Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA crew (including Captain) not enforcing face mask rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2021, 6:43 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by Gatwick_CC
Let me tell you that every single day our cabin crew are challenging customers and every single day we get pushback. But I assure you, we are doing our best.

It is not the cabin crews fault. Is it the fault of the passengers who think they’re above the law and don’t have the mental capacity to think of others. Please spare a thought just for a second, for the cabin crew who are having their own mental health challenged every day as they try to police masks.

What I don’t understand is why ( not the OP) so many pax have to ask the crew to ask someone elseto put their mask on. Why can’t just they just ask them themselves!

‘Edited to say that my last paragraph was a flippant comment. You can all be sure that I will continue to ensure compliance of Passenger PPE on my flights.... ‘
With all due respect and without diminishing what your experience, this is also the fault of BA crews. There are several BA pilots who are telling people mask are not useful, who are diminishing the pandemic (one of them is even denying the existence of the pandemic) and pushing disinformation and conspiracy theories on social media. Those people are publicly identified as BA pilots and have a large audience.
One of your pilot is obsessed with it and tweets all sort of misinformation all day long, this is the only thing his twitter is about now, he even claimed that thanks to their training, pilots can see the truth and they solved the pandemic !

Some of BA pilot tweets, without searching much (there are more from more than those 2 pilots):

Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I do wish that he would post his itineraries here so that I can make sure that I am not aboard as he seems to attract the extraordinary. Unbalanced rappers and now people who refuse to wear masks!
The unbalanced rapper is a (convicted) idiot (I actually didn't even post the story on here but just replied to somebody mentioning I was onboard and got involved together with other 3 people out of 13 sitting in F).

This trio I have no more words for - if you refuse to wear a mask in public without reason you are an idiot and going against law.

Maybe better if you share your itineraries with me as you seem to have more luck than I
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:11 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
OP, I'm interested if you have submitted a complaint and if so, what was the response? (If any)
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by 81romeo
What would you have done in a similar situation?
Knowing that I am putting myself onto public transport with zero influence to control the environment or other travelers, I would personally keep myself to myself complete with my noise-cancelling headphones that effectively create my own 'space' - very much as I do on most flights. I never seem to encounter behaviours often reported on this forum - all of my flights seem rather sedate - maybe I'm just completely oblivious or just ignore others and not allow anyone to interrupt my flight.

If I was to be irritated by the actions of others, I simply would not be putting myself into the situation, and potentially find other means to travel to my destination.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by realgaga
OP, I'm interested if you have submitted a complaint and if so, what was the response? (If any)
Not yet - planning to submit at some point today and will report back.
realgaga likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:20 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by rossmacd
........I would personally keep myself to myself complete with my noise-cancelling headphones that effectively create my own 'space' - very much as I do on most flights...
...to stop the virus entering via your ears?
81romeo and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by BOH
...to stop the virus entering via your ears?
If I was worried about catching the virus, I would not be travelling at all
Silver Fox and the810 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:32 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
We had a rather similar experience flying to PMI over the summer. Flight was more than half empty and my husband and I used our normal strategy of booking emergency exit window and aisle seats. Six Israelis( I assume they were Israelis as they were speaking Yiddish and wearing caps but forgive me if I am wrong) Boarded at the last minute wearing masks around their chins. They were in the row in front and behind and were talking over the seats. Cc asked them to put their masks on properly which they did for all of five minutes. After we had taken off this group decided to lower them around their necks, cc again requested them to comply. Request ignored so the captain came out and reminded them that it is compulsory to wear a mask properly on an aircraft, again once the captain returned to the cockpitmasks were removed. By this point I was so incensed by their careless behaviour I asked them to wear them properly. One big fat member of the groups swore at me and told me I was stupid if I thought a mask would save me. At this point my husband told me to leave it alone. Anyway I guess I didn’t catch Covid but it was an upsetting experience. Upon disembarkation I mentioned their behaviour to the captain and thanked him for trying to intervene. The captain told me their behaviour was noted and it was likely they would not be using their return tickets. Hopefully this was the case as even if you don’t see the benefit of wearing a mask, rules in the air have to be obeyed.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:33 am
Suspended

I hope you are aware that in the UK somebody who is exempt does not have to wear a face mask, nor do they have to disclose the reason why or show proof of their condition. Think twice before criticizing and name and shaming people not wearing them, you do not know their reasons as to why.
IAMORGAN, Silver Fox and the810 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
HMG says:

Exemption cards

If you have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering:
  • you do not routinely need to show any written evidence of this
  • you do not need show an exemption card
This means that you do not need to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about your reason for not wearing a face covering.

However, some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

So, the bottom line is that if you are going to travel ex-UK then you need to be prepared for this situation. Not sure what BA could have enforced here under the law but happy to have it pointed out for clarity.
81romeo and KULKyle like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by KULKyle
I hope you are aware that in the UK somebody who is exempt does not have to wear a face mask, nor do they have to disclose the reason why or show proof of their condition. Think twice before criticizing and name and shaming people not wearing them, you do not know their reasons as to why.
Why think twice? My experience is that those who are genuinely exempt are happy to explain in generic detail why they are exempt and those taking the p*ss are far more likely to respond aggressively. When I get an aggressive response I keep pushing knowing full well that CC will more likely intervene in an aggressive confrontation than they will to a calm conversation.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrow
Why think twice? My experience is that those who are genuinely exempt are happy to explain in generic detail why they are exempt and those taking the p*ss are far more likely to respond aggressively. When I get an aggressive response I keep pushing knowing full well that CC will more likely intervene in an aggressive confrontation than they will to a calm conversation.
As someone with a condition that allows for an exemption, I would promptly inform you my health conditions are none of your concern and if it upsets you sit somewhere else. Unless of course you are a doctor in the field of expertise as my condition who can offer some helpful medical advice, in which case I would ask to see your credentials before discussing my personal health needs with a stranger.
Silver Fox and the810 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by mrow
Why would they have to explain anything to you?
IAMORGAN and the810 like this.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:49 am

I personally think that if someone is exempt from wearing a mask, they should carry proof of this so that they can show it to anyone who challenges them about it.

so many people are getting away with saying they’re exempt and the staff can’t do anything about it. If someone says they’re exempt, there’s nothing else they can do really and it needs to change.

Masks are horrible to wear, but quite essential at these times.. especially when you’re in such close quarters like on an aircraft.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 7:52 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Not yet - planning to submit at some point today and will report back.
I'll save you the time....

Dear 81romeo,

We're sorry to hear you felt unsafe during your recent flight with is. We understand how frustrating this was, especially as you couldn't relax before your flight. This isn’t what you should expect of us, and we understand why you needed to complain.

Unfortunately, as a result of Covid-19, masks are compulsory onboard all our flights unless a passenger has a hidden disability. I'm sorry you weren't aware of this before you travelled.

I note you spoke with the Captain who reemphasised the point of our inflight lead. I know this wasn't the answer you were hoping for.

Once again, please accept our apologies for your experience on this trip. We hope to welcome you back on board soon. If I can help with anything else, please contact me directly using the blue link below.

Best regards

Person XYZ
DYKWIA, IAMORGAN and chris1922Mk2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.