Search

BA resumes flights FROM Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BA resumes flights FROM Hong Kong

As we all know, BA was struck with a 2-week ban for health violation from LHR (expiring 25 December) and then to the indefinite ban for all flights from UK.
BA passenger carriage *TO* HKG suspended for 2 weeks [to 25 Dec]

BA resumes today ifs daily BA28 HKG-LHR. Loads could be dismal, but who knows? It will be the only airline flying nonstop to LHR. CX and VS are not flying.

Freight capacity is in high demand on UK-HKG as cargo crew are subject to the same 21-day strict quarantine in Hong Kong and CX drastically cut its cargo flights.. For example M&S has problem supplying its Hong Kong stores.

I assume that BA27 from LHR flies with a limited crew (complement plus the crew required on the returning BA28 (not allowed to leave the aircraft).
sbs2716g likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 4:24 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by brunos
I assume that BA27 from LHR flies with a limited crew (complement plus the crew required on the returning BA28 (not allowed to leave the aircraft).
So both sets of crew need to spend 36 hours on board, unless they reschedule the outbound to depart LHR at 6am?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by :D!
So both sets of crew need to spend 36 hours on board, unless they reschedule the outbound to depart LHR at 6am?
It is the HKG-LHR BA28 that is rescheduled for a day flight back rather than the usual overnight.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Airprox
It is the HKG-LHR BA28 that is rescheduled for a day flight back rather than the usual overnight.
Indeed BA28 is rescheduled to depart at 4:25pm (instead of 11:45pm) and arrives at 9:45pm.
BA27 (no pax) is rescheduled 2h early; departs LHR at 7pm, arrives HKG at 2pm next day.
Hence less than 3h on the ground at HKG.

Apparently the F cabin is closed to booking. Maybe they use it for the flight crew.
And flights does not seem daily anymore.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Indeed BA28 is rescheduled to depart at 4:25pm (instead of 11:45pm) and arrives at 9:45pm.
BA27 (no pax) is rescheduled 2h early; departs LHR at 7pm, arrives HKG at 2pm next day.

Apparently the F cabin is closed to booking. Maybe they use it for the flight crew.
Not a surprise to me, I remember i searched the seating load this afternoon 15 mins prior to departure on EF out of interest and the loadings are really low. IIRC there’s only 5 pax in CW, 4 in WTP and 11 in WT. I guess most of the pax has already rebooked into later dates (12 jan or after or into QR connecting flights)

Regarding BA27 inbound to Hong Kong schedule did they use the slot for BA31?
Old Jan 3, 2021, 8:56 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by flyingroundtheworld
Regarding BA27 inbound to Hong Kong schedule did they use the slot for BA31?
No BA31 goes out at 1840 normally. I’m guessing there is not a great deal of pressure on slots at either end right now.

Could also be for the cabin crew on the outbound too. I suppose it depends if the Hong Kong authorities let cleaners on etc. during the turnaround.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given that there is not likely heavy cargo demand xHKG, BA operates the aircraft back one way or the other. Thus, poor loads will not affect frequencies so long as xLHR freight holds up enough to turn a profit in both directions.

Given that the aircraft is passenger-free xLHR, cleaning and catering at HKG should be minimal to nil and not operating an F cabin affords a rather spacious galley for additional supplies.

Nonetheless, a rather miserable crew experience remaining onboard for the entire time, even with a 3-hour ground time.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: MUCCI
Interesting indeed.
I suspect the F cabin has been canned as it would then mean 3 less crew. Given the loads described above you would only need a very minimal crew anyway and if you have a crew on a 777 of around 17 normally if you get rid of the 3 in F you get, hey presto - 14 - doesn't that ring a bell with the number of F seats on the 777-300.......
It is miserable with a 3 hour turnaround but at least it is not multiple weeks of quarantine and then with 20 pax only honestly 3 cabin crew could do that easily as the food and beverage offering is minimal anyway. Finally I guess that you could for 20 also just move everyone into the J cabin and run it that way. Not sure if they would ever advertise this but again would reduce crew needs further and actually makes it easier....
Will be interesting to see if anyone gets any feedback on what actually was being done....
FD.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, QR Gold, CX Silver, ITA Executive, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Interesting indeed.
I suspect the F cabin has been canned as it would then mean 3 less crew. Given the loads described above you would only need a very minimal crew anyway and if you have a crew on a 777 of around 17 normally if you get rid of the 3 in F you get, hey presto - 14 - doesn't that ring a bell with the number of F seats on the 777-300.......
It is miserable with a 3 hour turnaround but at least it is not multiple weeks of quarantine and then with 20 pax only honestly 3 cabin crew could do that easily as the food and beverage offering is minimal anyway. Finally I guess that you could for 20 also just move everyone into the J cabin and run it that way. Not sure if they would ever advertise this but again would reduce crew needs further and actually makes it easier....
Will be interesting to see if anyone gets any feedback on what actually was being done....
FD.
For the service, my friend flew with BA to LHR in sept 2020, though it is not in jan, it’s also at the time of reduced catering service. Her flight is delayed and many passengers have rescheduled to other flights, making the load exceptionally low as well. The crews didn’t shift all pax to the same cabin andy friend was in WTP. She mentioned to me that the crews bring out meals one by one, serving it directly without a trolley, which makes the service much more personal, IIRC she told me there’s only 2 pax in WTP on that flight and a handful of them in WT and CW as well.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Would be interesting once passengers are allowed back into HKG, whether BA will continue to operate the flights in this manner. They may want to minimise the risk of their crew testing positive upon entry to HKG so will double crew ex-LHR while loads are low.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 9:21 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by Often1
Given that there is not likely heavy cargo demand xHKG,
I would have thought the reverse - much more cargo going HKG-LHR than LHR-HKG. I have seen a lot of items made just across the border in China are exported from Hong Kong, as well as items shipped from China depart by the major couriers from HKG, not from China.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Cargo is heavy in both directions. And very heavy now that even cargo/courrier airlines have cancelled flights on the route.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 3:25 am

As crew, how do you shower/freshen up if you are not allowed off the aircraft. Surely it must be beyond acceptable working conditions to be basically stuck on an aircraft with no ability to wash and properly stretch your legs for what I presume is around 28 hrs straight?
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:50 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I would have thought the reverse - much more cargo going HKG-LHR than LHR-HKG. I have seen a lot of items made just across the border in China are exported from Hong Kong, as well as items shipped from China depart by the major couriers from HKG, not from China.
There is a lot of electronics waiting for free slots back to the UK, as the capacity is very low and BA will be making more money from Cargo as Air Freight pricing is through the roof, from what i have been told by a couple of our account managers at major computing firms, as we are in a queue to get kit out from the factories in Shenzhen.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
I suspect the F cabin has been canned as it would then mean 3 less crew. Given the loads described above you would only need a very minimal crew anyway and if you have a crew on a 777 of around 17 normally if you get rid of the 3 in F you get, hey presto - 14 - doesn't that ring a bell with the number of F seats on the 777-300
This rang a bell with me: Avios on Maldives :)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.