Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Old Jan 9, 2021, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: orbitmic
Complimentary offerings
Euro Traveller: water and an ambient snack (eg. cereal bar in the morning, packet of pretzels rest of the day)
Club Europe: full food and bar service

Speedbird Café
Pre-ordered food and beverage service on BA mainline short haul flights, begins 20 January 2021. Available to passengers travelling in Euro Traveller and Club Europe. Items must be be ordered online - minimum 12 hours before departure on services from London, a minimum of 24 hours from outstations. Some flights to London have a longer lead time of 30 hours - see night-stop info below.

Order online via the High Life Shop

Speedbird Café Menu

List of night-stop flights which require the longer 30 hour lead time for orders

Noteworthy information:
Pre-order only: no additional product will be loaded for sale on board and therefore no trolley service or printed menus

Crew will have new TourPOS devices for confirming delivery and taking pre-orders for future flights

Complimentary service first, then delivery of pre-orders. These will be assembled by crew - food delivered in paper bags, drinks by tray.

Not possible to earn or spend Avios on Speedbird Cafe however this option will still be available for Highlife Shop orders

Mainline only

Print Wikipost

New High Life Café catering on BA short haul routes

Old Jan 20, 2021, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Just to clarify, the Austrian deal actually arranged, while you were in transit, for the meal to be loaded onto your flight and you were served on the plane. It wasn't a kiosk offering a carry out service in the terminal.
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 9:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Any reports?
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Yes, indeed. The whole thing was supposed to kick off today. Would be interested to hear how it goes.
But are there any flights anywhere? Things don't look too good over at KLM...
Old Jan 20, 2021, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Does this portend any improvement in Club Europe catering? Got a pretty grim report a couple of weeks ago from my son who did a DUB-LHR flight and was offered a cold, hard cheese sandwich with onion. Looks like this BoB menu would be a vast improvement.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by Stripe
Does this portend any improvement in Club Europe catering? Got a pretty grim report a couple of weeks ago from my son who did a DUB-LHR flight and was offered a cold, hard cheese sandwich with onion. Looks like this BoB menu would be a vast improvement.
See COVID Friendly Catering Revealed By British Airways
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:07 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Spirit offer

Once again, as with M&S BoB offering,
by all accounts – there is again a better range of spirit miniature is available to purchase then I’ll given out in ClubEurope. QUOTE=KARFA;32961784]Hi JML89. No change for CE passengers, you would still get the full bar trolley service as now along with food. Also I think the food returns to pre-covid catering from 20 January too. No need to pre-order anything.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 21, 2021, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by SxMan
Once again, as with M&S BoB offering, by all accounts – there is again a better range of spirit miniature is available to purchase then I’ll given out in ClubEurope.
There's nothing preventing Club Europe passengers from pre-ordering items of interest from the BoB selection. I'm quite partial to the iced latte cartons and am also keen to test out one of Toms steak pies as/when my next CE flight goes ahead so I may well make a purchase. Ultimately, it's a different range. Whether it's better or not is always going to be subjective and down to personal preference.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:07 am
Suspended

Hope it's alright to BUMP this. Have seen many posts on the BA forum on the evolution of CE catering. But not so much on what's going on behind the curtain.

Any updates on the free offer, is it unchanged relative to the covid offer of the second half of last year? Perhaps somebody even had a chance to try something from the Speedbird cafe menu?

Edit: or do these questions belong in the 'modified' catering thread which is on p. 1 of the BA forum?
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
Hope it's alright to BUMP this. Have seen many posts on the BA forum on the evolution of CE catering. But not so much on what's going on behind the curtain.

Any updates on the free offer, is it unchanged relative to the covid offer of the second half of last year? Perhaps somebody even had a chance to try something from the Speedbird cafe menu?

Edit: or do these questions belong in the 'modified' catering thread which is on p. 1 of the BA forum?
The free offering is mostly unchanged. A small bottle of water and a snack. I’ve not done shorthaul in a while but delivery standards indicate there is a selection of snacks from a basket (rather than just having whatever is on offer already in a bag).
Whether this is how it currently is or how it will be post-covid is another thing.
Comatose.Captain likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Flew in ET a couple of days ago, I booked the flight on the morning of departure so was unable to preorder anything. The free offering was a bottle of water and packet of crisps (no choice), delivered without the plastic bag...thank god. One of the crew welcomed me by name (not the SCCM) and asked if I wanted anything else so I asked for a cup of tea which came in CE chinaware and was accompanied by shortbread, they topped it up throughout the flight. I asked if they knew whether the inability to ask for drinks, without preorder, would continue after COVID and they didn’t know.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Boeing77W
I asked if they knew whether the inability to ask for drinks, without preorder, would continue after COVID and they didn’t know.
Not surprised, given that BA themselves don’t even know yet! Sensibly they’re waiting to see what happens before making a rash decision.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Interesting article in The Telegraph about Sean’s desire to show BA really does mean ‘To Fly, To Serve’. According to insider reports the return of complimentary drinks is being reviewed.
drwook likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:44 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Interesting article in The Telegraph about Sean’s desire to show BA really does mean ‘To Fly, To Serve’. According to insider reports the return of complimentary drinks is being reviewed.
It’s here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/c...ck-glory-days/

The quote is:

What could be next for “the new BA”? Insiders say Doyle is considering reversing what many regard as one of Cruz’s biggest missteps: scrapping free drinks in short-haul economy in favour of paid for options. A free cup of tea in the morning and a gin and tonic in the evening could soon be back.
londonba2014 and BAeuro like this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 2:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Volare Executive / Skyteam Elite+
Originally Posted by londonba2014
It sounds sensible to position as somehow 'better' than the LCC's rather than continue a race to the bottom, introduction/plan would be interesting to see though.

Complimentary drinks like in WT & possibly a small snack (nuts/crisps) plus some more 'premium' BoB food (like pre-covid ET) might be a workable combo, avoiding full catering that half the passengers probably don't want especiallyon a 2-3hr flight but speeding up service and stopping it feeling a bit too much like flying Easyjet.

I suppose the concern would be cost/price impact with a lot of shorthaul economy travellers looking at price and route alone; but this might tip a few into "oh I can fly BA for only a few pounds more"
londonba2014 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: Confirmed
The bigger variety of SKUs, the bigger problem it is to deliver it properly. For the most noble status customers - stuff onboard are not going to be much better from the offerings in the lounges. Some of you get unlimited LPGS yet you complain about £7.60 G&T?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.