Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Negative Covid test required for everyone arriving into BA's UK mainland airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2021, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: KARFA
Below is a synopsis of the new mandatory pre-travel COVID testing requirements for those intending to travel to (or return to) England on or after 04:00 hours on 18 January 2021.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Pre-Departure Testing and Operator Liability) (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2021
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../contents/made

Coming in to force at 0400 on 15 January, requirements actually apply from 0400 on 18 January 2021
Review if the requirements at least once every 28 days, and first review due 8 February 2021
This is the law for England only, separate law for Scotland, Wales, and NI will be published in due course

Basic rules
- Applies to any person who arrives in England having begun the journey outside the CTA
- Must have on arrival a valid notification of a negative result
- Not required for children under 11
- Not required for certain people. diplomats, Crown servants, government officials, seamen, airline crew, channel tunnel workers, road haulage workers, aviation inspectors, and medical human cell/blood transporters
- Also some reasonable excuses not to have a test result, these include medically unfit to do the test (proof required), disabled to the extent they can't do a test, require urgent medical treatment, someone accompanying any of these people for support, where no test was available to the public at the origin and any transit points
- No explicit list of countries where test is not required due to lack of infrastructure
- No mention of transit, but the wording is the same as for requirement to do a PLF, so "a person who arrives in England from outside the common travel area" and a PLF is required for all transit passengers even when staying airside

Test
- Has to be a test having a sensitivity of at least 80%, a specificity of at least 97%, and a limit of detection of less than or equal to 100,000 SARS-CoV-2 copies per millilitre
- Explicitly cannot be a NHS test
- Test sample was taken no more than 3 days before the scheduled departure to England of the commercial service - no mention of whether this means origin or last connection point
- Notification of the result must include the name of the person from whom the sample was taken, date of birth or age, the negative result of the test, the date the test sample was collected or received by the test provider, the name of the test provider with contact details, the name of the device that was used for the test. This information must be in English, French, or Spanish.

Operator liability
- Must ensure passengers have completed a PLF & has a negative result when that passenger arrives at immigration in England
- So conclusion would be an operator is not going to let you board if they don't believe you have both, or you can't show you are exempt
Print Wikipost

Negative Covid test required for everyone arriving into BA's UK mainland airports

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2021, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by simonsmith
As some one else who is on the front line in the NHS, I could not agree more. It is simply dreadful at the moment. We had 20 plus covid deaths last weekend alone. I have all of 20 TPs since June last year and it will stay that way until it is sensible to travel again.
This is the most important point.

While i think this is a huge step in the right direction.. honestly its not about the test but its more about the fact that this will deter people from travelling who would have travelled before, taking advantage of the cheap deals and saying "f it.. i need a holiday".. We all need a holiday. Key workers need hollidays more than anyone else. Believe me, i want nothing more than to be able to go "ahh its just money", blow the majority of my pathetic savings and finally get on club world seat to a beach destination somewhere. I dream about this every day. But i will wait.

So stay at home for us. Please. We are over double the number of people (thats humans with families who care about them) dying then last Sat. The situation will get worse before it gets better. Please dont contribute to it.
flygirl68, bwaflyer, HB7 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2021, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
i dont know if this has been answered but yes. The virus takes a couple of days to show up (and you are infectious before the symptoms come up which is why you are told to self isolate for 11 days or whatever it is when you travel/ have been on contact with people). So, say you are in Spain and get the test two days beforehand to ensure you get the results. You can pick up the virus any time in those two days. You will be infectious. You get on a plane and you arent following the rules correctly (not through any sort of lack of adherence to them, but infection control when you have the virus, especially when you are sat next to someone for at least 45 mins, is pretty hard.. you may not be wearing your mask properly, you may touch your mouth or cough or sneeze and the mask not be tight enough etc etc). You have now infected the person next to you. You get on the gatwick express. You infect someone you are sat next to there. The person next to you on the plane goes home .. lives with her sister.. her sister is not isolating. You give her covid, unknowingly. You dont have symptoms but are isolating so you no longer are passing it onto anyone. She doesnt have symptoms either.. she passes it onto all her co workers or the poor old lady she sat next to on the bus. etc etc etc.
I agree with you.

Just a datapoint from Hong Kong which imposes strict quarantine and requires a test on arrival and on end of quarantine. Most arrivals (not all) also require a 72h pre-departure test, so most pax will have tested negative before departing (although there are some doubt on the reliability of tests from countries like Nepal, India,..).
The daily order of magnitude for the number of arriving pax is 500
In a two-weeks period in December, 19 pax got positive on arrival and 18 in their 14 days quarantine (was raised to 21 days subsequently). HK has more comprehensive longer-term statistics but I don't have them.

This does not answer the question about the efficacy of the pre-departure tests, as those positive do not fly. All that can be said is that the number of positive arrival tests was much much larger before the pre-departure tests were instituted some months ago.The 50+% positive (19/37) upon arrival shows how silly the magic 7% number quoted by UK government is. Before the pre-departure testing, the number of positive cases upon arrival was much larger so the breakdown between positive on arrival and positive after quarantine was very different.

WE don't know how pax who develop covid during quarantine got infected. It could be that they got infected prior to taking their 72h predeparture test or prior to flying. They could also have been infected during the flight as demonstrated in the New Zealand case..
Old Jan 10, 2021, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I might be misunderstanding you but do you really think that a private individual paying for a single test should be able to access the same price as the monopoly national healthcare provider contracting half a million assays? Also the tests bought by the Scottish government are not a PCR test and require considerably less manpower and fewer consumables to run, entirely aside from the fact that the NHS will be providing their own staff to conduct the test, and staff costs (as in almost all areas of healthcare) make up by far the highest proportion of overall expense.
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
However, Comparing it to the price Scotland paid in a 0.5m test deal is ridiculous.

The majority of cost is the manpower and overhead of the facility not just the materials / reagent.
I meant to provide an example that I know of. Of how, in moving from the public purse to Main street, the same thing - produced by the same company, same product - managed to increase its costs not once, not twice, not three times.. but almost 9 times. I'll say it again so everyone who actually bothers to read is clear: I-am-not-saying-the-price-should-be-the-same. I am saying that either Boots is using Giannis Antetokounmpo to develop those tests or they are making a killing on each test they sell.

I'm not advocating the end of free market, but it's abundantly clear to me that this crisis is seen by many companies and many 'entrepreneurs' as a way of making fast money in a very questionable way.
IAN-UK and Obruni Boy like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 1:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by GBOAC
Why extra for the certificate? Isn't the test result enough? How do they give you the result of your £150 test if you don't pay for the certificate?
£180 per test, twice (both ways, if countries have similar needs) is £360 . I've just sorted my travel budget to the end of 2022 (assuming we can travel mid-year....), £360 is around 25-30% of my budgeted trip costs, and I can tell you with this level of financial drain, my team will be travelling less (as we just won't have the funds) and we will be forced to fly economy and be a lot less productive as our ticket costs will be re-routed to COVID payments.... Airline revenue will suffer as a result. I can't just ask for extra money to cover these additional costs at a moments notice. Of course we have a contingency in currency fluctuations and price shifts, but not to this degree....
Snap, were the same. There's already a reduced OPEX for travel as the business hasn't suffered as badly as expected by driving it via Zoom, so they're looking much harder at what justifies travel in the first place.

We'd kind of hoped there would be some element of treating the C19 vaccine like any other travel vac employees could go pay for and expenses but I think that was always a long shot.
The net result for us, a US based global corporate, will be a big reduction in travel, of others go the same way, which I suspect they will, then it can't be good for a recovery as I still believe most of BAs revenue comes from the business traveller.

​​​​​​As for leisure travel I have 2 kids over 11 plus myself and the Mrs, £150 per test, twice just says don't bother with a holiday right now tbh, not that we were thinking of anything before August anyway at best.

Last edited by tuonopepper; Jan 10, 2021 at 1:36 am
Old Jan 10, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tuonopepper
​​​​​​As for leisure travel I have 2 kids over 11 plus myself and the Mrs, £150 per test, twice just says don't bother with a holiday right now...
And that is surely the point.

A lot of people seem to have still not grasped that we are in a public health emergency, and if the only way of stopping them travelling is to make it as inconvenient and as expensive as possible then I'm all for that.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 3:54 am

Programs: OWE, *G
Given that it’s possible that Lateral Flow tests will be allowed, is that the same test as an Antigen test?
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Andrew35K
Given that it’s possible that Lateral Flow tests will be allowed, is that the same test as an Antigen test?
Antigen testing means looking for molecules from a disease, as opposed to antibody testing where you are looking for material relating to the immune response (mostly). So in that respect PCR, LAMP and Lateral Flow are all examples of antigen testing. PCR is sometimes not put in the antigen category since the processing is different, but it's still a molecular test of the virus itself.
Pelu and Andrew35K like this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Ah good point. Damn, I hadn’t read it properly. So the title isn’t indicative of the incoming process or did I miss a thread? Shouldn’t we just have one thread for BA passenger testing, arriving or departing.
Most of the threads on this subject are in the excellent dedicated coronavirus and travel forum, and include detailed information and discussion on incoming and outgoing requirements, including a parallel thread to this one discussing UK border restrictions. So if you missed a thread, it is probably there. It's an invaluable resource, and acknowledgement that this is a general question and not specific to one airline.

But I can't honestly blame BA for supply/demand PCR test pricing at either end of a trip, given they have nothing to do with it, nor does BA have much to do with questions about the morality of travelling under current circumstances. BA has stopped holiday bookings and has done at least as much as any other airline to reduce the pain of having to change arrangements and defer or cancel travel, so it's not as if it's forcing individuals to travel or lose their money. The restrictions aren't going anywhere soon, even when the UK is vaccinated to a high degree, other countries won't be. This, again, seems to have very little to do with BA. I guess it's possible that airlines may seek to put in place lower cost testing to generate demand when the infection rates have fallen back, and that might include BA too. But at the moment it doesn't.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2021, 6:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 13901
I meant to provide an example that I know of. Of how, in moving from the public purse to Main street, the same thing - produced by the same company, same product - managed to increase its costs not once, not twice, not three times.. but almost 9 times. I'll say it again so everyone who actually bothers to read is clear: I-am-not-saying-the-price-should-be-the-same. I am saying that either Boots is using Giannis Antetokounmpo to develop those tests or they are making a killing on each test they sell.

I'm not advocating the end of free market, but it's abundantly clear to me that this crisis is seen by many companies and many 'entrepreneurs' as a way of making fast money in a very questionable way.
just so that everyone else’s point is clear
the deal was for machines and materials.

The government is paying many more millions for the test centres, labs, logistics, result processing and everything else in between. So each test has a cost far higher than what you have calculated.

you are comparing the cost of seeds to the cost of apples on the shelves.

But the fact express test and collinson can do it for £80-99 and places in Germany can do it for c£40-50 shows boots etc are trying to make a killing.
Obruni Boy, James91 and lcylocal like this.

Last edited by TGLoyalty; Jan 11, 2021 at 2:41 am
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
When is this coming into effect?

Still no official guidance available at https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...1-e3109cce8eae

Is this government completely inept?
CrazyLilBlondie likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:57 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by destone
When is this coming into effect?

Still no official guidance available at https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...1-e3109cce8eae

Is this government completely inept?
Friday as reported on https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55626818
destone likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've put a few more details in the UK Travel Corridor thread in the Coronavirus forum.
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Is there any further detail (/speculation) regarding the permissibility of a test done in England prior to leaving for a day/one-night trip? Arguably this won’t currently affect many but some of us still have to do those trips for essential (and legally permitted) purposes.

I’m not expecting the further official details due to be published to make reference to this particular question and I’m afraid it might come down to airline/agent judgement...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
The wording of the to-be legislation focuses on the timeline of the test taken, and not location. In my view what you proposed should be fine.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:42 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by simonsmith
As some one else who is on the front line in the NHS, I could not agree more. It is simply dreadful at the moment. We had 20 plus covid deaths last weekend alone. I have all of 20 TPs since June last year and it will stay that way until it is sensible to travel again.
I don't work for the NHS and I'm so very lucky to be able to work from home. I know it is not much, but I just want to say thank you to you and all front-line workers.

I genuinely don't know you all do it, it really does take an amazing type of person to do what you all are doing, especially considering you guys must be absolutely exhausted at this point. I'm praying and hoping we are out of this as soon as possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.