Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2021, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Print Wikipost

The 2021/22 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2021, 1:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The AA ticket issue is for real, but there are AA staff working in T5. I don't think there was a perfect answer here, the reality of the current state of affairs is that any complexity in travel arrangements really doesn't work at the moment. And to be fair, a few hours of delay pre-pandemic could easily have lead to the same outcome.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:12 am

Bump- can anyone please offer any advice? Many thanks
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
Do you know the reason for the cancellation? An EU261 claim might pay out more than downgrade compensation.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Here are the cancellation codes for the two flights on 12/20/21 as reported in expertflyer.
BA2550: OPEN (Operational No)
BA2712: OPEY (Operational Yes)

So at least the cancellation of BA2712 (from BA's point of view) entitles you to a compensation under EU 261/2004.
Downgrade compensation you'll be entitled to in any case.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Downgrade compensation would be 30% of the fare paid and is not dependent on EU261 excuses, as I understand. I suspect BA might try to invoke COVID/weather as reasons why they are not liable to pay compensation to you.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html

This wiki might be of use. It's comprehensive, so keep scrolling until you find the relevant parts.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Does a note on Expertflyer showing "FLIGHT CANCELLED COVN" mean that BA will argue that cancellation was for non-operational Covid reasons so that no comp is payable ? The note also shows "1029" to the right of the cancellation entry - any idea what that refers to (this flight was almost certainly cancelled long after 29 Oct !) ?
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:16 am

Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Do you know the reason for the cancellation? An EU261 claim might pay out more than downgrade compensation.
No reason was given for either of the two cancellations.

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Here are the cancellation codes for the two flights on 12/20/21 as reported in expertflyer.
BA2550: OPEN (Operational No)
BA2712: OPEY (Operational Yes)

So at least the cancellation of BA2712 (from BA's point of view) entitles you to a compensation under EU 261/2004.
Downgrade compensation you'll be entitled to in any case.
After reading about EU261, I'm not sure that it does entitle me to cancellation under the departure one hour earlier/arrival two hours later than scheduled rule. The cancelled flight time was 11:10-15:05, and the flights taken were 10:10-13:45 & 15:45-17:00.
The downgrade compensation looks to be ok. Unclear whether they will offer the % refund it against the affected leg (and how they calculate value of total if this is the case) or the total booking price. % refund is also unclear, the original AGP leg would be over 1500km so category 2, but MAD is under 1500km so category 1.

Originally Posted by BrianDromey
Downgrade compensation would be 30% of the fare paid and is not dependent on EU261 excuses, as I understand. I suspect BA might try to invoke COVID/weather as reasons why they are not liable to pay compensation to you.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...61-2004-a.html

This wiki might be of use. It's comprehensive, so keep scrolling until you find the relevant parts.
This is a useful link (of course the thread has been merged and we end up here anyway!)
Old Dec 22, 2021, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is not downgrade situation. You were rebooked to a different flight albeit i ET rather than CE. You requested and accepted the new itinerary rather than waiting for a different flight with CE. This has nothing to do with downgrade under EC Reg. 261/04.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
A question for the experts if I may.

BA Cancelled my flight with more than 14 days notice and rebooked me the next day.

I was under the impression that duty of care applied no matter how far in advance the flight was cancelled?
BA have just rejected my claim for the extra nights hotel and a small meal stating that they gave me more than 14 days notice. Is this correct?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
No, the 14 day rule is connected to rebooking, there is no such timeline on Right to Care. So you could ask them to confirm this is their final answer and then go off to MCOL. CEDR seemingly would want evidence of you giving BA a hard time over the rebooking.
S_W_S likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 4:54 am

Thanks CWS, sent them a reply saying as much. Will report back if they continue to deny it or if they agree to pay.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 10:51 am

Hi! Hoping for some clarification on my options/eligibility for compensation. I just got notification (while sitting in LHR on my outbound!) that for my return flight, the CDG-LHR portion of our CDG-LHR-LAX itinerary has been canceled at the T-9 day mark (so within 14, but not 7). I have not been auto-rebooked onto a replacement CDG-LHR flight. It looks like there is a flight out at 7am - an ungodly hour on New Years Day - but that’s 3.5hrs earlier than my original flight, plus the total travel time is much longer. I’d prefer to avoid that option. Would it be unreasonable to ask to be put on the AF nonstop CDG-LAX that departs around when my original flight was meant to depart? And am I eligible for compensation regardless of how I get rebooked?
Old Dec 23, 2021, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meehgz
Hi! Hoping for some clarification on my options/eligibility for compensation. I just got notification (while sitting in LHR on my outbound!) that for my return flight, the CDG-LHR portion of our CDG-LHR-LAX itinerary has been canceled at the T-9 day mark (so within 14, but not 7). I have not been auto-rebooked onto a replacement CDG-LHR flight. It looks like there is a flight out at 7am - an ungodly hour on New Years Day - but that’s 3.5hrs earlier than my original flight, plus the total travel time is much longer. I’d prefer to avoid that option. Would it be unreasonable to ask to be put on the AF nonstop CDG-LAX that departs around when my original flight was meant to depart? And am I eligible for compensation regardless of how I get rebooked?
Traditionally BA won't rebook on to AF even though it may be one way to avoid compensation. They would only rebook on to AF if it was a cancellation on the day or day before. If you leave more than 2 hours earlier then you get compensation but since you arrive presumably on time then the usual 600€ rate gets cut in half to 300€. If you can come up with another BA, IB or oneworld option that is more acceptable then by all means suggest it to BA, but you probably do yourself out of compensation if it is different to BA's suggested replacement.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
No, the 14 day rule is connected to rebooking, there is no such timeline on Right to Care. So you could ask them to confirm this is their final answer and then go off to MCOL. CEDR seemingly would want evidence of you giving BA a hard time over the rebooking.
I kind of expected a better response, but clearly not, so time for me to look at the next steps I guess.

As previously discussed, we're unable to reimburse your expenses because we told you about the cancellation at least 14 days before you were due to depart. Unfortunately, we're unable to change this outcome and our response is final.
I do wonder how much it costs BA to process CEDR and MCOL cases when they could just pay up.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Does EC261 downgrade compensation apply when the downgrade is 6 months in advance? I had F ticket LHR-JNB that they have downgraded to J but they have not offered any compensation. I do see that EC261 applies for delays or cancellations only within a certain timeframe. is there a similar timeframe for downgrades? Or does it require BA to compensate me for downgrading from F->J 6 months in advance?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.