Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:50 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
OK, well make sure you document accurately what the captain says, in case it gets to CEDR. Normally that would be a scenario where compensation is payable.
Thank you. But does the CEDR work for not UK people too?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
Thank you. But does the CEDR work for not UK people too?
Yes. I live in Switzerland and went through CEDR last year. I believe the qualification is whether the airline is registered with CEDR or not. BA is.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Lefly
I would kindly need to check if my reading of EC261 regulation is correct.
LGW-PUJ, 3h 15m delay at arrival. Could I claim for compensation, since the flight was +1500 miles with a delay over 3h?

Thank you in advance!
I think I was on the same flight Lefly - BA2204 on the 26th?

I’ve already submitted a claim. I’ve got a screenshot of BA’s flight info, showing a late arrival of 3hr 1m.
Lefly likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by HHarry
I think I was on the same flight Lefly - BA2204 on the 26th?

I’ve already submitted a claim. I’ve got a screenshot of BA’s flight info, showing a late arrival of 3hr 1m.
I was on BA2205 on the 26th. Were you on the same flight or the flight back to LGW, obviously delayed as well?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:57 am

Hi,
First time poster so hope i am doing this right.
Our flight from GLA to LHR was cancelled while we were enroute to the airport on Feb 26th due to the system problems resulting in our taxi having to do a u turn and take us home to pick up our car and drive to LHR as we had a flight at 11.40am on the 27th and the flights that BA rebooked us on werent getting us into LHR until after our flight departed.
We had to book 2 weeks car parking at LHR and we had to cancel our return flight on March 12th as obviously we had to drive home too as our car was in LHR.
Can one of you lovely people please help me as to how to go about claiming for compensation for this?
I have fuel receipts, the car park booking receipt and 1 food receipt, can I claim for those? Also can i claim on EC261 as well? Do these get done on the one claim or are the 2 separate claims? Im a novice at this so forgive me if i am asking stupid questions lol as a 9 hour drive after a 10 hour flight is messing with my brain lol
Any advice would be helpful, thanks
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by legospice
Hi,
First time poster so hope i am doing this right.
Our flight from GLA to LHR was cancelled while we were enroute to the airport on Feb 26th due to the system problems resulting in our taxi having to do a u turn and take us home to pick up our car and drive to LHR as we had a flight at 11.40am on the 27th and the flights that BA rebooked us on werent getting us into LHR until after our flight departed.
We had to book 2 weeks car parking at LHR and we had to cancel our return flight on March 12th as obviously we had to drive home too as our car was in LHR.
Can one of you lovely people please help me as to how to go about claiming for compensation for this?
I have fuel receipts, the car park booking receipt and 1 food receipt, can I claim for those? Also can i claim on EC261 as well? Do these get done on the one claim or are the 2 separate claims? Im a novice at this so forgive me if i am asking stupid questions lol as a 9 hour drive after a 10 hour flight is messing with my brain lol
Edited based on new info. You can get GBP 220 under UK261 (not EC261), as well as reimbursement of food and fuel costs. If BA refuse, lodge a CEDR claim

Last edited by jomala05; Mar 13, 2022 at 9:22 am
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum.

You can put this on one claim if you share a surname, otherwise you better split the claim in half and cross reference the claims to each other. You should get EC261 cancellation compensation and the food, these aren't controversial. The fuel too, I doubt BA will push back on this. For the car parking - that's more problematic and it may be that BA will do that ex-gratia or invite you to send that to your travel insurers. I know you had no notice of this, so it's all needs-must, but ideally it's best to take the train + taxi (up to Ł50 per person) to ensure that you get a full repayment. You claim here, it's sometimes easier not to add the receipts to begin with but to send them in spearately via the email link you will get. If your first attempt fails, try submitting without being logged in to your BAEC account.

ba.com/complaints
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jomala05
Was your connecting flight on the same ticket? If yes, unbelievable how BA could re-book you to a flight GLA-LHR not synced with the connection without also re-booking the connection, and of course they should reimburse you the extra costs. Unless they manipulated you into agreeing to change the start of your contract from GLA to LHR, in which case they're off the hook.
If the connection was on a separate tickets, AFAIK BA are entirely off the hook.
Please correct me anyone if I'm mistaken anywhere
It was not a connecting flight, it was a separate flight booked with another airline on a different day. Not a lot of airlines fly internationally to places i want to go to so the only option is to fly to LHR with BA the day before and stay in a hotel overnight before our international flight and vice versa on the way home too
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:11 am

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum.

You can put this on one claim if you share a surname, otherwise you better split the claim in half and cross reference the claims to each other. You should get EC261 cancellation compensation and the food, these aren't controversial. The fuel too, I doubt BA will push back on this. For the car parking - that's more problematic and it may be that BA will do that ex-gratia or invite you to send that to your travel insurers. I know you had no notice of this, so it's all needs-must, but ideally it's best to take the train + taxi (up to Ł50 per person) to ensure that you get a full repayment. You claim here, it's sometimes easier not to add the receipts to begin with but to send them in spearately via the email link you will get. If your first attempt fails, try submitting without being logged in to your BAEC account.

ba.com/complaints
Thank you,
The train would have taken 4 connections with a travel time of 10.5 hours at a cost of Ł355 per person one way so we opted to drive the 9 hours as it was cheaper for us (and them if we had a claim)
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It was not a connecting flight, it was a separate flight booked with another airline on a different day. Not a lot of airlines fly internationally to places i want to go to so the only option is to fly to LHR with BA the day before and stay in a hotel overnight before our international flight and vice versa on the way home too
OK, well unfortunately that means I can't see BA offering you 2 weeks of car parking. But the food, petrol and EC261 cancellation should be OK.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:24 am

Thank you,
The train would have taken 4 connections with a travel time of 10.5 hours at a cost of Ł355 per person one way so we opted to drive the 9 hours as it was cheaper for us (and them if we had a claim)
Yeah, then I don't see how BA could refuse to reimburse you for fuel and meals. Try getting the parking refunded as well. You can also get GBP 220 in UK261 compensation, but BA will no doubt claim extraordinary circumstances (no idea which one - IME they'll pull any BS to make you go away). Lodge a CEDR claim if you're not statisfied.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:26 am

OK, well unfortunately that means I can't see BA offering you 2 weeks of car parking. But the food, petrol and EC261 cancellation should be OK.
Thank you so much for your help.
So, do i start the claim through the link and start with asking for EC261 then ask for the other stuff?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:28 am

Thank you so much for your help.
So, do i start the claim through the link and start with asking for EC261 then ask for the other stuff?
The other stuff goes under UK261 as well, the fuel being part of the re-routing (you have the right to choose between a ticket refund or re-routing), and the food being "right of care" costs. Remember to clearly state you're claiming GBP 220 under UK261 given that the form is called EC261, or else BA will refuse saying UK's not part of the EU and EC261 doesn't apply within the UK.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:33 am

The other stuff goes under UK261 as well, the fuel being part of the re-routing (you have the right to choose between a ticket refund or re-routing), and the food being "right of care" costs. Remember to clearly state you're claiming GBP 220 under UK261 given that the form is called EC261, or else BA will refuse saying UK's not part of the EU and EC261 doesn't apply within the UK.
Thank you for the UK261 thing, i hadnt thought of that. So, is that GBP 220 per person or per booking?
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:35 am
Original Poster

I am not aware of BA doing this, BA internally refer to all claims as EC261. There is a bit of confusion as to whether to pay the sterling or Euro amount, but that's about the limit of it. But the OP just puts it on the Complaints form as an Item using Other on the drop down.
legospice likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.