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing 50% Avios Flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2021, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by HomewardTraveller
We had Tokyo flights booked for April on a Amex 241 and 50% Avios deal. Called BA on the 0800 number this morning and got straight through to a really helpful guy. He offered flights any time until next January without any worries of availability and no change fees or additional Avios...so booked for Dec. Couldn’t beat it really. He did say however that we would be charged if we wanted to change again. So we’ll done BA!
Do you know when your original 2-4-1 was due to expire? Seems like you all round hit the jackpot on this one!
Old Feb 9, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by HomewardTraveller
We had Tokyo flights booked for April on a Amex 241 and 50% Avios deal. Called BA on the 0800 number this morning and got straight through to a really helpful guy. He offered flights any time until next January without any worries of availability and no change fees or additional Avios...so booked for Dec. Couldn’t beat it really. He did say however that we would be charged if we wanted to change again. So we’ll done BA!
Tokyo in December is a really great time to visit, weather wise.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know, if a reward flight booked in October with the 50% offer to fly this May, gets cancelled - can I rebook any time (peak / off peak) on any flight with seats, and am I still limited to flights up to October this year, or will there be some flexibility booking a little further into the future?
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:53 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sb1982
Does anyone know, if a reward flight booked in October with the 50% offer to fly this May, gets cancelled - can I rebook any time (peak / off peak) on any flight with seats, and am I still limited to flights up to October this year, or will there be some flexibility booking a little further into the future?
Best to read above, a host of different experiences, based on class, agent spoken to etc.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire
Best to read above, a host of different experiences, based on class, agent spoken to etc.
Thanks - yes, seems inconsistent. Thought there might be a consensus.
What generally happens if a flight is cancelled (not automatically rebooked) and you don't rebook - let it lapse. Can I still log in, or call, to rebook the flight after the cancelled flight date has passed? (as long as the ticket is still within a year).
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:49 am

Programs: DC *S
Involuntary cancellation - Another data point

I had one of my flight legs to mco cancelled in April and rang up to try and move flight to mid september. Was on the call for 20 mins before the agent discovered she couldnt book a flight when there was no avios availability. On hold for a while and was told that unless the change is within +- 3 days, there must be avios availability. Feels like I just loaned BA 1400 quid for 5 months,lol
Old Feb 12, 2021, 9:55 am

I'd be happy enough if I could do that to be honest, as there's plenty of availability on the route I've got booked.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 8:28 am

Another data-point for the thread.

Return flight LHR to JFK booked for April 2021, three people with a 2-4-1 and 50% discounted Avios fair in CW. Had been cancelled once in December, accepted the automatic rebooking. Was cancelled again last Friday, phoned today to try and re-schedule and was told that they could only book up until 09th October (1 year from when the original booking was made). Agent suggested that I request a FTV to extend validity, but didn't mention that I obviously wouldn't be able to use this FTV for an equivalent booking as it would contain only half the Avios I'd require.

Tempted to call back and see if I could get them to book July, but I'm not convinced we'll be allowed to fly to the US for leisure purposes by then. Ho-hum.
Old Feb 13, 2021, 12:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by RG1X
Tempted to call back and see if I could get them to book July, but I'm not convinced we'll be allowed to fly to the US for leisure purposes by then. Ho-hum.
What is the value of doing that before, say, 31 March?
Old Feb 13, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hyatt Globalist
Adding my experience:

I had a 50% avios booking LHR to LAX CW return in in April, changed it to be MAN / LHR / MIA outbound Feb, inbound end of Jun for a tax difference of $80 per passenger.
- This was a direct change by me, no flight changes or cancellation to the original booking.

Worked with the social media team to get the (same) off peak CW flights, originally I was discussing an inbound in Jul. Initially BA confirmed no additional avios for adding the domestic leg just taxes. After going back and forth on twitter with some agents trying to take additional avios and change fees when I had asked for a call to collect the difference, finally landed with confirmed (again) just tax difference. When I called to pay the difference, the phone agent stated that I needed to return in June to avoid an increase in avios; I just moved the inbound flight a few days and everything was issued all okay. I would normally have pushed for concurrence with the statement of no avios on the July leg further however as its four months away, a lot can change, and with the experiences reported above, I figured i'd kick the can down the road and deal with it then.

Good luck to all who need to do the movements!
Old Feb 14, 2021, 1:51 am

Any experiences with a J-F 50% Avios upgrade? I have a LUX-LHR-SFO-LHR-BRU in May. Cash ticket with the outbound '50% Avios' upgraded to F. I don't see the trip happening and expect/hope for one of the flights to get cancelled. I understand I will be able to rebook to sometime until 1 year after my original booking date if there are seats in the booked cabin available. Will that include the J-F upgrade or will that be J if it is after June?
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What is the value of doing that before, say, 31 March?
None. I'm not planning on doing it until the week before the flight is scheduled, assuming they don't suddenly bring in another Avios sale anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A* Gold (Avianca Brazil)
Success!

Booked flights to JNB, leaving this coming weekend… Avios sale and 2 4 1 voucher..

Online was able to move to Nov this year.. Whether I travel then or not is a different matter..,.

I received the new e-ticket immediately with new e-ticket

When I try and make a changes subsequent to this, the rule restricting travel to within 365 days of original travel is applied..
Old Feb 16, 2021, 1:14 am

241 CV expiration extended by 6 months

It looks as though BA have extended the expiration date on existing 241 CVs by another 6 months.

This should give everyone with existing bookings, such as myself, some additional flexibility as my CV was due to expire in Sep-21.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:08 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by routeone
It looks as though BA have extended the expiration date on existing 241 CVs by another 6 months.
This should give everyone with existing bookings, such as myself, some additional flexibility as my CV was due to expire in Sep-21.
Yes, both mine have been extended another six months.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.