Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Negative Covid test required for everyone arriving into BA's UK mainland airports

Negative Covid test required for everyone arriving into BA's UK mainland airports

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 30, 21, 8:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: KARFA
Wiki Link
Below is a synopsis of the new mandatory pre-travel COVID testing requirements for those intending to travel to (or return to) England on or after 04:00 hours on 18 January 2021.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Pre-Departure Testing and Operator Liability) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2021
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

Coming in to force at 0400 on 15 January, requirements actually apply from 0400 on 18 January 2021
Review if the requirements at least once every 28 days, and first review due 8 February 2021
This is the law for England only, separate law for Scotland, Wales, and NI will be published in due course

Basic rules
- Applies to any person who arrives in England having begun the journey outside the CTA
- Must have on arrival a valid notification of a negative result
- Not required for children under 11
- Not required for certain people. diplomats, Crown servants, government officials, seamen, airline crew, channel tunnel workers, road haulage workers, aviation inspectors, and medical human cell/blood transporters
- Also some reasonable excuses not to have a test result, these include medically unfit to do the test (proof required), disabled to the extent they can't do a test, require urgent medical treatment, someone accompanying any of these people for support, where no test was available to the public at the origin and any transit points
- No explicit list of countries where test is not required due to lack of infrastructure
- No mention of transit, but the wording is the same as for requirement to do a PLF, so "a person who arrives in England from outside the common travel area" and a PLF is required for all transit passengers even when staying airside

Test
- Has to be a test having a sensitivity of at least 80%, a specificity of at least 97%, and a limit of detection of less than or equal to 100,000 SARS-CoV-2 copies per millilitre
- Explicitly cannot be a NHS test
- Test sample was taken no more than 3 days before the scheduled departure to England of the commercial service - no mention of whether this means origin or last connection point
- Notification of the result must include the name of the person from whom the sample was taken, date of birth or age, the negative result of the test, the date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider, the name of the test provider with contact details, the name of the device that was used for the test. This information must be in English, French, or Spanish.

Operator liability
- Must ensure passengers have completed a PLF & has a negative result when that passenger arrives at immigration in England
- So conclusion would be an operator is not going to let you board if they don't believe you have both, or you can't show you are exempt
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 21, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-i...enter-12181938

UK nationals not exempt as per earlier reports. No info as yet on when this comes into effect.
destone likes this.
Old Jan 7, 21, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB AF Silver, BA Gold
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-55582116

Airlines are now used to screen pax on departures based on predeparture requirements. My guess is that anyone without a test will be denied boarding rather than allowed to board with a 500 fine.
What is interesting is that this also applies to boat and car arrivals. It would suggest that anyone would be allowed to enter by just paying the fine. It could also be that boat and tunnel operators might deny access without the test. Will be a big mess at first.
Old Jan 7, 21, 7:00 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Bloomberg is saying the measures will be implemented from next week.
Old Jan 7, 21, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
More details from the DfT here, but the summary above is in line with the new restrictions.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...order-measures
Old Jan 7, 21, 7:30 pm

About ###### time!
Old Jan 7, 21, 9:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The latter part of the new regs is odd "There will be a limited number of exemptions, including for hauliers, children under 11, crews and for those who travelling from countries without the infrastructure available to deliver the tests." You can understand the logic, but surely such travellers should be subject to a test upon arrival?
Old Jan 7, 21, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
More details from the DfT here, but the summary above is in line with the new restrictions.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...order-measures
I know we're talking about the DfT but considering that next week is only, what, 4 days away a little bit more detail wouldn't go amiss. Things like:

1) What kind of test they want (throat-nose PCR swab, antigen, saliva, lateral flow?)
2) How do they want the results to be presented (a .pdf, an SMS, a printed proof?)
3) What kind of language they want the test in (getting a test in English in places like France-Spain-Italy-Germany-Hungary-younameit isn't as easy as getting a test in the local lingo)

Originally Posted by CKBA View Post
The latter part of the new regs is odd "There will be a limited number of exemptions, including for hauliers, children under 11, crews and for those who travelling from countries without the infrastructure available to deliver the tests." You can understand the logic, but surely such travellers should be subject to a test upon arrival?
That would be the logic way to do it and, by the way, it's what Portugal does for Madeira (and I suspect other places but I'd only checked there). But, then again, we're almost a year into this crisis, we've spent the first 5 months with no testing and no quarantine required so... baby steps. But world-beating baby steps.
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:22 am

How is this going to work for passengers using BA for transit?

Say for example Iím flying DXB-LHR-DUB, Will BA be bothered to check in DXB or is this requirement also for transit passengers? And if not, what if I flew DXB-LHR-BHD and then just drove home to DUB?
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonours, SPG, AVIS
Just had the misfortune of watching Grant Shapps on Breakfast, with a book on his library shelf, Grant Shapps ... He didn't know that the Welsh Government have said they are not looking to implement this, couldn't answer questions about transit and there was no questions about exceptions. Given that HMG have kind of accepted that children can get CV-19 and spread it, why on earth are under-11s exempt

He also thought his original ideas were better
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:30 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Well I'm due to enter the UK Sunday from France, I guess "start of the week" means Monday otherwise they may be trouble ahead...
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post

Say for example Iím flying DXB-LHR-DUB, Will BA be bothered to check in DXB or is this requirement also for transit passengers? And if not, what if I flew DXB-LHR-BHD and then just drove home to DUB?
I think all DUB flights are suspended until the 8th of Jan. Itís government organised repatriation only. NI seems to be exempt from the rules, for now and the chances of being stopped on the borer are Zero, a PLF is not required from NI. GardaŪ do have road blacks and spot checks.

I havenít seen mention of transit passengers.
andymcdonnell likes this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:43 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell View Post

Don't you need a negative covid cert to leave Dubai anyway?
Old Jan 8, 21, 2:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
I think it makes perfect sense. I would have no problem getting tested before sitting on a plane to go anywhere. It would least give me a partial feeling of safetly knowing that everyone around me recently tested negative. I hope they also test the crew as well.
Ramos likes this.
Old Jan 8, 21, 3:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
a stable door and a horse come to mind.
LCY8737, cruisr, BA1321 and 11 others like this.

Last edited by mrandery; Jan 8, 21 at 3:41 am
Old Jan 8, 21, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

And you still have to quarantine on return to the uk

Regards

Tbs
MiraculousM likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: